- Distortion (The Magnetic Fields album)
Distortion Studio album by The Magnetic Fields Released January 15, 2008 (US) Recorded Mother West, New York Genre Indie pop, noise pop Length 38:46 Label Nonesuch Records (US) Producer Stephin Merritt The Magnetic Fields chronology i
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic  Art Nouveau Magazine (Positive) The A.V. Club (A) Blender  NME (8/10) Pitchfork Media (8.0/10) PopMatters (8/10) Rolling Stone  This Is Fake DIY  Time Off  Tiny Mix Tapes 
As the album's name implies, several of the musical performances featured were distorted by various means. In particular, this sound quality was influenced by the 1985 album Psychocandy by The Jesus and Mary Chain. No synthesizers were used to record the album; it is the second in a "no-synth trilogy", after the 2004 album i and before the 2010 album Realism.
All tracks written by Stephin Merritt.
- "Three-Way" – 3:01
- "California Girls" – 3:00
- "Old Fools" – 3:02
- "Xavier Says" – 2:42
- "Mr. Mistletoe" – 2:59
- "Please Stop Dancing" – 3:01
- "Drive On, Driver" – 2:51
- "Too Drunk to Dream" – 3:00
- "Till the Bitter End" – 3:03
- "I'll Dream Alone" – 3:08
- "The Nun's Litany" – 2:58
- "Zombie Boy" – 3:05
- "Courtesans" – 2:59
- Stephin Merritt - vocals, instrumentation
- Sam Davol - cello
- Claudia Gonson - drums, piano, Farfisa organ, backing vocals
- Daniel Handler - accordion
- Shirley Simms - vocals
- John Woo - lead guitar
- A. Klasinski, I. Pearle, R. Stevens - "orgiasts"
Distortion was produced by Stephin Merritt. It was recorded with additional production by Charles Newman at Mother West, New York. Robert Stevens acted as assistant engineer. The album was mixed by Charles Newman, Stephin Merritt, and Tom Rogers. It was mastered by Jeff Lipton at Peerless, Boston with additional mastering by Tom Rogers.
The album design is by Evan Gaffney Design, with a photo by Marcelo Krasilcic. The Magnetic Fields logo was designed by Michael English.
Claudia Gonson provided management.
- ^ Allmusic review
- ^ Art Nouveau Magazine review
- ^ The A.V. Club review
- ^ Blender review
- ^ NME review
- ^ Pitchfork Media review
- ^ PopMatters review
- ^ Rolling Stone review
- ^ This Is Fake DIY review
- ^ Time Off review
- ^ Tiny Mix Tapes review
- ^ Christgau, Robert (January 2008). "Barbed Wire Kisses". Rolling Stone. http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews//album/17891836/review/17925154/distortion. Retrieved December 6, 2008.
- ^ "Realism | Nonesuch Records". Nonesuch Records. November 13, 2009. http://www.nonesuch.com/albums/realism. Retrieved November 18, 2009.
- ^ "Interview: Magnetic Fields' Stephin Merritt". The Village Voice. October 1, 2008. http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/archives/2008/10/interview_magne.php. Retrieved December 6, 2008.
- ^ Katie Hasty, "Keys Still Atop Album Chart In Slow Sales Week", Billboard.com, January 23, 2008.
The Magnetic Fields The Gothic Archies The 6ths Future Bible HeroesMemories of Love · Eternal Youth Soundtracks Related articlesDiscography · Strange Powers
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
I (The Magnetic Fields album) — Infobox Album | Name = i Type = Album Artist = The Magnetic Fields |200px Released = May 4, 2004 Recorded = Genre = Indie pop Length = 41:19 Label = Nonesuch Records 79683 Producer = Stephin Merritt Reviews = *Allmusic Rating|3.5|5… … Wikipedia
The Magnetic Fields — Les Magnetic Fields en concert en 2004. De gauche à droite : John Woo, Sam Davol, Claudia Gonson, Stephin Merritt. Pays d’origine … Wikipédia en Français
The Magnetic Fields — For other uses, see Magnetic field (disambiguation). The Magnetic Fields Magnetic Fields. From left to right: John Woo, Sam Davol, Claudia Gonson, Stephin Merritt. Background information … Wikipedia
The Magnetic Fields — Para el álbum del artista francés Jean Michel Jarre, véase Les Chants magnétiques. The Magnetic Fields Datos generales Origen Nueva York, Nueva York … Wikipedia Español
Distortion (disambiguation) — Distortion denotes the alteration of the original shape of an object, image, sound, or waveform. Distortion may also refer to: In science and technology: Distortion (optics), including barrel distortion and pincushion distortion Cognitive… … Wikipedia
The Charm of the Highway Strip — Studio album by The Magnetic Fields Released April 18, 1994 … Wikipedia
The Tragic Treasury: Songs from A Series of Unfortunate Events — Studio album by The Gothic Archies Released Oc … Wikipedia
Music on The Shield — The role of music is an important one on the FX television drama The Shield. Stylistically, the music on the show can range from hip hop (Master P) to mainstream pop (Duran Duran) to hard rock (Kid Rock) to country music (Johnny Cash), often… … Wikipedia
Mirages (album) — Mirages Studio album by Tim Hecker Released September 21, 2004 … Wikipedia
Daniel Handler — Handler at a party celebrating the publication of The End, the thirteenth and final installment of A Series of Unfortunate Events, on October 12, 2006, in New York City Born February 28, 1970 (1970 02 … Wikipedia