- List of books about the War of 1812
List of books about the War of 1812 is a selective,
annotated bibliographyusing APA style citations of the many books related to the War of 1812. There are thousands of books and articles written about this topic. Only the most useful are presented. For a guide to the historiography, see Donald R. Hickey, "The War of 1812: Still a Forgotten Conflict?," "The Journal of Military History," Vol. 65, No. 3 (Jul., 2001), pp. 741-769 [http://www.jstor.org/stable/2677533 in JSTOR]
* Adams, Henry. "History of the United States during the Administrations of James Madison" (1891; Library of America ed. 1986). classic American narrative; Garry Wills, "Henry Adams and the Making of America" (2005) is a close reading of Adams's history.
* Benn, Carl. "The War of 1812" [http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=107722609 online version; Oxford, UK 2002 (ISBN 41764663)] , short overview
* Berton, Pierre; "The Invasion of Canada: 1812-1813" (1980). ISBN 0-7710-1244-6; "Flames Across the Border: 1813-1814" (1981). ISBN 0-7710-1235-7 popular Canadian narrative
* Borneman, Walter R. "1812: The War That Forged a Nation" (2004), popular
* Heidler, Donald & Jeanne T. Heidler (eds) "Encyclopedia of the War of 1812" (2nd ed 2004) 636pp; most comprehensive guide; 500 entries by 70 scholars from several countries
* Hickey, Donald R. [http://www.press.uillinois.edu/f06/hickey.html "Don't Give Up the Ship! Myths of the War of 1812".] (2006) ISBN 0-252-03179-2
* Hickey, Donald R. [http://www.press.uillinois.edu/s95/hickey.html "The War of 1812: A Forgotten Conflict".] ISBN 0-252-06059-8 (1990), standard scholarly history
* Hitsman, J. M. "The Incredible War of 1812" (1965), survey by Canadian scholar
* Langguth, A. J. "Union 1812: The Americans Who Fought the Second War of Independence" (2006) 495pp, popular history
* Latimer, Jon, "1812: War with America" (Harvard, 2007). A scholarly British perspective ISBN 0-674-02584-9
* Suthren, Victor. "The War of 1812" (1999). ISBN 0771083173
* Zuehlke, Mark. "For Honour's Sake: The War of 1812 and the Brokering of an Uneasy Peace." (2007) ISBN 0676977057
Causes and diplomacy
* Brown, Roger H. "The Republic in Peril: 1812" (1964), on American politics
* Burt, Alfred L. "The United States, Great Britain, and British North America from the Revolution to the Establishment of Peace after the War of 1812". [http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=750041 (1940), detailed history by Canadian scholar; online]
* Carr, Albert Z., "The Coming of War: An Account of the Remarkable Events Leading to the War of 1812", Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1960
* Goodman, Warren H. "The Origins of the War of 1812: A Survey of Changing Interpretations," "Mississippi Valley Historical Review", 28 (September, 1941), 171-86. in JSTOR
* Donald R. Hickey, "The War of 1812" in Julian E. Zelizer, ed. "The American Congress" (2004), pp 93-111
* Horsman, Reginald. "The Causes of the War of 1812". (1962). ISBN 0-498-04087-9 [http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=55079259 online version]
* Lawrence S. Kaplan. "France and Madison's Decision for War 1812," "The Mississippi Valley Historical Review," Vol. 50, No. 4. (Mar., 1964), pp. 652-671. [http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0161-391X%28196403%2950%3A4%3C652%3AFAMDFW%3E2.0.CO%3B2-J in JSTOR]
* Perkins, Bradford. "Prologue to War: England and the United States, 1805-1812". 1961.
* Pratt, Julius W. "Expansionists of 1812". (1925)
* Pratt, Julius W. "Western War Aims in the War of 1812," "Mississippi Valley Historical Review", 12 (June, 1925), 36-50. in JSTOR
* Risjord, Norman K. "1812: Conservatives, War Hawks, and the Nation's Honor," "William and Mary Quarterly", 3d ser., 18 (April, 1961), 196-210. in JSTOR
* Marshall Smelser. "The Democratic Republic 1801-1815" (1968). general survey of American politics and diplomacy
* Rutland, Robert A. "The Presidency of James Madison" (1990)
* Stagg, John C. A. "Mr. Madison's War: Politics, Diplomacy, and Warfare in the Early American republic, 1783-1830". (1983).
** [http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0043-5597%28197610%293%3A33%3A4%3C557%3AJMAT%22T%3E2.0.CO%3B2-X Stagg, J. C. A. "James Madison and the 'Malcontents': The Political Origins of the War of 1812," "William and Mary Quarterly" (Oct., 1976)]
** [http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0043-5597%28198101%293%3A38%3A1%3C3%3AJMATCO%3E2.0.CO%3B2-W J.C.A. Stagg, "James Madison and the Coercion of Great Britain: Canada, the West Indies, and the War of 1812," in "The William and Mary Quarterly"(Jan., 1981)] in JSTOR
* Taylor, George Rogers, ed. "The War of 1812: Past Justifications and Present Interpretations" (1963), selections from historians and primary sources
Treaty of Ghent and Aftermath
* A. L. Burt. "The United States, Great Britain and British North America from the Revolution to the Establishment of Peace after the War of 1812." (1940) [http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=750041 online edition]
* Engelman, Fred L. "The Peace of Christmas Eve" (1962), popular account
* Donald R. Hickey. "The War of 1812: A Forgotten Conflict" (1990) pp 281-98.
* Perkins, Bradford. "Castelereagh and Adams: England and the United States, 1812-1823." (1964), the standard scholarly history
* Robert Vincent Remini. "Henry Clay: Statesman for the Union" (1991) pp 94-122
*cite journal |last=Stacey |first=C. P. |authorlink= |coauthors= |year=1950 |month= |title=The Myth of the Unguarded Frontier, 1815-1871 |journal=American Historical Review |volume=56 |issue=1 |pages=1–18 |doi=10.2307/1840618 |url= |accessdate= |quote=
* Elting, John R. "Amateurs, To Arms! A Military History of the War of 1812". 1991. ISBN 0-945575-08-4 (hardcover); ISBN 0-306-80653-3 (1995 Da Capo Press paperback).
* Hickey, Donald. "The War of 1812: A Forgotten Conflict". 1989.
* Latimer, Jon, "1812: War with America", Cambridge, MA: Harvard, 2007.
* Quimby, Robert S., "The US Army in the War of 1812: an operational and command study" (1997) [http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=42476620 online version]
* Thomas D. Clark. "Kentucky In The Northwest Campaign" In Philip P. Mason, ed. "After Tippecanoe: Some Aspects of the War of 1812" (Michigan State UP: 1963) pp 78-98 [http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=6364250 online version]
* Stanley, George F.G. "The War of 1812: Land Operations" (1983) Macmillan of Canada. ISBN 0-7715-9859-9 Canadian perspective
* Smith, Joshua M. "Borderland Smuggling: Patriots, Loyalists, and Illicit Trade in the Northeast, 1783-1820" (Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 2006)
* Zaslow. M. ED. "The Defended Border: Upper Canada and the War of 1812" (1964) scholarly essays
* Bennett H. Young, "The Battle of the Thames" (Louisville, 1903).
Gulf and New Orleans
* Owsley, Frank. "Struggle for the Gulf borderlands: the Creek War and the battle of New Orleans 1812-1815" (1981)
*Pickles, Tim "New Orleans 1815"; Osprey Campaign Series, #28. Osprey Publishing, 1993.
*Remini, Robert V. "The Battle of New Orleans: Andrew Jackson and America's First Military Victory". Viking Penguin, 1999. ISBN 0-670-88551-7
* Dunbar Rowland; "Andrew Jackson's Campaign against the British, or, the Mississippi Territory in the War of 1812, concerning the Military Operations of the Americans, Creek Indians, British, and Spanish, 1813-1815" (1926), [http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=77351727 online version]
oldiers and Generals
* Peter Burroughs, "Prevost, Sir George," "Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online" [http://www.biographi.ca/EN/ShowBio.asp?BioId=36742&query=prevost online version]
* Freeman Cleaves. "Old Tippecanoe: William Henry Harrison and His Time" (1990)
* C. Edward Skeen, "John Armstrong, Jr., 1758-1843" (1981)
* Lawrence Delbert Cress. "Citizens in arms: The army and the militia in American society to the War of 1812" (1982)
* Charles Winslow Elliott. "Winfield Scott: The Soldier and the Man." 1937. [http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=54828930 online version]
* J. M. Hitsman, “Sir George Prevost’s conduct of the Canadian War of 1812,” "Canadian Historical Association Report, 1962": 34–43.
* Timothy D. Johnson. "Winfield Scott: The Quest for Military Glory" (1998)
* W. Kaye Lamb, “Sir Isaac Brock: The Hero of Queenston Heights,” in Philip P. Mason, ed. "After Tippecanoe: Some Aspects of the War of 1812" (Michigan State UP: 1963) pp 17-27
* W. K. Lamb, "The hero of Upper Canada" (Toronto, 1962), Brock
* Leland Winfield Meyer, "The Life and Times of Colonel Richard M. Johnson" (1932)
*Remini, Robert V. "Andrew Jackson and the Course of American Empire, 1767-1821" (1977)
* Skelton, William. 'High army leadership in the era of the War of 1812: the making and remaking of the officer corps,' "William and Mary Quarterly" 51 (1994) in JSTOR
* C.P. Stacey. "BROCK, Sir ISAAC," "Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online" [http://www.biographi.ca/EN/ShowBio.asp?BioId=36410&query=isaac%20AND%20brock online version]
* Stagg, J., 'Enlisted men in the United States Army 1812-1815,' William and Mary Quarterly 43 (1986) in JSTOR
* Stagg, J., "Soldiers in peace and war: comparative perspectives on the recruitment of the United States Army, 1802–1815," "William and Mary Quarterly" 57 (2000) in JSTOR
* F. B. Tupper, "The Life and Correspondence of Major-General Sir Isaac Brock, K. B.," 2nd ed. (London, 1847),
* Turner, W. "British generals in the War of 1812: high command in the Canadas" (1999)
* Roosevelt, Theodore; "The naval War of 1812"; G.P. Putnam's Sons;
New York, New York; 1882: Reprinted; Naval Institute Press; Annapolis, Maryland; 1987; ISBN 0-87021-445-4. [http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/9104 eText Version] at Project Gutenberg.
* Berube, Claude G. and Rodgaard, John R., "A Call to the Sea: Captain Charles Stewart of the USS Constitution." (2005)
* E. A. Cruikshank, "The Contest for the Command of Lake Ontario in 1814," "Ontario Historical Society Papers and Records," XXI (1924).
* Mahan, Alfred Thayer. "The influence of sea power upon the War of 1812" 2 vols (1905)
* David Curtis Skaggs and William Jeffrey Welsh, eds. "War on the Great Lakes: Essays Commemorating the 175th Anniversary of the Battle of Lake Erie." Kent State University Press. 1991. [http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=23190118 online version]
* C. P. Stacey, “Naval Power On The Lakes, 1812-1814.” In Philip P. Mason, ed. "After Tippecanoe: Some Aspects of the War of 1812" (Michigan State UP: 1963) pp 49-59 [http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=6364250 online version]
* C. P. Stacey, "The Ships of the British Squadron on Lake Ontario, 1812-14," "Canadian Historical Review," XXXIV (December, 1953).
* Toll, Ian, "Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the US Navy", New York: W. W. Norton (2006)
* Allen, Robert S. "His Majesty's Indian Allies: Native Peoples, the British Crown, and the War of 1812" in "The Michigan Historical Review", 14:2 (Fall 1988), pp 1-24.
* Benn, Carl. "The Iroquois in the War of 1812". Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1998. ISBN 0-8020-8145-2
* Calloway, C. "Crown and Calumet: British-Indian relations, 1783-1815 "(1987)
* E. A. Cruikshank, “The ‘Chesapeake’ crisis as it affected Upper Canada,” "Ontario History", 24 (1927): 281–322;
* E. A. Cruikshank, “The employment of Indians in the War of 1812,” "American Historical Association, Annual report 1895": 319–35
*cite journal |last=Edmunds |first=R. David |authorlink= |coauthors= |year=1983 |month= |title=Tecumseh, The Shawnee Prophet, and American History: A Reassessment |journal=Western Historical Quarterly |volume=14 |issue=3 |pages=261–276 |doi=10.2307/969620 |url= |accessdate= |quote=
* Herbert C. W. Goltz, "Tecumseh" "Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online" [http://www.biographi.ca/EN/ShowBio.asp?BioId=36806&query=tecumseh online version]
* Reginald Horsman “The Role Of The Indian In The War,” In Philip P. Mason, ed. "After Tippecanoe: Some Aspects of the War of 1812" (Michigan State UP: 1963) pp 60-77 [http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=6364250 online version]
*cite journal |last=Horsman |first=Reginald |authorlink= |coauthors= |year= |month= |title=British Indian Policy in the Northwest, 1807-1812 |journal=Mississippi Valley Historical Review |volume=45 |issue=1 |pages=51–66 |doi=10.2307/1886695 |url= |accessdate= |quote=
* Owsley, Frank. "Struggle for the Gulf borderlands: the Creek War and the battle of New Orleans 1812-1815" (1981)
* George F. G. Stanley. "The Indians in the War of 1812," "Canadian Historical Review," XXXI (June, 1950)
* Sugden, John. "Tecumseh: A Life". New York: Holt, 1997. ISBN 0-8050-4138-9
* Berton, Pierre. "
The Invasion of Canada". Toronto: McClelland and Stewart, 1980. ISBN 0-316-09216-9.; "Flames Across the Border". Toronto: McClelland and Stewart, 1981. ISBN 0-316-09217-7. Popular military history from Canadian perspective
* Carter-Edwards, Dennis. "The War of 1812 Along the Detroit Frontier: A Canadian Perspective", in "The Michigan Historical Review", 13:2 (Fall 1987), pp. 25-50.
* Carter-Edwards, Dennis. "On to Canada: Manifest Destiny and United States Strategy in the War of 1812" in "The Michigan Historical Review", 13:2 (Fall 1987), pp. 1-24.
* Collins, G. "Guidebook to the historic sites of the War of 1812" (1998)
* George F. G. Stanley, "The Contribution Of The Canadian Militia During The War," in Philip P. Mason, ed. "After Tippecanoe: Some Aspects of the War of 1812" (Michigan State UP: 1963) pp 28-48 [http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=6364250 online version]
* Stagg, J., 'Between Black Rock and a hard place: Peter B. Porter's plan for an American invasion of Canada in 1812,' "Journal of the Early Republic" 19 (1999) in JSTOR
*cite book|author=Zaslow, Morris (ed.)|title=The defended border: Upper Canada and the War of 1812|publisher=MacMillan|location=Toronto|date=1964|oclc=480289
* Ernest A. Cruikshank, ed. "Documents relating to the invasion of Canada and the surrender of Detroit, 1812" (1912) reprinted 1971
* Dudley, W., (ed.) "The Naval War of 1812: a Documentary History" , 4 vols (1985-)
* Gellner, J. (ed), "Recollections of the War of 1812: Three Eyewitnesses'Accounts" (1964)
* Graves, D. (ed), "Merry hearts make light days: the War of 1812" journal of Lieutenant John Le Couteur, 104th Foot (1993)
* Graves, D. (ed), "Soldiers of 1814: American Enlisted Men's Memoirs of the Niagara Campaign" (1996)
* Klinck, C. & Talman, J. (eds), "The Journal of Major John Norton", 1816 (1970)
* Wood, W. (ed), "Select British Documents of the Canadian War of 1812", 4 vols (1920-28)
* [http://edsitement.neh.gov/view_lesson_plan.asp?id=570 President Madison's 1812 War Message, with lesson plans and numerous primary documents from US and Britain regarding the causes of the war]
* [http://www.biographi.ca/EN/index.html "Dictionary of Canadian Biography", long scholarly articles on all the major figures]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
Results of the War of 1812 — between the United Kingdom and the United States involved no geographical changes, with the exception of Carleton Island in the St. Lawrence River, which was captured by the United States and never returned, and no major policy changes. However… … Wikipedia
Origins of the War of 1812 — This article is about the Anglo American War of 1812 to 1815. For Napoleon s invasion of Russia, see French invasion of Russia. Origins of the War of 1812 Chesapeake–Leopard Affair Orders in Council (1807) Embargo Act of 1807 Non Intercourse Act… … Wikipedia
War of 1812 — This article is about the Anglo American War of 1812 to 1815. For other wars in 1812, see War of 1812 (disambiguation). War of 1812 The unfinished United States Capitol after the burning of Washington. Watercolor and i … Wikipedia
Vietnam Veterans Against the War — (VVAW) is a tax exempt non profit organization and corporation, originally created to oppose the Vietnam War. VVAW describes itself as a national veterans organization that campaigns for peace, justice, and the rights of all United States… … Wikipedia
List of American Civil War generals — The list of American Civil War (Civil War) generals has been divided into four articles: an introduction on this page, a list of Union Army generals, a list of Union brevet generals and a list of Confederate Army generals. The American Civil War… … Wikipedia
The British Empire in fiction — The British Empire has often been portrayed in fiction. Originally such works described the Empire because it was a contemporary part of life; nowadays fictional references are also frequently made in a steampunk context.Historical eventsThis… … Wikipedia
List of United States Presidential names — contains lists of nicknames, name origins, and the first, middle, and last names of each President of the United States. Most of the nicknames listed are political, such as Tricky Dick , which belonged to Richard Nixon, initialisms like T.R.… … Wikipedia
1812 New Madrid earthquake — The Great Earthquake at New Madrid. A nineteenth century woodcut from Devens Our First Century (1877) … Wikipedia
List of north–south roads in Toronto — The following is a list of the north–south arterial thoroughfares in the Canadian city of Toronto. The city is organized in a grid pattern dating back to the plan laid out by Augustus Jones between 1793 and 1797. Most streets are aligned in the… … Wikipedia
The Canadian Crown and First Nations, Inuit and Métis — The relationship between the Canadian Crown and the First Nations, Inuit, and Métis peoples of Canada stretches back to the first interactions between European colonialists and North American indiginous people. Over centuries of interaction,… … Wikipedia