- Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources Logo of the DCNR Agency overview Formed July 1, 1995 Jurisdiction Government of Pennsylvania Headquarters Rachel Carson State Office Building
400 Market Street
Annual budget $310.5 million (FY 2010) Agency executive Richard J. Allan, Secretary of Conservation and Natural Resources Child agency Bureau of State Parks Website www.dcnr.state.pa.us
The Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR), established on July 1, 1995, is the agency in the U.S. State of Pennsylvania responsible for maintaining and preserving the state's 117 state parks and 20 state forests; providing information on the state's natural resources; and working with communities to benefit local recreation and natural areas. The agency has its headquarters in the Rachel Carson State Office Building in Harrisburg.
The department was formed when then-governor Tom Ridge split the Department of Environmental Resources (DER) into the DCNR and Department of Environmental Protection (DEP).
Current Secretary of Conservation and Natural Resources
- Richard J. Allan (Confirmed June 2011)
Past Secretaries of Conservation and Natural Resources
- John Quigley (Appointed April 2009)
- Michael D. DiBerardinis (Appointed January 2003)
- John C. Oliver (Appointed November 1995)
The DCNR is host to many different Environmental Education programs throughout the summer months. These range from topics such as "Leave No Trace" hiking/camping policy to the different wildlife and plant species of many of the state parks.
DCNR Rangers act much like a National Park Ranger does. They routinely check on cabins and campsites, offer insightful answers to visitors questions, and help to maintain calmness throughout the parks. They have full arrest powers while in park lands and do carry sidearms. However, they do not have jurisdiction over Pennsylvania State Game Lands, which are patrolled by Wildlife Conservation Officers employed by the Pennsylvania Game Commission. DCNR rangers do enforce game laws as well as fishing and boating laws in state parks, however, although the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission is completely independent of the Pennsylvania Game Commission. Both agencies are independent of DCNR, but do work in cooperation with each other.
- Deputy Secretary for Parks and Forestry
- Bureau of State Parks
- Bureau of Forestry
- Deputy Secretary for Conservation and Technical Services
- Bureau of Topographic and Geologic Survey
- Bureau of Recreation and Conservation
- Bureau of Facility Design and Construction
- Wild Resource Conservation Program
- Deputy Secretary for Administration
- Bureau of Human Resources
- Bureau of Administrative Services
- Bureau of Information Technology
- Office of Policy and Planning
- Office of Education, Communications and Partnerships
- Office of Conservation Science
- Pennsylvania Natural Heritage Program
- Chief Counsel
- ^ "2010–11 Governor's Executive Budget" (PDF). Harrisburg: Pennsylvania Office of the Budget. February 2, 2010. p. E12.6. http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/document/768989/2010-11_budget_document_cd_pdf. Retrieved July 14, 2010.
- ^ Trostle, Sharon, ed (2009). The Pennsylvania Manual. 119. Harrisburg: Pennsylvania Department of General Services. pp. 4–43. ISBN 0-8182-0334-X.
- ^ Pa. Dept. of Conservation and Natural Resources
- ^ "Contact DCNR." Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. Retrieved on October 18, 2010. "Department of Conservation and Natural Resources Rachel Carson State Office Building PO Box 8767 400 Market Street Harrisburg, PA 17105-8767."
- ^ DCNR Bureaus. Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Recreation. Retrieved on 2009-05-31.
- ^ DCNR Organization Chart. Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Recreation. Retrieved on 2009-05-31.
- ^ DCNR Executive Staff. Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Recreation. Retrieved on 2009-05-31.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Department of Conservation and Natural Resources — can refer to agencies of various governments: United States Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources Nevada Department of Conservation and Natural Resources Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources Australia… … Wikipedia
Department of Natural Resources — Many sub national governments have a Department of Natural Resources or similarly named organization: Australia Queensland Department of Natural Resources and Mines Canada Natural Resources Canada New Brunswick New Brunswick Department of Natural … Wikipedia
Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire — Location Manheim Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania Opened 1981 Season August – October Area … Wikipedia
Pennsylvania Lumber Museum — Infobox protected area | name = Pennsylvania Lumber Museum iucn category = caption = Map of the U.S. state of Pennsylvania showing the location of Pennsylvania Lumber Museum locator x = 129 locator y = 21 location = Potter County, Pennsylvania,… … Wikipedia
Pennsylvania Route 120 — U.S. Route 120 redirects here. For the US 120 in the preliminary 1925 plan, see U.S. Route 120 (1925). PA Route 120 Highways in Pennsylvania with PA 120 in red … Wikipedia
Pennsylvania Canal (Delaware Division) — Delaware Division of the Pennsylvania Canal U.S. National Register of Historic Places U.S. National Historic Landmark District … Wikipedia
Pennsylvania Canal (West Branch Division) — overcoming a total vertical rise of about convert|140|ft|m. cite book | last = Shank | first = William H. | title = The Amazing Pennsylvania Canals, 150th Anniversary Edition | publisher = American Canal and Transportation Center | date = 1986 |… … Wikipedia
Pennsylvania Canal — to be built across the southern part of the state, and the term was also applied to canals later added to the state system.cite web | title = Pennsylvania Canals | publisher = Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission | url =… … Wikipedia
Pennsylvania Bureau of State Parks — The Pennsylvania Bureau of State Parks is an agency of the U.S. state of Pennsylvania that manages and operates the state park system of the state. The agency is part of the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR). ee … Wikipedia
Pennsylvania State University — Infobox University name =The Pennsylvania State University motto = We are Penn State! established =1855 type =Land Grant, state related calendar = semester endowment =US $1.59 billioncite web | title = All Institutions Listed by Fiscal Year 2007… … Wikipedia