- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
title = Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Electronic ArtsUnited Kingdom
released = flagicon|USA 25 June 2007
flagicon|Australia 28 June 2007
flagicon|Europe 29 June 2007
genre = Action-adventure
ratings = ESRB: E10+
Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PSP, Nintendo DS, Wii, Game Boy Advance, Mac OS X
Blu-ray Disc, DVD
requirements =Microsoft Windows:
* Optical drive: 8x or faster DVD-ROM
* CPU speed: 1.6 GHz or faster
Windows XPor Windows Vista
* Disk space: 5 GB or more free space
* Display: A
video cardwith 32 MB of memory, or 128 MB for Windows Vista, and one of these chipsets required:
** ATI Radeon 7500 or greater, or Radeon 9500 Pro or greater for Windows Vista
NVIDIAGeForce2 GTS or greater, or GeForce 6600 or greater for Vista.
**Note that laptop models of these cards are not supported.
* Memory (RAM): 256 MB, or 512 MB for Windows Vista
* Input = Video/sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible keyboard, mouse or gamepad.Mac: ["The Apple Store (U.S.) - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by Electronic Arts" - http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=6C04E099&nplm=TN641LL/A - Retrieved on 8/25/2007]
Mac OS X10.4.9 or higher
* CPU: 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo or faster
** Note: Game will not run on a
PowerPC(G3 / G4 / G5) based Mac / PowerMac.
* RAM: 512 MB or more required – 1 GB or more recommended
* Disc Drive: 8x or faster DVD-ROM drive
* Hard Drive: 4.5 GB or more required – 6 GB or more recommended
* Video: Nvidia (7300 or better) or ATI (X1600 or better)
** Note: GMA950 integrated graphics adapter is not supported.
input = Keyboard and mouse,
"Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" is a computer and
video gamethat is based on the fifth instalment of the popular " Harry Potter" series by J. K. Rowlingand the film adaptation, for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PSP, Nintendo DS, Wii, ["EA : Harry Potter : Order of the Phoenix" - http://www.ea.com/harrypotterandtheorderofthephoenix/features.jsp?platform=ps2 - Retrieved on 7/4/2007] Game Boy Advanceand Mac OS X. ["EA : Harry Potter : Order of the Phoenix" - http://www.ea.com/article.jsp?id=mac - Retrieved on 7/4/07] It was released on 25 June in the U.S., 28 June in Australiaand 29 June in the UK and Europefor PlayStation 3, PSP, PlayStation 2, Windows and the 3rd of July for most other platforms. [ Release Datecite news|url=http://www.gamespot.com/wii/adventure/harrypotterphoenix/index.html?q=order%20of%20the&tag=result;title;5]
The theme of the game is to explore
Hogwartsand follow the story from the book and movie. EA encouraged fan participation in the development of this game, and worked with a fan council. However, unlike prior games like the action-oriented Goblet of Fire, this time the adventure is in the style of a sandbox game. Similar to the "Grand Theft Auto" series and "Bully", in that Hogwarts is fully explorable most of the time, and there are "discovery points" that provide rewards to the player, which can be activated by completing side missions. Furthermore, there are battles between groups of students, as shown in the game trailer.
Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Grangerreturn to Hogwartsand discover that much of the Wizard community is in denial about Harry's encounter with Lord Voldemort. To make matter worse, the new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher refuses to teach them any defensive magic and is slowly taking over Hogwarts. Therefore, Harry, Ron, and Hermione create Dumbledore's Armyto teach the defence they will need, with Voldemort on the move.
The game presents the player with a large part of the Harry Potter universe, combining the movie blueprints, J. K. Rowling's drawings and books' descriptions to recreate known places, including the
Ministry of Magic, Grimmauld Place and Little Whinging.
The game's sandbox style provides the player with a more open environment, as the player is able to move around most parts of Hogwarts freely.
As well as the main missions, and as part of the new sandbox style of playing, players can explore Hogwarts and interact with objects, using magical
spellsto earn Discovery points.
You can duel Slytherins in the Entrance Courtyard, Paved Courtyard, and specific floor corridors. You can also duel throughout the story. Most of them you play as Harry. Nevertheless, near the end, you will play as Sirius Black and Dumbledore in different duels.
Earning Discovery points increases the power of the owned spells, and earns player bonuses, such as behind-the-scenes videos and trophies, which can be viewed in the Room of Rewards. Items in the room such as trophies can also be unlocked by taking part in the various mini games, such as Exploding Snap, Wizard chess and
Their respective actors and actresses voice twenty-two of the characters.
There are various missions to complete which follow the storyline of the film, such as the recruiting
Dumbledore's Armymembers, or creating havoc when Umbridge is made Headmistress. Occlumencyis also introduced as a feature of the game.
Twelve various Portraits located around the castle can also be used as secret shortcuts to other parts of the castle. However, the completion of a task specific to each Portrait is most likely required. After a task is completed, you will be free to use the secret passage as many times as you want.
In the PSP version, we see one of the extra features is being able to play as a Dark Wizard. On the back of the box it says you can be 'Crabbe Goyle, Draco, Malfoy, Bellatrix, and Voldemort. However, nobody has yet to find out how to unlock Voldemort.
EA said they could not include everything, in particular:
* The taking of OWL examinations directly; although player will earn OWL grades by lessons - top marks will unlock new rewards.
* Quidditch and Flying, apart from the section of the game with Fred and George.
* Changing characters to Ron and Hermione, but Fred and George Weasley, Albus Dumbledore, and Sirius Black are playable as the game progresses.
*A few areas are inaccessible, especially with there not being an option to debug; The Whomping Willow is on the Marauder's Map but cannot be located, Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw Common Rooms are nonexistent, Slytherin Common Room stops abruptly at the bottom of a staircase, Divination class, Gryffindor Girls' Dormitory, the Quidditch Pitch, and Stadium are inaccessible and Hagrid's Hut cannot be entered; Dumbledore's office is shown in several cut-scenes, but not present; there are also several locked doors on the Grand Staircase leading to unknown parts of the castle.
* You cannot get in the Chamber of Secrets, but you can get to the entrance.
* Snape's "most regrettable" memory was not featured in this; Snape instead gets angry with Harry for defeating him in Occlumency.
pells used in the game
While in most platforms the spells are performed by only using the directional and game pad buttons, the PlayStation 3 and Wii also make use of the special features of the
SIXAXISand the Wii Remote, respectively. The DS and GBA have players either using the Stylusor buttons, depending on the system. The PSP version also includes exclusive spells.
* "Reparo", a repairing spell.
* "Wingardium Leviosa", used to lift objects.
* "Depulso", used to push away objects.
* "Accio", used to summon objects.
* "Reducto", used to destroy objects. (Not available in the Nintendo DS version.)
* "Incendio", used to burn objects. [Elliot, Harvey (5 June 2007). [http://www.gamespot.com/wii/adventure/harrypotterphoenix/news.html?sid=6172009&om_act=convert&om_clk=mostpop&tag=mostpop;title;1] .
Gamespot. Retrieved on (21 June 2007).]
* "Expelliarmus", used to disarm an opponent. (It deals great damage but if your opponent is kneeling, use this spell to finish off your opponent.) (Not available in the Nintendo DS version.)
* "Stupefy", a slow, powerful stunning spell.
* "Protego", used to deflect spells coming.
* "Rictusempra", another stunning spell that is faster than "Stupefy" but weaker (in the books, "Rictusempra" is a tickling spell).
* "Petrificus Totalus", paralyses the opponent. This spell proves to be a strong spell because if opponent is alone and is hit by this spell, the duel is automatically over. The same thing could happen to you. (Though it only deals great damage against Voldemort) (Not available in the Nintendo DS version.)
* "Levicorpus", used to hang the opponent upside-down. In the game, the spell can be used verbally. However, in the books, this spell did not appear until
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Princeand is only nonverbal. (This is yet another spell that only damages Voldemort) (Not available in the Nintendo DS version.)"Expecto Patronum" is used in the beginning against the Dementors, and again in a Dumbledore's Army (D.A.) meeting, but it is never used again.
There are stronger versions of the spells Stupefy and Protego. They are named Stupefy Duo and Protego Duo. Stupefy Duo is a stronger version of Stupefy. The original Protego absorbed the spell being shot at you. Protego Duo sends the spell back to the opponent.
The casting of spells is taught by various other characters to Harry, who practices them first, then is able to use them. In the PC version of the game, different movements of the mouse while pressing either the left or right mouse button allows Harry to cast spells. In the Nintendo DS version, the stylus is used to cast the spell. In the Wii version the Wii remote is used as a wand.
During the game, you will earn "Discovery Points" and "Discovery Levels" by discovering various secrets in the game - when you collect a certain number of Discovery Points, your spells will become more powerful (ranging from level 1 to 13). As you rise in Discovery Levels, the following traits are going to affect your spells:
* Strength - "Reparo" repairs objects faster, "Accio/Depulso" summons/pushes objects at a greater range, combat spells do more damage etc.
* Range - Combat spells will fade out and fall to the ground at lower levels, increasing the level increases their range - eventually leading to infinite range.
* Behaviour - "Stupefy, Rictusempra" and "Petrificus Totalus" gain more spells cast in one casting; some start moving from a straight line to a random track to improve chances of hitting the opponent.
Dumbledore and Voldemort (playable in a mission) have a special level, which is not achievable by Harry. "Stupefy" and "Rictusempra" cast two more individual spells than Harry, "Petrificus Totalus" moves in a pattern like "Rictusempra, Levicorpus" waddles around, while "Expelliarmus" achieves a very large amount of damage.
In the Nintendo DS version, the spell strength only has three options: Uno, Duo, Tria.
The game's soundtrack was composed by
James Hanniganand conducted by Allan Wilson. Hannigan wrote themes for the various characters and incorporated " Hedwig's Theme" by John Williamsinto the score. IGNhas given the game's music a rating of 9.5 out of 10. A significant amount of tracks present in the Order of the Phoenix videogame were also featured in The Chamber of Secrets video game. The soundtrack is available via iTunes, Amazon.com and other digital outlets.
This is the first Harry Potter game to feature cast members from the film providing the voices of their characters, 22 to be exact. The cast list is below.
Adam Sopp" as " Harry Potter" (voice) Physical appearance by " Daniel Radcliffe"
*"Harper Marshall" as "
Hermione Granger" (voice) Physical appearance by " Emma Watson" Harper Marshall is in the credits, but Emma Watson is the physical appearance
Rupert Grint" as " Ron Weasley"
Matthew Lewis" as " Neville Longbottom"
Bonnie Wright" as " Ginny Weasley"
Evanna Lynch" as " Luna Lovegood"
Katie Leung" as " Cho Chang"
Ralph Fiennes" as " Lord Voldemort"
Natalia Tena" as " Nymphadora Tonks"
James Phelps" as " Fred Weasley"
Oliver Phelps" as " George Weasley"
Tom Felton" as " Draco Malfoy"
Alfred Enoch" as " Dean Thomas"
Afshan Azad" as " Padma Patil"
Shefali Chowdhury" as " Parvati Patil"
Warwick Davis" as " Filius Flitwick"
Louis Doyle" as " Ernie Macmillan" (Not in the fifth film)
Josh Herdman" as " Gregory Goyle"
Harry Melling" as " Dudley Dursley"
Tiana Benjamin" as " Angelina Johnson" (Not in the fifth film)
*"Hugh Mitchell" as "
Colin Creevey" (Not in the fifth film)
Nick Shirm" as " Zacharias Smith"
Charlotte Skeoch" as " Hannah Abbott" (Not in the fifth film)
Jamie Waylett" as " Vincent Crabbe"
Luke Youngblood" as " Lee Jordan" (Not in the fifth film)
Timothy Bateson" as " Kreacher"
Daniel Radcliffeand Emma Watson, who play Harry Potterand Hermione Grangerrespectively, were only able to provide the physical forms for Harry and Hermione, as each were busy performing in other projects at the time.
The game itself has been received with mixed opinions - although this is common with tie-ins. Most critics seem to prefer the
Wiiversion due to the wand-like Wii Remotecontrols.
* ONM (
* GameTrailers.com (PS3): 8.0
X-Play(PS3, Wii, Xbox 360): 4 out of 5
* IGN (
Xbox 360): [http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/objects/850/850860.html 7.6]
* IGN (PS3): 7.6
* IGN (PC): 7.3
* IGN (PS2): 7.0
* IGN (DS): 6.0
Gamestyle(Wii) [http://www.gamestyle.net/reviews/harrypotterandtheorderofthephoenix 6.0]
GameSpot(All versions): 5.0
* Gamestyle (Xbox 360) [http://www.gamestyle.net/reviews/1312 4.0]
* [http://www.thewiire.com/review/85/1/Harry_Potter_and_the_Order_of_the_Phoenix The Wiire] (
Wii): C+. The Wiire also awarded the game with the Family Friendly and Ease of Use awards.
Game Revolution: C-
Nintendo Power: 8/10
Game Informer: 6.5/10
* NGamer (DS): 55%
* [http://www.ea.com/harrypotterandtheorderofthephoenix/ Official Electronic Arts website]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) — Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Theatrical poster Directed by David Yates … Wikipedia
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) — Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets International poster Directed by Chris Columbus … Wikipedia
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) — ] The official teaser trailer was released on 29 July on AOL s Moviefone website. [cite news|url=http://mugglenet.com/app/news/show/1781/?ndmViewId=news view newsId=20080724006099 newsLang=en|title= Teaser Trailer Debut: HARRY POTTER AND THE Half … Wikipedia
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix — HP5 redirects here. For the postal district for Chesham, see HP postcode area. For the black and white film from Ilford, see Ilford HP. OotP redirects here. For the baseball simulator, see Out of the Park Baseball. This article is about the book … Wikipedia
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) — Infobox VG title = Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince developer = EA Bright Light Studio publisher = Electronic Arts designer = engine = released = Summer 2009 [cite web|url=http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54614|title=Harry Potter Game… … Wikipedia
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) — Infobox Film name = Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire caption = Promotional poster of the film director = Mike Newell producer = David Heyman writer = Novel: J. K. Rowling Screenplay: Steve Kloves starring = Daniel Radcliffe Rupert Grint Emma… … Wikipedia
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (игра) — У этого термина существуют и другие значения, см. Гарри Поттер и Орден Феникса (значения). Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Гарри Поттер и Орден Феникса … Википедия
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) — Infobox Film name = Harry Potter and the Philosopher s Stone caption = European poster displaying the Philosopher s Stone title (left) and the American poster, designed by Drew Struzan, displaying the Sorcerer s Stone title (right). director =… … Wikipedia
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter — The Wizarding World of Harry Potter … Wikipedia
Order of the Phoenix — may refer to: Order of the Phoenix (Greece), a medal conferred on Greek or foreign citizens Various uses related to the Harry Potter series Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, the fifth novel in the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling… … Wikipedia