- IBM Lotus SmartSuite
name = IBM Lotus SmartSuite
caption = Lotus SmartCenter icon and screenshot of the Lotus SmartCenter toolbar
latest_release_version = 9.8.5
Microsoft Windows, OS/2
license = Proprietary
website = http://www.ibm.com/software/lotus/products/smartsuite/
SmartSuite is an
office suitefrom IBM's Lotus Softwaregroup. IBM purchased Lotus in 1995 and Lotus made versions for IBM's OS/2, as well as Windows versions.
SmartSuite is in
maintenance mode, and supported with fixes and fixpacks on Windows 2000 and Windows XP. SmartSuite is not officially supported by IBM on the Windows Vistaoperating system, but it does work on the 32-bit version of Vista if the installer and applications are run in XP compatibility mode (this isn't needed to install or run Organizer 6). IBM has no plans to release specific Vista-compatible versions of SmartSuite or Organizer. [ [http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=899&uid=swg21253536 Information about SmartSuite and Organizer working on the new Microsoft Windows Vista operating system] ]
In 2007, IBM introduced a new office suite called
The following applications are included in SmartSuite for Microsoft Windows:
Lotus Word Pro— word processor(previously called Ami Pro) - ".lwp" files
Lotus 1-2-3— spreadsheet- ".123, .wk1, .wk3, .wk4" files
Lotus Freelance Graphics— presentation software- ".prz" files
Lotus Approach— relational database- ".apr" (data entry & reports), ".dbf" (database) files
Lotus Organizer— personal information manager- ".org .or2 .or3" files
* Lotus SmartCenter — a toolbar that let users quickly access programs, their calendar,
Internet bookmarks, and other resources
Lotus FastSite— web design software - ".htm" files
* Lotus ScreenCam — recording of screen activity for demos and tutorials - ".scm, .exe, .wav" files
1994— 2.1 (Ami Pro 3.0, 1-2-3 4.0, Freelance Graphics 2.0, Approach 2.0 and Organizer 1.1)
* SmartSuite 3.1 (Windows 3.11) — (Lotus 1-2-3 vers. 5, Approach 3.0, Ami Pro 3.1, Freelance Graphics 2.1, Organizer 2.1, ScreenCam 1.1).
* (1996) — SmartSuite 97 — Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0 (1-2-3 97, Word Pro 97, Approach 97, Freelance Graphics 97, Organizer 97, ScreenCam 4.0 and SmartCenter)
1999) — SmartSuite Millennium Edition (9.5) — (Organizer 5.0, Fastsite release 2, WordPro Millennium Edition, 1-2-3 Millennium Edition, Freelance Graphics Millennium Edition, Approach Millennium Edition, SmartCenter and ScreenCam).
* October 2002: Latest version: SmartSuite Millennium Edition 9.8. Fixpack 3 was released in October 2005 and Fixpack 4 in October 2006. A subsequent Fixpack 5 was released in October 2007, although this Fixpack only contains changes to the Lotus Approach database software, perhaps indicating that active maintenance of this product is drawing to a close. [ [http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&uid=swg21180536 Fix list for SmartSuite for Windows 9.8 and fix packs] ]
Most or all SmartSuite programs are capable of reading and writing the corresponding
Microsoft Officefiles. The Microsoft programs, however, are capable of reading only a few vintage formats of the Lotus programs, such as the older 1-2-3 .wks and .wk1 files. Furthermore, several of the SmartSuite components provide functionality not found in the Microsoft Office suite, for example Lotus FastSite and Lotus SmartCenter.
IBM versus Microsoft
finding of factsfor United States v. Microsoft, Judge Jackson determined that because of IBM's marketing of Lotus SmartSuite, and other alternatives to Microsoft products, Microsoft "punished the IBM PC Company with higher prices, a late license for Windows 95, and the withholding of technical and marketing support." [cite news|url=http://news.com.com/Full+text+of+Judge+Jacksons+findings+of+fact+-+page+23/2009-1001_3-232571-23.html|title=Full text of Judge Jackson's findings of fact|publisher= CNet, Sec. 116]
IBM wasn't granted OEM rights for Windows 95 until 15 minutes prior to the release of Windows 95, August 24, 1995. Because of this uncertainty, IBM machines were sold without Windows 95, while
Compaq, HP and other indulgent companies sold machines with Windows 95 from day one. [cite news|url=http://news.com.com/Full+text+of+Judge+Jacksons+findings+of+fact+-+page+25/2009-1001_3-232571-25.html?tag=st.next|title=Full text of Judge Jackson's findings of fact|publisher= CNet, Sec. 125]
Comparison of office suites
* [http://www.lotus.com/products/product2.nsf/wdocs/sshome Lotus SmartSuite page]
* [http://www.lotus.com/ldd/ssforum.nsf?OpenDatabase SmartSuite technical forum]
* [http://www.xpertss.com/ The XpertSS - Support for Users of the Lotus SmartSuite]
* [ftp://ftp.lotus.com/pub/lotusweb/product/smartsuite/Kvlotus.exe Free viewer for Lotus SmartSuite products (EXE)]
* [http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&uid=swg21180536 Fix list for SmartSuite for Windows 9.8 and fix packs]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.