- Racer (simulator)
title = Racer Free Car Simulation
developer = Ruud van Gaal
publisher = Ruud van Gaal
designer = Ruud van Gaal
29 August, 2000
Single player, Multiplayer
Microsoft Windows, Linux, Mac OS X
media = Internet (free download)
requirements = PC with a 500 MHz processor or comparable Mac, 3D graphics card with OpenGL support
input = Wheel, mouse, gamepad, joystick or keyboard
"Racer" (in full: "Racer Free Car Simulation") is a free
racing simulatorthat runs on Microsoft Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X.
Although "Racer" started out as a driving simulator, it also has features that are usually seen in racing games, such as racing against AI cars, or against human opponents in
multiplayermode. Among its strong points are a very realistic physics engine (also used in a [http://www.hexatechracing.com commercial racing simulator] ), and good graphics. The great graphics come from an advanced shader system, allowing live reflections and other effects. Its weak points, when compared with commercial racing games, is the absence of wear/damage physics or a career mode.
An important characteristic of Racer is its openness. The software itself is maintained exclusively by the creator (
Ruud van Gaal), but the formats for cars, tracks and other data are documented. Furthermore, tools to aid in car and track creation are part of the release. As a result, a large number of cars has been created and published, in a large variety: Formula 1, GT, vintage, trucks, daily drivers, luxury sedans ... even a shopping trolley has been modelled. Likewise, tracks are available in various types, from true racing circuits to drag strips, mountain roads, and even a car park.
"Racer" was first released in August 2000, and has been continuously updated up to the present day. Over the years, a community has grown around "Racer". The main forum for Racer is at [http://forum.rscnet.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111 Race Sim Central Forums]
The "Racer" software is free, in the sense of
freeware(for non-commercial users). While the source code of an older version is available, it is not under an open sourcelicense. The cars and tracks have various forms of license, but can all be downloaded for free.
Whilst one of the strengths of Racer is its open file format, perhaps one of its weaknesses is its closed-source stance and development team. The "Racer" community contributes to testing and suggesting features that should be added, but the development side of "Racer" is very much based on the amount of time the developers have to contribute towards it. This translates to infrequent updates of varying quality, but updates are often very feature-rich and inspire a new burst of energy into the development and modification of cars and tracks.
Racing Simulators that use the Racer Engine
NetKar Pro" - professional online racing simulator
rFactor" - Racing Sim
Live for Speed" - online racing simulator
X Motor Racing- an open-ended racing simulator
* [http://www.racer.nl/ Official Site]
* [http://racerm.forumz.ro/ Official Roumaian Forum]
* [http://forum.rscnet.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111 Race Sim Central forum] Official forum, has tracks, cars and the latest beta version
* [http://www.racer-xtreme.com/ Racer-Xtreme] A community created track and car database
* [http://www.motorsport-klassiker.de.vu/ Motorsport-Klassiker] A site dedicated to historic cars for "Racer", mostly pre-war
* [http://dmoz.org/Games/Video_Games/Driving_and_Racing/Simulations/Racer/ Category at ODP]
* [http://fsr.no/d1rdgp/ D1 Racer Grand Prix]
* [http://gtapex.com/ GTapex.com] endo's homepage hosting his own cars, and a selection of addon parts
* [http://iroker.com/ Iroker.com] Iroker's homepage, hosting his own cars, and a comprehensive car/track database from other authors
* [http://www.3dautos.co.uk 3d Autos] racer downloads
* [http://pitstop.totalnfs.net/racerwiki RacerWiki] A Wiki for "Racer"
* [http://www.tracciontrasera.es/ Traccion Trasera] It's the biggest site on the net that hosts more than 400 downloads for Racer, images, videos... frequently updated. No register needed. Get the files in one click.
* [http://www.xtremeracers.net/ XtremeRacers] The largest site with content for Racer. The latest version of Racer, cars, tracks, tuned cars, skins, mods... multilanguage site.
* [http://france-racer.actifforum.com/ france-racer] The french forum about Racer.
* [http://ro-racer.net/ romanian-racer] The romanian resources site
* [http://phanteon.net/ New Cars] News about cars in racer.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Racer (simulator) — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Racer (nombre completo: Racer Free Car Simulation) es un simulador de coches gratuito que corre en Microsoft Windows, Linux, y Mac OS X. Aunque Racer partió como un simulador de conducción, también tiene… … Wikipedia Español
Racer — may refer to:Snakes: * Coluber , a genus of harmless colubrid snakes. * Drymobius , a.k.a. neotropical racers, a genus of harmless colubrid snakes. * Masticophis , a.k.a. whip snakes or coachwhips, a genus of harmless genus of colubrid snakes. *… … Wikipedia
Racer free car simulator — Racer Разработчик Ruud van Gaal Издатель Ruud van Gaal Создатели Геймдизайнер Ruud van Gaal, Dolphinity Дата выпуска в разрабо … Википедия
Moto Racer World Tour — Developer(s) Delphine Software International Publisher(s) Infogrames … Wikipedia
History of Microsoft Flight Simulator — Microsoft Flight Simulator began as a set of articles on computer graphics, written by Bruce Artwick throughout 1976, about flight simulation using 3 D graphics. When the editor of the magazine told Artwick that subscribers were interested in… … Wikipedia
Microsoft Flight Simulator X — Developer(s) Microsoft Game Studios Publisher(s) Microsoft Game Studios … Wikipedia
List of space flight simulator games — Part of a series on … Wikipedia
Champion Jockey: G1 Jockey & Gallop Racer — Developer(s) Koei Publisher(s) Tecmo Koei … Wikipedia
Redline F-1 Racer — Infobox VG title = Redline F 1 Racer developer = Genki publisher = Logic (Japanese publisher) Altron (European publisher) Absolute Entertainment (North American publisher) distributor = designer = engine = version = released = vgrelease|JP=July… … Wikipedia
Liste chronologique des jeux vidéo de course — Liste chronologique de jeux vidéo de course. Sommaire 1 1973 2 1974 3 1975 4 1976 5 1977 … Wikipédia en Français