- List of important publications in sociology
"The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism"
* "Die protestantische Ethik und der 'Geist' des Kapitalismus", 1904
* [http://www.ne.jp/asahi/moriyuki/abukuma/weber/world/ethic/pro_eth_frame.html Online version] Description: In The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism, Weber puts forward a thesis that
Puritan ethicand ideas had influenced the development of capitalism. However religious devotion usually was accompanied by rejection of mundane affairs including economic pursuit. Why was that not the case with Protestantism? Weber addresses that paradoxin that work.
Importance: Topic creator, Breakthrough, Influence
"The Division of Labor"
"The Elementary Forms of Religious Life"
* "Das Kapital"
The Forms of Capital
1986Description: distinguishes between economic capital, social capitaland cultural capital
Interaction Ritual Chains
* Collins, R.
* Princeton University Press,
*Boltanski, Luc, and Ève Chiapello. 2005. "The New Spirit of Capitalism", London–New York, Verso.
*Boltanski, Luc and Laurent Thévenot. 2006. "On Justification. The Economies of Worth", Princeton, Princeton University Press.
*Granovetter, Mark. 1985. "Economic Action and Social Structure: The Problem of Embeddedness", "The American Journal of Sociology", 91:481–510.
*Hirschman, Albert O. 1982. "Rival Interpretations of Market Society: Civilizing, Destructive, or Feeble?" "Journal of Economic Literature". vol. 20(4):1463–84.
*Polanyi, Karl. 1944. "The Great Transformation". Boston: Beacon.
*Smelser, Neil and Richard Swedberg (eds.). 2005 (2nd ed.). "The Handbook of Economic Sociology".
*Weber, Max.  1978. "Economy and Society". Berkeley: University of California Press.
*White, Harrison C. 2002. "Markets from Networks: Socioeconomic Models of Production". Princeton: Princeton University Press
John A. Hannigan: "Environmental Sociology: A Social Constructionist Perspective".
London and New York: Routledge, 1995ISBN 0-415-11254 (hbk), 0-415-11255 (pbk)
Importance:Why is that all environmental problems attract same public attention? In his revealing approach to the environment, Hannigan demonstrates that society's willingness to recognize and solve environmental problems depends more upon the way these claims are presented by a limited number of interest groups than upon the severity of the treat they pose. A must read book for environmental sociologists and other interested researchers. Description:Environment and Society : The Enduring Conflict by Allan Schnaiberg and Kenneth Alan GouldNew York : St. Martin's Press, c1994ISBN 1-930665-00-8
Importance:Schnaiberg and Gould demonstrate how our global economy requires increasing levels of economic expansion, which in turn requires increasing withdrawals for the natural environment
Handbook of Environmental SociologyEdited by Riley E. Dunlap and William MichelsonWestport, CT: Greenwood Press, 2002.
Provides an overview of the field of environmental sociology and its various research emphases.
Luke Martell, [http://www.sussex.ac.uk/Users/ssfa2/ecology.html "Ecology and Society: an introduction"] , Polity Press, 1994, one of the first books in the sociology of the environment and environmentalism
Aldo Leopold, " A Sand County Almanac", First published 1949,
Daniel Bell "The Coming of Post-Industrial Society"
Harry Braverman "Labor and Monopoly Capital"
Michael Burawoy "Manufacturing Consent"
Ronald Dore "British factory, Japanese factory; the origins of national diversity in industrial relations"
John Goldthorpe, David Lockwood, Frank Bechhofer And Jennifer Platt "The Affluent Worker: Industrial Attitudes and Behaviour"
William Kornblum "Blue Collar"
Paul Thompson "Nature of Work: An Introduction to Debates on the Labour Process"
James S. Coleman"Introduction to Mathematical Sociology" ( 1964).
The Social System
* Parsons, Talcott
* The Free Press,
Description: In a description of the patient's role in the doctor-patient relationship, Parsons coined the term the 'Sick Role' as opposed to the 'Social Role'.
Talcott Parsonsis considered the father of Medical Sociology (along with Rene Fox as the mother). This book is a classic. Warning: it is a broad discussion of many things, not just medical sociology, and it is very difficult to read.
Ideas about illness : an intellectual history of medical sociology
* Gerhardt, Uta E.
* Basingstoke : Macmillan Education,
Description:Re-analyzes Parsons' work, and made the 'Sick Role' famous.
Perspectives in Medical Sociology
* Brown, Phil, ed.
* Waveland Press,
2000.Description: The third edition of "Perspectives in Medical Sociology" 's central theme is that health and illness cannot be understood simply by looking at biological phenomena and medical knowledge. Rather, it is necessary to bring to bear a variety of political, economic, and cultural forces. Editor Phil Brown takes this focus on largescale social structural factors and links it with the equally important microlevel approach that explores lay illness experience and the interaction between people and their health providers. In addition to retaining some of the classic works, the third edition offers new selections with modern perspectives on managed care, worker health and safety, the nursing profession, gender/femininity and health, experiences of illness and narrative understanding, and the effects of race and socioeconomic status on health. The 36 readings represent a broad range of research methods, data sources, and perspectives reflecting the diversity of material employed by medical sociologists.
* Cockerham, William C.
* Prentice Hall,
2003Description: The standard reference in the field—in the US—this best-selling introduction to medical sociology presents the most recent and relevant ideas, concepts, themes, issues, debates, and research findings at the cutting-edge of the field. It contains first-person accounts from patients, physicians, and other health care providers; is based on a worldwide review of the literature but mainly focuses on the US; provides the most recent US health statistics, data, and American studies available.
Importance:Perhaps the most widely used textbook on Medical Sociology in the US.
Profession of Medicine: A Study of the Sociology of Applied Knowledge
* Freidson E.
* New York, Harper & Row,
Professional Dominance: The Social Structure of Medical Care
* Freidson E.
* New York, Atherton Press,
Professionalism: The Third Logic
* Freidson E.
* Chicago, IL; University of Chicago Press,
Foucault, Health and Medicine
* Peterson, Alan and Robin Bunton, eds.
1997.Description: "Foucault, Health and Medicine" shows how key researchers in the sociology of health and illness are currently engaging with Michel Foucault's ideas. The book's twelve chapters explore: Foucault's concept of discourse; the critique of the medicalization thesis; analysis of the body and the self; Foucault's concepts for feminist research on embodiment and gendered subjectivities; the application of Foucault's notion of governmentality to the analysis of health policy, health promotion and the consumption of health. Offering a state-of-the-art overview of Foucaludian scholarship in the area of health and medicine, this volume will provide a key reference for those working in the areas of medical sociology, health policy, health promotion and feminist studies.
Importance: A "state of the art" overview of Foucaldian scholarship in health and medicine. Assesses the profound impact of Foucault's work and shows how key researchers in the sociology of health and illness are currently engaging with his work.
Debating Biology: Sociological reflections on health, medicine and society
* Williams, Simon, Lynda Birke and Gillian A. Bendelow, eds.
2003.Description: Text takes a look at the relationship between biology and society in the arena of health and medicine. Discusses the interplay between biological and social factors in the patterning of health and illness. Addresses the relationships between biology, science, and technology. For students and researchers in the social sciences.
Complementary and Alternative Medicine: Challenge and Change
*Kelner, Merrijoy, Beverly Wellman, Bernice Pescosolido and Mike Saks, eds.
*Reading, UK: Harwood (now part of Taylor and Francis),
2001.Description:An edited book of original articles that is the first comprehensive sociological analysis of the practitioners, users and social organization of the growing area of complementary and alternative medicine, such as chiropractic, naturopathy, homeopathy, Alexander Technique, etc.
Importance: A pioneering book, well-edited
Why Americans Don't Vote
Frances Fox Pivenand Richard Cloward
Who Rules America
G. William Domhoff,
* (McGraw Hill, 2001)
Power, State and Society
* W. Lawrence Neuman
* (McGraw Hill, 2005)
An Introduction to Political Sociology
* Anthony M. Orum
* (Prentice Hall, 2000)
* Philo C. Wasburn
* (New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, 1982)
tates and Social Revolutions
* Theda Skocpol(Cambridge University Press, 1979)
The Power Elite
C. Wright Mills(Oxford University Press, 1956)
Chinese Social Stratification
*Li Yi. 2005. The Structure and Evolution of Chinese Social Stratification. University Press of America. ISBN 0-7618-3331-5
Political and Moral Sociology
Luc Boltanski, Laurent Thévenot, 2006, On Justification. The Economies of Worth, Princeton, Princeton University Press.
ociology of the Family
ociology of Gender
* Acker, Joan. 1990. "Hierarchies, Jobs, Bodies: A Theory of Gendered Organizations." Gender and Society 4(2): 139-158.
* Acker, Joan. 2004. "Gender, Capitalism and Globalization." Critical sociology 30(1):17-41.
* Acker, Joan 2005. Class Questions: Feminist Answers. AltaMira Press.
* Bem, Sandra Lipsitz. 1994. Lenses of Gender: Transforming the Debate on Sexual Inequality. Yale University Press.
* Chafetz, Janet Saltzman (ed.). 1999. Handbook of the Sociology of Gender. NY: Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers.
* Chafetz, Janet Saltzman. 2001. "Theoretical Understandings of Gender: A Third of a Century of Feminist Thought in Sociology" in Handbook of Sociological Theory, edited Jonathan H. Turner. NY: Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers.
* Chodorow, Nancy. 1978  . The Reproduction of Mothering. Berkeley: University of California Press.
* Collins, Patricia Hill. 2000. Black Feminist Thought: Knowledge, Consciousness, and the Politics of Empowerment, 2nd Edition. Boston: Unwin Hyman.
* Collins, Patricia Hill. 1998. Fighting Words: Black Women and the Search for Justice. Minneapolis: U of Minnesota Press. Intro to Part I ("Learning from the Outsider Within Revisited"), Ch. 2, 6.
* Connell, R. W. 1987. Gender and Power: Society, the Person, and Sexual Politics. Stanford: Stanford University Press.
* Connell, R.W. 2002. Gender: Short Introductions. Blackwell.
* Engels, Friedrich. 1978. "The Origin of the Family, Private Property and the State." In The Marx-Engels Reader, 2nd Edition. New York: W.W. Norton.
* England, Paula (ed). 1998. Theory on Gender/Feminism on Theory. New York: Aldine de Gruyter.
* England, Paula. 2005. "Emerging Theories of Care Work." Annual Review of Sociology, 31:381-399.
* Fausto-Sterling, Anne. 1993. "The Five Sexes." The Sciences (March/April):20-25.
* Fausto-Sterling, Anne. 2005. "Bare Bones of Sex: Part I, Sex and Gender." SIGNS 30:1491-528.
* Ferree, Myra Marx; Lorber, Judith; and Hess, Beth B. (eds). 1999. Revisioning Gender. Thousand Oaks: Sage.
* Johnson, Allan G. 2005. The Gender Knot: Unraveling our Patriarchal Legacy. Philadelphia: Temple University Press.
* Lorber, Judith. 1994. Paradoxes of Gender. New Haven: Yale University Press.
* Mohanty, Chandra Talpede, Ann Russo, and Lourdes Torres (eds.) 1991. Third World Women and the Politics of Feminism. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press
* Nicholson, Linda J. (ed.), 1990. Feminism/Postmodernism. New York: Routledge.
* Ridgeway, Cecilia and Lynn Smith-Lovin. 1999. "The Gender System and Interaction." Annual Review of Sociology 25:191-216.
* Risman, Barbara. 1999. Gender Vertigo. Yale University Press
* Scott, J.W. 1999. “Gender: A Useful Category of Historical Analysis.” American Historical Review (December): 1053-1075.
* Smith, Dorothy E. 1987. The Everyday World as Problematic: A Feminist Sociology. Boston: Northeastern University Press.
* Smith, Dorothy E. 1990. The Conceptual Practices of Power: Toward a Feminist Sociology of Knowledge. Boston: Northeastern University Press.
* Sprague, Joey. 2005. Feminist Methodologies for Critical Researchers: Bridging Differences. Alta Mira
* Tarrant, Shira. 2006. When Sex Became Gender. New York: Routledge,
* Thorne, Barrie. 1993. Gender Play: Girls and Boys in School. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.
* Walby, Sylvia. 1986. Patriarchy at Work, Polity.
* Walby, Sylvia. 1988. Gender Segregation at Work (edited) Sage.
* Walby, Sylvia. 1990. Theorizing Patriarchy, Blackwell.
* Walby, Sylvia. 1991. Sex Crime in the News (with Soothill) Routledge.
* Walby, Sylvia. 1991. Out of the Margins (edited with Aaron) Falmer
* Walby, Sylvia. 1997. Gender Transformations, Routledge.
* West, Candace and Don Zimmerman. 1987. "Doing Gender." Gender & Society 1:125-151.
* West, Candace and Fenstermaker, Sarah. 1995. "Doing Difference." Gender & Society 9 8-37.
* West, Candace and Fenstermaker, Sarah. 1995. "Reply: (Re) doing Difference." Gender & Society 9:506-513.
Gender and Masculinity
* Bederman, G. (1995). Manliness and Civilization: A Cultural History of Gender and race in the United States, 1880-1917. Chicago, U of Chicago Press.
* Breines, I., Bob Connell & Ingrid Eide, Eds. (2000). Male roles, masculinities, and violence: a culture of peace perspective. Paris, UNESCO.
* Coltrane, S. Family Man
* Connell, R.W. (1987). Gender & Power: Society, the Person, and Sexual Politics. Stanford, CA: Stanford U Press.
* Connell, R.W. (2000). Men and the boys. Berkeley, U of California Press.
* Gardiner, J.K. (2000). “Masculinity, The Teening of America, and Empathic Targeting.” Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society 25(4): 1257-1261.
* Hoganson, K. (1998). Fighting for American Manhood. New Haven: Yale U Press.
* Kimmel, M. (1992). “Reading Men: Men, Masculinity, and Publishing.” Contemporary Sociology 21(2): 162-171.
* Kimmel, M. (2000). “Saving the Males: The Sociological Implications of the Virginia Military Institute and the Citadel.” Gender & Society 14(4): 492-516.
* Messner, M. (1990). “Boyhood, Organized Sports, and the Construction of Masculinities.” Journal of Contemporary Ethnography 18(4): 416-444.
* Nagel, J. (1998). “Masculinity and Nationalism: Gender and Sexuality in the Making of Nations.” Ethnic and racial Studies 21(2): 242-269.
* Pyke, K.D. (1996). “Class-Based Masculinities: The Interdependence of Gender, Class, and Interpersonal Power.” Gender & Society, 10(5): 527-549.
Gender and Embodiment
Gender and Organizations
Gender and Labor/Occupations
Gender and Social Movements
Gender and Academe
* Bellas, Marcia L. 1994. "Comparable Worth in Academia: The Effects of Faculty Salaries of the Sex Composition and Labor Market Conditions of Academic Disciplines." American Sociological Review 59:807-821.
* Hargens, Lowell L., James C McCann, and Barbara F. Reskin. 1978. "Productivity and Reproductivity: Fertility and Professional Achievement among Research Scientists." Social Forces 57:154-163.
* Jacobs, Jerry A. 1996. "Gender Inequality in Higher Education." Annual Review of Sociology. Volume 22, Page 153-185, August.
* Langton, Nancy and
Jeffrey Pfeffer. 1994. "Paying the Professor: Sources of Salary Variation in Academic Labor Markets." American Sociological Review 59:236-256.
* Misra, Joya, Ivy Kennelly, and Marina Karides. 1999. "Employment Chances in the Academic Job Market in Sociology: Do Race and Gender Matter? Sociological Perspectives 42, 2, spring, 215-248.
* Tolbert, Pamela. 1986. "Organizations and Inequality: Sources of Earnings Differences Between Male and Female Faculty." Sociology of Education 59:227-235.
* Collins, P.H. (1990). Black Feminist Thought
* DeVault, M. Liberating Method
* Fraser, N. & L.G. (1994) “A Genealogy of Dependency: Tracing a Keyword of the U.S. Welfare State.” Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society 19(21).
* Gluck, Shana Berger & Daphne Patai.(1991) Women’s Words: The Feminist Practice of Oral History. NY: Routledge.
* Harding, S. Feminism & Methodology.
* Harding, S. Whose Science/Whose Knowledge.
* Naples, Nancy. 2003. Feminism & Method: Ethnography, Discourse Analysis, and Activist Research
Donald T. Campbell, "Reforms as Experiments," American Psychologist, April 1969, p. 409.
Rational Choice Theory
*Coleman, James S. (
1990) "Foundations of Social Theory"
*Olson, Mancur (1971) "The Logic of Collective Action". Harvard University Press. ISBN 0-674-53751-3
* Wilkinson, K.P. 1991. The Community in Rural America [http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=57191874] (Description: A revision of rural and community sociology, from classics to new concepts)
*"Sociologia Ruralis" [http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0038-0199&site=1]
*"Rural Sociology" [http://ruralsociology.org/pubs/RuralSociology/]
ociology of knowledge
Ideology and Utopia
The Social Construction of Reality: A Treatise in the Sociology of Knowledge
Peter L. Bergerand Thomas Luckmann
* New York,
ociology of religion
The Elementary Forms of the Religious Life
The Sacred Canopy: Elements of a Sociological Theory of Religion
Peter L. Berger
A Rumor of Angels: Modern Society and the Rediscovery of the Supernatural
Peter L. Berger
Eastern Origins of the Portuguese Popular Religion Followed of Essay On Old Toponimy
Moisés Espírito Santo
Ackoff, R. (1981). Creating the corporate future. New York: Wiley.
Ackoff, R. (1978). The art of problem solving. New York: Wiley.
Allport, G. (1968). The open system in personality theory. In W. Buckley (Ed.), Modern systems research for the behavioral sciences (pp. 343-350). Chicago: Aldine.
Arnopoulos, P. (1993) Sociophysics: Chaos and Cosmos in Nature & Culture. New York. Nova Science
Augros, R., & Stanciu, G. (1987). The new biology. Discovering the wisdom in nature. Boulder: New Science Library.
Axelrod, P. (1984). The evolution of cooperation. New York: Basic Books.
Banathy, B. ( ) Systems Design of Education. Englewood Cliffs: Educational Technology Publications The grand master himself says it enough...
Banathy, B. ( ) A Systems View of Education. Englewood Cliffs: Educational Technology Publications.
Banathy, B (1996) Designing Social Systems in a Changing World New York Plenum
Barrow, J. (1991) Theories of Everything: The Quest for Ultimate Explanation. New York, Oxford University Press Excellent introduction to the quest for a unifying principle.
Bateson, G. (1972). Steps to an ecology of mind. New York: Ballantine.
Bateson, G. (1979). Mind and nature: A necessary unity. New York: Ballantine
Bateson, G., & Bateson, M.C. (1987). Angels fear. New York: Macmillan
Beer, S. Beyond Dispute, Wiley, 1994).
Berman, M (1982). The reenchantment of the world. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.
von Bertalanffy, L. (1968). General System Theory. Foundations, development, applications. New York: George Braziller. A seminal book that establishes systems theory as a science
Briggs, J.P., & Peat, F.D. (1989). Turbulent mirror. New York: Harper & Row.
Briggs, J.P., & Peat, F.D. (1984). Looking glass universe. The emerging science of wholeness. New York: Touchstone.
Bushev, M. (1994) Synergetics: Chaos, Order, Self-Organization. London: World Scientific
Caley, M.T. & Sawada, D. (Eds.) (1994). Mindscapes. The epistemology of Magoroh Maruyama. New York: Gordon & Breach.
Capra, F. (1996)The Web of Life An introduction to the new physics in terms of everyday reality
Capra, F. (1980). The turning point. New York: Bantam.
Casti J. (1994) Complexification New York, Harper-Collins
Checkland, P. (1981). Systems thinking, Systems practice. New York: Wiley.
Churchman, C.W. (1971). The design of inquiring systems. New York: Basic Books.
Churchman, C.W. (1968). The systems approach. New York: Laurel.
Ceruti, M. (1986). Il vincolo e la possibilita. [Constraint and possibility] Milano: Feltrinelli. [Eng. trans. 1994, Constraints and possibilities. The evolution of knowledge and knowledge of evolution. New York: Gordon & Breach.]
Cohen, J. Stewart, I. (1994) The Collapse of Chaos. New York Viking the search for emergence
Peter Corning(1983) The Synergism Hupothesis: A Theory of Progressive Evolution. New York: McGRaw Hill The book on Synergy
Davies, P. (1988). The Cosmic Blueprint. New discoveries in nature's creative ability to order the universe. New York: Touchstone.
Eisler, R. (1987). The chalice and the blade. San Francisco: Harper & Row.
Emery, F. E. (Ed.). (1969). Systems thinking: Selected readings. London: Penguin Books.
Emery, M. (1982). Searching: In new ways, for new directions, in new times. Canberra: Australian National University Press.
Engelberg, J. (1994) The Nature of Integrative Study. Stillwater, OK: New Forums Press.
Gleick, J. (1987). Chaos. New York: Viking.
Goerner, S. M. (1994). Chaos and the evolving ecological universe. New York: Gordon & Breach.
Guidano, V.F. (1987). Complexity of the self. A developmental approach to psychopathology and therapy. New York: Guilford.
Habermas, J. (1979). Communication and the evolution of society. Boston: Beacon press.
Hampden-Turner, C. (1990). Charting corporate culture. New York: Addison Wesley.
Hampden-Turner, C. (1990). Charting the corporate mind. New York: Free Press.
Hampden-Turner, C. (1981). Maps of the mind. New York: Collie
Hinrichsen, D. & Pritchard, A. J. (2005). Mathematical Systems Theory. New York: Springer
Jantsch, E. (1980). The self organizing universe. New York: Pergamon. Revered by the masters
Jantsch, E. (1975). Design for evolution. Self-organization and planning in the life of human systems. New York: George Braziller.
Koestler, A. (1979). Janus: A summing up. London: Picador.
Krippner, S. Ruttenber, A.J. Engelman, S.R. & Granger, D.L. (1985). Towards the application of General Systems Theory in humanistic psychology. Systems Research, 2, 105-115.
Laszlo, E. (1996) The Whispering Pond
Laszlo, E. (1995). The Interconnected Universe. New Jersey, World Scientific. A small book, a great idea
Laszlo, E. (1993). The creative cosmos. A unified science of matter, life, and mind. Edinburgh: Floris Books.
Laszlo, E. (1987). Evolution: The grand synthesis. Boston: New Science Library.
Laszlo, E. (1972a). The systems view of the world. The natural philosophy of the new developments in the sciences. New York: George Brazillier.
Laszlo, E. (1972b). Introduction to systems philosophy. Toward a new paradigm of contemporary thought. San Francisco: Harper.
Lemkow, A. (1995) The wholeness Principle: Dynamics of Unity Within Science, Religion & Society. Quest Books, Wheaton. Perhaps the most innclusive book written on new knowledge
Loye, D., & Eisler, R. (1987). Chaos and transformation: implications of nonequilibrium theory for social science and society. Behavioral Science, 32 53-65.
Luhmann, N. (1990). Sistemi sociali. Fondamenti di una teoria generale. [Social systems. Foundations of a general theory.] Il Mulino, Bologna.
Lyotard, J-F. (1979). The postmodern condition: A report on knowledge. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press.
Maruyama, M. (1974). Paradigmatology and its applications to cross-disciplinary, cross-professional and cross-cultural-communication. Dialectica, 28, 135-196.
Miller, J.G. 1995  . Living Systems. Niwot, CO: University Press of Colorado.
Montuori, A. & Conti, I. (1993). From power to partnership. San Francisco: Harper Collins.
Montuori, A. (1989). Evolutionary competence: Creating the future. Amsterdam: J. C. Gieben.
Morin, E. (1992). Method. Toward a study of humankind. Volume 1: The nature of nature. New York: Peter Lang.
Ogilvy, J. (1977). Many dimensional man. New York: Harper.
Oliga, J.C. (1988). Methodological foundations of systems methodologies. Systems Practice, 1, 87-112.
Popper, K., Eccles, J. (1981) The Self and its Brain: An Argument for Interactionism. New York, Springer
Sahtouris, E. (1989). Gaia. The human journey from Chaos to Cosmos. New York: Pocket.
Sauk, J. (1983). The Anatomy of Reality. a stab at the principle of unification
Senge, P. (1990). The Fifth Discipline. The art and practice of the learning organization. New York: Doubleday.
Greenstein, G. (1988) The Symbiotic Universe. New York, Morrow.
Stacey, R. (1992). Managing the unknowable. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Smuts, J.C, (1926) Holism and Evolution An early investigator of wholes
Watzlawick, P. (Ed.). (1983). The Invented Reality. New York: Norton.
Wheatley, M. (1992). Leadership and the New Science. San Francisco: Berrett Koehler.
Wilber, K. (1977) The Spectrum of Consciousness. Wheaton. Quest Books
Wilber, K. (1977) The Spectrum of consciousness, Quest Books. 2nd edition in 1993. Wilber, K. (1979)
No boundary, New Science Library A popularized guide giving an overview of the development process and various types of therapies.
Wilber, K. (1980) The Atman project, Wheaton: The Theosophical Publishing House. Evolution of consciousness in the individual biography. A very rich book integrating many strands of psychological theory.
Wilber, K. (1981) Up from Eden, Boston: Shambala Publications. Evolution of consciousness in the history of humanity. Draws on psychology, history, anthropology, religion, etc.
Wilber, K. (1983) A sociable God, McGraw-Hill. Sociology of religion.
Wilber, K. (1983) Eye to Eye. The Quest for the New Paradigm, New York: Anchor Press/Doubleday. Revised edition 1989 by Shambala A book on science and knowledge from a transpersonal perspective.
Wilber; K. (1995) Sex, Ecology, Spirituality. The Spirit of Evolution, Boston & London: Shambala Publications. This is Grand Theory if there ever was one. . . Philosophy, cosmology, spirituality, gender issues, ecology, whatever you want. 800 pages.
Wilber, K (1996) A brief history of everything, Shambala Publications A very accessible "summary" of Sex, Ecology, Spirituality.
Wiener, N. (1967). The human use of human beings. Cybernetics and Society. New York: Avon.
Clausen, L., "Social Differentiation and the Long-Term Origin of Disasters", in: "Natural Hazards", 1992 (VI), No. 2, p. 181-190, ISSN 0921-030X
ociology of disaster
New Species of Crisis: The Human Experience of Modern Disasters
Verta Taylor. 1978. "Future Directions for Study." Pp. 252-280 in Disaster: Theory and Research, ed. E. L. Quarantelli. London: Sage Publications .E. L. Quarantelliand Verta A. Taylor. 1978.
Lars Clausen, Elke M. Geenen, Elísio Macamo: "Entsetzliche soziale Prozesse. Theorie und Empirie der Katastrophen", Münster: LIT. 2003. Description:Disasters caused by human beings have become a "new species of social crises" that afflict persons and groups in particularly disruptive ways.
ocial Network Analysis
Scott, John. 2000. "Social Network Analysis: A Handbook." 2nd ed. London: Sage.
Wasserman, Stanley, and Katherine Faust. 1994. "Social Network Analysis: Methods and Applications." Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Wellman, Barry, and S.D. Berkowitz (Eds.). 1988. "Social Structures: A Network Approach." Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Description and Importance: These three books present a good basic introduction to social network analysis. Scott is the most general and most recent. Wasserman and Faust presents thorough methodological coverage. Wellman and Berkowitz is the most readable, theoretical and provides many case studies.
The New Urban Sociology
* Guy Ankerl, Urbanization Overspeed in Tropical Africa, Geneva: INUPRESS,1986 ISBN 2-88155-000-2.
* Mark Gottdiener, Ray Hutchison
* Westview Press,
2006.Description: Representing a major contribution to the field, authors Mark Gottdiener and Ray Hutchison present their breakthrough text in a new third edition, now completely revised and streamlined to provide students with a solid grounding on the topic. The book is organized around an integrated paradigm--the sociospatial perspective--which considers the role played by social factors such as race, class, gender, lifestyle, economics, culture, and politics on the development of metropolitan areas. New case studies throughout the text represent the most recent work in the field, as well as key terms and discussion questions at the end of each chapter. Additional updates include discussions of globalism, suburbanization, the multi-centered region as the new urban form, the new urbanism, and critical perspectives on planning and policy.
The urban question : a Marxist approach
* Manuel Castells
* Edward Arnold,
Experiencing Cities (2007)
List of scientific journals in sociology
List of publications in science
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of important publications in science — This is a list of important publications in different fields of science.The publications are organized by field.Mathematics* List of important publications in computer science * List of important publications in mathematics * List of important… … Wikipedia
sociology — sociologist, n. /soh see ol euh jee, soh shee /, n. the science or study of the origin, development, organization, and functioning of human society; the science of the fundamental laws of social relations, institutions, etc. [1835 45; < F… … Universalium
List of digital library projects — This is a list of projects related to digital libraries.General collections* AccessMyLibrary * AJOL African Journals OnLine free multidisciplinary database of peer reviewed, African published academic journals. * Arts and Humanities Data Service… … Wikipedia
List of types of systems theory — This list of types of systems theory gives an overview of different types of systems theory, which are mentioned in scientific book titles or articles. [Their are a lot of book titles named ... systems: theory and applications . This leaves the… … Wikipedia
List of atheists (miscellaneous) — Business* John Baskerville (1706 ndash;1775): English typesetter, printing innovator and typefounder, designer of the typeface that bears his name. [Baskerville left directions that his body be buried in a Conical Building in my own premises… … Wikipedia
List of scientific method topics — Scientific method is a body of techniques for investigating phenomena and acquiring new knowledge, as well as for correcting and integrating previous knowledge. It is based on observable, empirical, measurable evidence, and subject to laws of… … Wikipedia
List of master's degrees in North America — This list refers to specific masters degrees in North America. Please see master s degree for a more general overview. Contents 1 Master of Accountancy (MAcc or MAcy) or Master of Professional Accountancy (MPA) or Master of Professional… … Wikipedia
List of University of Michigan alumni — There are more than 425,000 living alumni of the University of Michigan. Famous alumni include the father of the iPod, the founders of Sun Microsystems and Google, the father of information theory, the voice of Darth Vader, the first doctor… … Wikipedia
List of converts to Islam — Converts to Islam Isabelle Eberhardt • Uluç Ali Reis • Claude Alexandre • Parameswara • Marmaduke Pickthall • Jacques Francois Menou • Rudolf Carl von Slatin • Lord Headley • Malcolm X … Wikipedia
List of Saint Joseph's University people — A list of notable alumni, faculty, and benefactors of the Saint Joseph s University.Notable alumniPolitics*Charles J. Dunlap, Jr. Deputy Judge Advocate General, Headquarters United States Air Force, Washington, D.C. *William T. Cahill Six term… … Wikipedia