- Bannanje Govindacharya
Shri Bannanje Govindacharya (Kannada:ಬನ್ನಂಜೆ ಗೋವಿಂದಾಚಾರ್ಯ ) is one of the foremost vedic scholars in the world today . He hails from Bannanje locality of
Udupiin Karnataka, India. He was born in 1936. He is in particular one of the greatest experts on the " MadhvaTathwa Shastras" or Madhva philosophy. He is best known for his "pravachanas" or discourses which are very popular among Kannadigasall over the world. Though his "pravachanas" (discourses)have made him a household name among Kannadigashis contributions to vedic scholarship also extend to voluminous writing. He is the author of numerous translations and commentaries both in Sanskritand Kannadaof the Vedic texts. His literary achievements also include his translation and commentaries of the complete texts of Shri Madhwacharya.
He started his study of the vedic texts and scriptures under his father "Tarkakesari" S. Narayanacharya and His Holiness Shri Vidyamanya Tirtha Swamiji of
PalimaruMatha. But the person who shaped Bannanje's future was the late Shri Vidyasamudra Tirtha Swamiji of Kaniyoorumatha.
Shri Bannanje Govindacharya has many contributions to Vedic scholarship to his name. He has authored numerous commentaries, translations and original works on the subject. He has also contributed hundreds of articles in magazines and journals. He also travels all over India and around the world giving discourses in Indian philosophy and Hindu scriptures.
Works of Madhwa : This monumental work is a painstakingly crafted reconstruction of the complete commentary on Madhwa's works by Shri Hrishikesha Tirtha, a direct disciple of Shri Madhwacharya of the 13th CE. It comprises 2000 pages in five volumes complete with footnotes and colophons. Two other works of Shri Madhwacharya, "Thithinirnaya" and "Nyasa Paddhathi" which were unknown were discovered and included in this work.A great work
Translation of major Sanskrit works into Kannada
Apart from the Vedic texts, Shri Bannanje has also translated several other Sanskrit works into
Kannada. These include,
* "Bana Bhattana kadambari" - A translation of
Bana Bhatta's novel
* "Shudraka's Mrichakatika
* Bhavabhuti's Uttaramacharita
* Several Sanskrit poems.
hort commentaries in Sanskrit
* "Anandamala" of shri trivikramarya dasa
Vayu Stuti" of Shri Trivikrama Pandita
* "Vishnu Stuti" of Shri Trivikrama Pandita
* "Chaturdashastotra" – different stotras in Sanskrit
* "Raghavendra stotra "
* "Jayathirtha stuti
* "vada ratnavali" of Shri Vishudasacharya
* A philosophical dialectic in
* Short commentaries for six upanishads with commentaries of Trivikramarya Dasa
Detailed commentaries in Sanskrit
Some of Bannanje's detailed commentaries in Sanskrit include,
* "Teeka"(critique) on Mahabharata Tatparya (yamaka bharatha) by Shri Madhwacharya
* "Teeka" on Shri Sumadhwavijaya of Narayana Pandita
* "Tippani" on bhagavata tatparya by shri madhwacharya
Translation of sanskrit to kannada
Shiva stuti", " Narashimha stuti"
Talavakaropanishad" (" Kenopanishad")
Krishnamritamaharnava" of Shri Madhwacharya
Tantra sara sangraha" of Shri Madhwacharya
Sangraha Ramayana" of Shri Narayana Panditacharya
* "Parashara kanda para tattva" (
Kannadarendering of Shri Vishu Purana)
* "Prameya nava malika" of Shri Narayana Panditacharya
* "Anu Madhwa Charita" & "Sampradaya paddhati"
* "Mangalashtaka" of Shri Rajarajeshwara "yati"
* "Yajneeya mantropanishat" ("Ishavasya")
* "Ananda Thirthara Bhakti Geetegalu" (
Kannadarendering of Shri Madhwacharya's Sanskritdevotional songs)
Apart from his voluminous writing, Bannanje has also contributed more than 800 articles on various important issues are published in different books, journals and magazines. He also served as the editor at
Udayavaniearly in his life.He has written book on life of Shree Madhwa acharya called Acharya Madhva: Baduku-Bareha published by RastraKavi Govinda Pai Samshodhana Kendra,Udupi.
Another notable contribution of his is to the Indian and Kannada film industries. He served as the expert consultant for
G V Iyer's movies on " Adi Shankaracharya", Shri Madhwacharya, Sri Ramanujacharya and the Bhagavad Gita. He also wrote the scripts for the Adi Shankaracharyaand Madhwacharyamovies. "Adi Shankaracharya" incidentally was the first ever Sanskrit movie.
Preservation of manuscripts
In 2005-2006, Professor P.R. Mukund (a disciple of Sri Bannanje) along with his colleague Dr. Roger Easton from the
Rochester Institute of Technologyin New York and Dr. Keith Knox of the Boeing Corporation in Hawaii, undertook the painstaking process of imaging and preserving the original "Sarvamoola Granthas" authored by Madhvacharyahimself. Knox and Easton had earlier imaged fragments of the Dead Sea scrollsand are on the imaging team for the Archimedes Palimpsestproject. Bannanje suggested this task as a project of enormous importance and is using the images in his studies of the manuscript. [ [http://taraprakashana.org/index_files/na_msnbc.htm News Article-msnbc ] ] [ [http://www.theengineer.co.uk/Articles/296162/Digital%20life%20for%20ancient%20text.htm Digital life for ancient text - News - The Engineer - [News: engineering news, engineering info, latest technology, manufacturing news, manufacturing info, automotive news, aerospace news, materials news, research & development ] ]
Recognition and honours
Bannanje has won numerous awards and various titles have been conferred on him by esteemed institutions. Some of these include
* The state award conferred by the
Government of Karnatakafor his meritorious service and scholarship in Vedic literature and philosophy.
* "Vidya Vachaspati - by Shri
Admar Muttswamiji, Udupi
* "Pratibhambudhi" - conferred on him by
Puttige Muttand Palimar Muttswamijis
* "Shastra savyasachi" - a title conferred by "Akhila Bharata Madhwa Maha Mandala",
* "Shri Krishanugraha Prashasthi" - an award presented by
* "Sahitya sarvabhouma" - saraswata maha vishwa vidyalaya,
* "Samshodhana Vichakshana" : by shri admar & shri palimar mutt
* "Pandita Ratna" : by palimar mutt swamiji
* "Pandita shiromani" - by Pratibha Ranga,
* "Pandita Ratna" : by Dwarakanath swamji of
Partagali Gokarna Mutt
* "Vidya Ratnakara" - title conferred by Shri Palimar Mutt swamiji
* The Academy of General Education,
Manipalpresented him a fellowship for the meritorious service and scholarship in Indian religion and philosophy.
* Participated in World Conference on Religion & Peace, Princeton, USA in 1979.
* Participated in World Sanskrit Conference in
* Was president to "Sanskrit Parishat" of
* Served as President of All India Madhwa Sammelanna in
* Served as President of the Sahitya Sammelanna in
* Participated in number of poetic symposiums and debates.
* [http://www.AnandaMala.org AnandaMala (Exclusive Website on Shri Bannanje and IshaVasya Prathistana, containing his lectures, articles, poems and much more)]
Ashta Mathas of Udupi
* [http://www.wie.org/j17/bannanje.asp?page=2 Bannanje Govindacharya Interview, 'Is the Ego an Illusion?']
* [http://www.vnn.org/world/WD9901/WD28-2924.html VNN World - Interview With Sri Bannanje Govindacharya]
* [http://web.archive.org/web/20060523220830/http://www.madhva.net/Bannanje/default.asp madhva.net - shrI Bannanje Govindacharya]
* [http://www.AnandaMala.org/ ANANDAMALA (Exclusive Website on Shri Bannanje and IshaVasya Prathistana, containing his lectures, articles, poems and much more )]
* [http://www.taraprakashana.org/downloads/Madhva_philosophy.zip Bannanje on Madhvacharya and "Tattva-vada"]
* [http://www.jnanadoota.org/html/jnanavani/bannanje2.htm A lecture series on the Mandukopanishat]
* [http://www.cis.rit.edu/people/faculty/easton/manuscripts-India-2006.html Guru Govindaacharya - Prof. Easton writes about his interactions with Bannanje during the imaging of the Sarvamoola Granthas]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.