- The Pentecostal Mission
The Pentecostal Mission (TPM) or New Testament Church (NTC) formerly known as Ceylon Pentecostal Mission (CPM), is a pentecostal denomination which originated in Ceylon, now Sri Lanka. The international headquarters is now situated in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. It is one of the largest Pentecostal denominations with around 7 million members worldwide in more than 65 nations. The mission was founded in Colombo, Sri Lanka in 1923 by a Hindu convert, Ramankutty - later known as Pastor Paul. It now has churches (or Faith Homes) in many parts of Sri Lanka, as well as India, Nepal, Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, USA, Europe, Africa, the Caribbean Islands and the Middle East.
In other parts of the world, the church is known by the following names:
- The Pentecostal Mission (TPM) - India (International HQ in Irumbuliyur Chennai, India)
- New Testament Church (NTC) - United States (HQ in Newark, New Jersey)
- Universal Pentecostal Church (UPC) - Great BritainHQ in Brixton, London)
- Ceylon Pentecostal Mission (CPM) - Sri Lanka (HQ in Mattakuliya, Srilanka)
- Eglise de Pentecote Primitive – France
- Grace New Covenant Pentecostal Church – Canada
- New Testament Church – Trinidad & Tobago
- Iglesia Communion Cristiana – Puerto Rico
- Iglesia Communion Cristiana – Dominican Republic
- New Testament Church – Sierra Leone
- New Covenant Pentecostal Church – Australia
- New Testament Church - New Zealand
- New Testament Church– Papua New Guinea
- New Testament Church – Nepal
- New Covenant Pentecostal Church – Fiji
- Iglesia del Nueva Testamento – Mexico
- Iglesia Communion Cristiana – El Salvador
- Iglesia Communion Cristiana – Costa Rica
- New Testament Church - Kenya
- Christliche Gnaden Gemeinde – Switzerland
- Neue Testament Kirche – Germany
- The Universal Pentecostal Church - Nigeria
- Pentecostal Church of Malaysia
- Pentecostal Church of Singapore
- New Testament Church - Middle East (Dubai, UAE)
- New Testament Pentecostal Mission - Uganda
- New Covenant Pentecostal Church - Philippines
- Universal Pentecostal Church - Hongkong
- New Testament Mission - Cyprus
- Deeper Truth Pentecostal Mission - Ghana
- Iglesia Communion Cristiana - Colombia
- Iglesia Del Nuevo Testamento - Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Eglise Universelle De Pentecote Primitive - Republic of the Congo
- New Testament Ministries - Malawi
- New Covenant Mission - Tanzania
- Eglise Pentecostiste Lagrace - Togo
- New Testament Church - Abu Dhabi( UAE Capital City)
- New Testament Church - Oman
- New Testament Church - Bahrain
- New Testament Church - Qatar
- New Testament Church - Kuwait
- Ny Testamente Menighed - Denmark
- Universal Pentecostal Church - Republic Of Ireland
- Chiesa del Nuovo Testamento - Italy
OTHER BRANCHES IN
- South Africa
- Ivory Coast
- Abu Dhabi
According to historian, Somarathna, "The Ceylon Pentecostal Mission owes its origin to the ministry of Walter Clifford." The church was founded by Pastor Paul along with Pastor Alwin R. de Alwis. Pastor Paul was born to Hindu parents in the district of Trichur in Kerala, India. While in Sri Lanka, at the age of 18, he became a Christian. Later, he felt a strong call from the Lord for his life and began to preach and share the gospel in various parts of Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Sri Lanka. In the initial stages, he had worked with other evangelists. The CPM espoused an ascetic approach to spirituality. The church also instituted indigenous forms of worship.
TPM worldwide is led by a Chief Pastor, who is usually appointed for life. Leadership is passed down after death to the next in seniority. The current chief pastor, Pastor Wilson Joseph.
In America most of the church work was pioneered by Late Don M Spiers who also worked with Oral Roberts ministries.
Doctrines and teachings
The doctrines of the church include: Trinity, New Birth, Water Baptism , Baptism of the Holy Spirit as evidenced by speaking in unknown tongues, Separation , Divine Healing, Entire Sanctification (of the Body, Soul and Spirit), Overcoming Life, Consecrated Ministry, Rapture, Tribulation and Great Tribulation, Resurrection, The Millennial Reign, The Great White Throne Judgement, and Eternity.
In November an International Youth Camp is held at Irumbuliyur in Chennai. Admission is strictly for the youths only who have below 30 years of age and unmarried. If any young boy want to participate in the youth camp, he should obtain B-Form from his local church and apply well in advance though his local church. Nobody is allowed to participate directly.
The main USA convention is held in Ohio this year in July. The largest European convention is in London in the last week of August.
Magazines in several languages are printed and distributed to subscribers. The English magazine published from India is called Voice of Pentecost. Pilgrim's Journal is published and printed in USA. Other English language magazines are: "Pentecostal Messenger" from Malaysia, "The Youth Herald" from Singapore, "Power Divine" from Sri Lanka, "Trumpet of the Lord" from the U.K.
Malayalam magazine PENTECOST is one of oldest Pentecostal magazines from Kerala. Hindi edition PENTECOST KI WANI published from New Delhi is also other landmark in the history of Church to spread the Gospel to northern part of India.
New Testament Christian Academy
Missions Education Fund (MEF)
Missions Education Fund (MEF) was founded in May 2007. MEF is 100% Christian Charitable Organisation that helps children from economic, social and physical poverty to receive education and enable them to become responsible , mature Christian adults. This sponsorship program is administered by Grace New Covenant Pentecostal Church Missions Education Fund and is managed by Volunteers. Today, MEF has helped over 483 children attend school in 15 countries including Sierra Leone, Togo, Congo, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Nigeria, Malawi, El Salvador, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Papua New Guinea & etc. The MEF wish to expand this program to many other countries. The MEF currently have donors representing 10 different countries.
Tracts of different kinds and various life issues (topics such as peace, salvation; questions about life and healings) are also published in different languages.
Many books are published in many languages by the church.
- ^ a b Critique Of Pentecostal Mission By A Friendly Evangelical
- ^ http://www.missionstudies.org/conference/1papers/fp/Roger_Hedlund_Full_Paper.pdf
- ^ Universal Pentecostal Church Brixton
- ^ History of Pentecostal Mission
- ^ Asian and Pentecostal: the charismatic face of Christianity in Asia By Allan Anderson, Edmond Tang
- ^ Oral Roberts
- ^ Basic doctrines
- Missions Education Fund (MEF)
- Doctrine of truth
- The Pentecostal Mission Media
- Pentecost Voice
- Audio sermons
- Download TPM Songs
- among many few TPM Church address in india
- TPM Church at Kellys
- TPM church locations addresses in Mumbai
- A local site of Church information and details
- The church Leaders list
- Free Gospel Resources from TPM in Indian Languages
- Testimony of the TPM founder Pastor Paul (Raman Kutty, as he was called before becoming a christian)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of Chief Pastors of the Pentecostal Mission — The term Chief Pastors refers to the higher authority or a post given to pastors in the New Testament Church, commonly known as The Pentecostal Mission. Contents 1 Current Leading Pastors 2 List of late Chief Pastors 3 Late Associate/ Deputy… … Wikipedia
Pentecostal Mission — may refer to:*Pentecostal Mission, an American 19th century holiness denomination that merged into the Church of the Nazarene in 1915 *The Pentecostal Mission, a Pentecostal denomination that originated in Sri Lanka in 1923 … Wikipedia
Pentecostal/Filadelfia Church — (Sweden) Pentecostalism came to Sweden in 1907 from Norway, and the first church was formed in 1913. It grew significantly, and by the end of the 20th century had become the largest Free Church movement in the country, with more than 90,000… … Encyclopedia of Protestantism
Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada — The Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada (PAOC) is Canada s largest denomination of Pentecostal churches.The organization includes over 1,100 member congregations throughout Canada, including every province and territory. Many of its churches have… … Wikipedia
Mission of Full Gospel — – Christian Open Door Country France Denomination Evangelicalism Website www.porte ouverte.com/ Clergy Senior pastor(s) Pastor Jean Peterschmitt … Wikipedia
Pentecostal World Fellowship — The Pentecostal World Fellowship emerged at the end of the 20th century. It was the latest step in a long process of unifying believers who shared the experience of the baptism of the Holy Spirit and the resulting manifestations of the gifts… … Encyclopedia of Protestantism
Pentecostal Church of New Zealand — The Pentecostal Church of New Zealand, today called the Elim Church of New Zealand is a historical Pentecostal denomination in New Zealand.The Pentecostal Church of New Zealand began with the revivals of Smith Wigglesworth in the early 1920s. But … Wikipedia
Pentecostal Assemblies of the World — Infobox Christian denomination name = Pentecostal Assemblies of the World imagewidth = caption = main classification = Protestant orientation = Pentecostal polity = Episcopal founder = founded date = 1906 founded place = separated from =… … Wikipedia
Mission (Christianity) — For other uses, see Mission (disambiguation). Part of a series on Christianity … Wikipedia
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints — Classification Latter Day Saint movement Theology Nontrinitarian, Mormonism Governance … Wikipedia