- Wilkie, Saskatchewan
Wilkie is a town in
Saskatchewan, Canadalocated at Section 5, Township 40, Range 19, West of the 3rd Meridian. On February 2, 1907the first post office was established with the name "Glenlogan" at Section 4, Township 40, Range 19, West of the 3rd Meridian. The post office changed names on October 1, 1908to Wilkie. Wilkie was once home to "The World's Largest Grasshopper" (a roadside attraction), which used to be located in front of the town rink and hall.
Wilkie was a station on the
Canadian Pacific Railway, line from Portage la Prairie, via Saskatoon to Edmonton, 160 kilometers west of Saskatoon. Wilkie was also the starting point of Canadian Pacific's Reford Branch, to Kerrobert, convert|44.6|mi|km|1 to the southwest, and of the Kelfield Branch, of the CPR, to Kelfield, convert|35.4|mi|km|1 northwest.
Wilkie is home to Norman Carter Elementary School (k–6) and McLurg High School (7–12). A Catholic School (k-9) is named after the patron saint of Canada, St. George; after grade 9 the students attend the McLurg High School.
*Lat (DMS) 52°25′00″ N
*Long (DMS) - 108°42′00″ W
*Time zone (est) UTC-6
North: Coleville | Beaufield West: Bush | Phippen Wilkie Glenlogan East: St. Alphege | Red Pheasant South: Reford | Brass
* [http://www.rootsweb.com/~canmaps/RandMcNally1924/RandMcNallyMap.html Saskatchewan, Canada, Rand McNally 1924 Indexed Pocket Map Tourists' and Shippers' Guide]
* [http://www.rootsweb.com/~canmaps/1925Waghorn/ Canadian Maps: January 1925 Waghorn's Guide. Post Offices in Man. Sask. Alta. and West Ontario.]
* [http://geonames.nrcan.gc.ca/search/search_e.php Geographical Names of Canada Querying Geographical Names of Canada - Query by name]
* [http://www.roadsideattractions.ca/grasshopper.htm World's Largest Grasshopper]
* [http://www.townofwilkie.com/frames.html Town of Wilkie]
* [http://www.ourroots.ca/e/toc.aspx?id=2477 Wilkie, Saskatchewan, 1908-1988. Volume 1]
* [http://www.ourroots.ca/e/toc.aspx?id=2476 Wilkie, Saskatchewan, 1908-1988. Volume 2]
* [http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/post-offices/001001-100.01-e.php Post Offices and Postmasters - ArchiviaNet - Library and Archives Canada]
* [http://www.rootsweb.com/~cansk/school/Regional/w.html Saskatchewan Gen Web - One Room School Project - City, Town, Village Schoolhouse Listing]
* [http://www.rootsweb.com/%7Eskstjose/stjosephs/mainsection/cemeteries/wilkie.html St. Joseph's Colony - Wilkie Cemetery - Wilkie]
* [http://www.lskysd.ca/schools/ Living Sky School Division No. 202 - School List and Map]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Wilkie (disambiguation) — Wilkie might refer to: Wilkie the surname People Alex Wilkie (born 1948), British mathematician Andrew Wilkie (born 1961), Australian soldier, intelligence officer, and politician Sir David Wilkie (1785 – 1841), Scottish painter David Wilkie… … Wikipedia
Wilkie Airport — is an abandoned aerodrome that was located adjacent to Wilkie, Saskatchewan, Canada.References*CFS … Wikipedia
Saskatchewan Highway 29 — Highway 29 is a provincial highway in Saskatchewan, Canada. It runs from Highway 14 at Wilkie to Highway 40 in Battleford.Highway 29 is a minor north south highway of about 49 km (30 miles). Other than Highways 14 or 40, Highway 787 and Highway… … Wikipedia
Saskatchewan Highway 14 — Highway 14 is a highway in the Canadian province of Saskatchewan. It runs from the intersection of Idylwyld Drive and 22nd Street in downtown Saskatoon, westward to the Alberta border where it becomes Highway 13. It is approximately 261 km (162… … Wikipedia
Gordon Wilkie — Wilkie from 1965 Michiganensian Born … Wikipedia
List of communities in Saskatchewan — Communities of the Province of Saskatchewan, Canada are incorporated towns, cities, villages, and resort villages and unincorporated organized hamlets. Regional rural forms of administration are rural municipalities.[clarification needed]… … Wikipedia
Unity, Saskatchewan — Infobox Settlement settlement type = Town official name = Unity nickname = motto = imagesize = 250px image caption = Unity Express Shed image mapsize = 250px map caption = mapsize1 = map caption1 = pushpin pushpin label position = none pushpin… … Wikipedia
Cut Knife, Saskatchewan — … Wikipedia
Comunidades en Saskatchewan — Las Comunidades de la provincia de Saskatchewan, Canadá son todas las villas, ciudades, pueblos, incorporados, villas turísticas y aldeas organizadas no incorporadas. Las formas rurales regionales de administración son municipalidades… … Wikipedia Español
Colonsay, Saskatchewan — For other places with the same name, see Colonsay (disambiguation). Colonsay, Saskatchewan Railway Avenue Motto: Isle of the Prairies … Wikipedia