- Chaplet (prayer)
The term Chaplet is used commonly to designate Roman Catholic prayer forms which use prayer beads, but are not necessarily related to the Rosary. Some of these chaplets have a strong Marian connotation, others are more directly related to Jesus or the Saints. Chaplets are considered "personal devotionals," and there is no set form and therefore they vary considerably. While the usual five decade rosary may be referred to as a chaplet, often chaplets have fewer beads than a traditional rosary and a different set of prayers.
Common Chaplets include:
- Chaplet of Divine Mercy, using ordinary rosary beads of five decades.
- Chaplet of the Five Wounds of Jesus
- Chaplet (Little Crown) of the Infant Jesus, made up of three and twelve beads.
- Chaplet of the Sacred Heart, consisting of 33 small beads, 6 large beads, a centerpiece, a Crucifix and a Sacred Heart Medal.
- Little Chaplet of the Holy Face, to honor the Five Wounds of Jesus Christ, composed of a cross and six large beads and thirty-three small.
- Chaplet of the Precious Blood, consisting of thirty-three beads in seven groups.
- Chaplet of Black Madonna of Częstochowa, made up of nine beads with a crucifix and a medal of Our Lady of Czestochowa.
- Chaplet of Our Lady, Star of the Sea, consisting of a medal of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, three separate beads, and 12 additional beads.
- Chaplet of the Immaculate Conception, also called the Crown of Stars, consisting of 3 groups of 4 beads, with a medal of the Immaculate Conception. 
- Chaplet (Rosary) of the Seven Sorrows of Mary, made up of seven groups of seven beads. Also known as the Dolour beads.
- Chaplet of Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha, composed of eight brown, eight red and eight crystal beads.
- Chaplet of Saint Anthony, made up of thirteen sets of three beads.
- Chaplet of Saint Joseph, which is divided into 15 groups of four beads consisting of one white and three purple beads.
- Chaplet of Saint Patrick, made up of twelve beads symbolizing the twelve perils of St. Patrick
- Chaplet of Saint Philomena, consisting of three white beads and thirteen red beads.
- Bridgettine Rosary, consisting of six decades of ten beads each. There are three additional beads at the end.
- Little Flower Chaplet, made of one large bead and twenty-four smaller beads.
- Chaplet of the Way of the Cross, made of fifteen groups of three beads, etc.
- Chaplet in Honor of the Holy Infant of Good Health, said on the standard Dominican Rosary.
- Chaplet of Saint Michael the Archangel, comprising nine groups of four beads each, consisting of three Hail Marys and one Our Father in each. (Each of the nine groups is said in honor of one of the nine choirs of angels.)
- My Treasury of Chaplets, by Patricia S. Quintiliani, The Ravengate Press, 1986/99. ISBN 0-911218-36-X
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Chaplet — may refer to: Chaplet (prayer), a string of prayer beads and the associated prayer Chaplet (metallurgy), a metal form to hold a core in place This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title. If an … Wikipedia
Chaplet of Divine Mercy — The Painting of Divine Mercy by Adolf Hyla. The phrase at the bottom is Polish for Jesus I trust in you. The Chaplet of the Divine Mercy is a Roman Catholic devotion based on the visions of Jesus reported by Saint Mary Faustin … Wikipedia
Chaplet of Saint Michael — For the Pope Leo XIII prayer, please see Prayer to Saint Michael. The Archangel Michael smites the Fallen Angels, by Luca Giordano, for the Franciscan Church, Vienna, ca 1660 65 (Kunsthistorisches Museum) The Chaplet of St. Michael the Archangel… … Wikipedia
Chaplet of the Five Wounds of Jesus — Icon of the Crucifixion, showing all of the Five Holy Wounds (13th century, Saint Catherine s Monastery, Mount Sinai). The Chaplet of the Five Wounds of Jesus is a de … Wikipedia
prayer — Synonyms and related words: Angelus, Ave, Ave Maria, Hail Mary, Kyrie Eleison, Mass, Paternoster, adjuration, adoration, aid prayer, appeal, application, asker, beadroll, beads, bedtime prayer, beggar, begging, beseeching, beseechment, bid,… … Moby Thesaurus
chaplet — chapÂ·let || tÊƒÃ¦plÉªt n. string of prayer beads; prayers said using prayer beads … English contemporary dictionary
chaplet — circlet or wreath for the head; short string of prayer beads Ecclesiastical Terms … Phrontistery dictionary
Divine Mercy — The Divine Mercy image at the Divine Mercy Basilica, Krakow, the resting place of St. Faustina The Divine Mercy is a Roman Catholic devotion to the merciful love of God and the desire to let that love and mercy flow t … Wikipedia
Roman Catholic devotions to Jesus Christ — Part of a series of articles on Roman Catholic Devotions to Christ Devotions Holy Face Sacred Heart Divine Mercy Eucharistic adoration Holy Name Holy Hour … Wikipedia
rosary — /roh zeuh ree/, n., pl. rosaries. 1. Rom. Cath. Ch. a. a series of prayers, usually consisting of 15 decades of aves, each decade being preceded by a paternoster and followed by a Gloria Patri, one of the mysteries or events in the life of Christ … Universalium