- Donald Routledge Hill
Donald Routledge Hill (1922–1994) was an
engineerand historian of science and technology.
Alongside more general works on the
history of technology, he has written works on the history of medieval Arabic science and technology, and translated "The Book of Knowledge of Ingenious Mechanical Devices" ("Kitáb fí ma'rifat al-hiyal al-handasiyya") of the Arabengineer Al-Jazari.
* Hill, Donald R (1993). "Science and Technology in Ninth Century Baghdad", in "Science in Western and Eastern Civilization in Carolongian Times", ed. P. L. Bouzer and D. Lohrmann; Birkhäuser; Boston. ISBN 0-8176-2863-0
* Hill, Donald Routledge (1984). "A History of Engineering in Classical and Medieval Times", London: Croom Helm & La Salle, Illinois: Open Court, 1984. ISBN 0-87548-422-0.
* Hill, Donald Routledge (1993). "Islamic Science and Engineering", Edinburgh:
Edinburgh University Press.
* Hill, Donald Routledge (1976). "On The Construction of Water-Clocks — Kitab Arshimidas Fi'amal Al-Binkamat", London: Turner & Devereux Occasional Paper No. 4.
* Ibn Ismail Ibn al-Razzaz Al-Jazari & Hill, Donald Routledge (ed. & transl.) (1988) , "The Book of Knowledge of Ingenious Mechanical Devices: Kitáb fí ma'rifat al-hiyal al-handasiyya", Islamabad: Pakistan Hijara Council. ISBN 969-8016-25-2.
* Banu Musa & Hill, Donald Routledge (ed. & transl.) (1989) , "The Book of Ingenious Devices ", Islamabad: Pakistan Hijara Council.
* King, D. A. (1995), "Donald Routledge Hill (1922–1994)", Arabic Science & Philosophy, 5: pp 297–302.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Donald Hill — Donald Routledge Hill (1922–1994) was an English engineer and historian of science and technology. Alongside more general works on the history of technology, he wrote works on the history of medieval Arabic science and technology, and translated… … Wikipedia
Battle of Bunker Hill — For a list of numerous places and things that are named after this battle, see Bunker Hill (disambiguation). Battle of Bunker Hill Part of the American Revolutionary War … Wikipedia
William Charles Osman Hill — Born 13 July 1901(1901 07 13) … Wikipedia
Quarry Hill Creative Center — Quarry Hill Creative Center, in Rochester, Vermont, is Vermont s oldest alternative living group or community. History On April 10, 1946, Irving Fiske (born Irving Fishman in Brooklyn, New York, on March 5, 1908), a playwright, inventor,… … Wikipedia
Inventions in medieval Islam — A significant number of inventions were developed in the medieval Islamic world, a geopolitical region that has at various times extended from Al Andalus and Africa in the west to the Indian subcontinent and Malay Archipelago in the east.… … Wikipedia
Timeline of Islamic science and engineering — This timeline of Islamic science and engineering covers the general development of science and technology in the Islamic world during the Islamic Golden Age, usually dated from the 7th to 16th centuries.From the 17th century onwards, the advances … Wikipedia
Timeline of historic inventions — The timeline of historic inventions is a chronological list of particularly important or significant technological inventions. Note: Dates for inventions are often controversial. Inventions are often invented by several inventors around the same… … Wikipedia
Al-Jazari — Abū al Iz Ibn Ismā īl ibn al Razāz al Jazarī (1136 1206) ( ar. أَبُو اَلْعِزِ بْنُ إسْماعِيلِ بْنُ الرِّزاز الجزري) was an important Arab [citation|title=Archimedes Weapons of War and Leonardo|first=D. L.|last=Simms|journal=The British Journal… … Wikipedia
History of timekeeping devices — For thousands of years, devices have been used to measure and keep track of time. The current sexagesimal system of time measurement dates to approximately 2000 BC, in Sumer. The Ancient Egyptians divided the day into two 12 hour periods, and… … Wikipedia
Geschichte der Zeitmessgeräte — Die Geschichte der Zeitmessgeräte lässt sich bis vor 6000 Jahren zurückverfolgen, als die Sumerer auf Tontafeln von Sonnenuhren berichteten. Von dieser Erfindung, die als eine der größten der Menschheit bezeichnet werden kann, existierte in einer … Deutsch Wikipedia