- Orkut Büyükkökten
Orkut Büyükkökten Born February 6th, 1975
Occupation Product Manager Years active 1987–2007
Orkut Büyükkökten (born February 6, 1975) is a Turkish software engineer who developed the social networking services Club Nexus, inCircle and Orkut.
Originally from Konya, Turkey, Büyükkökten obtained a B.Sc. degree in Computer Engineering and Information Science from Bilkent University in Ankara. He received both a M.S. and a Ph.D. in Computer Science from Stanford University. His research at Stanford focused on Web search and efficient PDA usage.
Orkut has been building and working on online communities since 2000. He introduced his first social network, named Club Nexus at Stanford in the fall of 2001. Club Nexus was the first college-specific social network. It was a system built to serve the networking and communication needs of the Stanford online community. Students could use Club Nexus to send e-mail and invitations, chat, post events, buy and sell used goods, search for people with similar interests, place personals, display their artwork or post editorial columns. Within a few months of its introduction, Club Nexus attracted over 2,000 undergraduates.
Later, Orkut introduced an alumni social network, named inCircle for the Stanford Alumni Association intended for use by university alumni groups.
Orkut decided to use his 20% time to develop a cyberspace preserve where the people of the world could intermingle in peace, presumably so their good vibes would go viral. He said: "My dream was to connect all the Internet users so they can relate to each other, it can make such a difference in people's lives." The product manager and Marissa Mayer thought of naming the service after its creator. "Orkut.com" belonged to Orkut Büyükkökten himself. Google convinced him, and its social networking service was called Orkut.
- Orkut Buyukkokten, Hector Garcia-Molina, Andreas Paepcke "Seeing the Whole in Parts: Text Summarization for Web Browsing on Handheld Devices". The 10th International WWW Conference (WWW10). Hong Kong, China - May 1–5, 2001.
- Oliver Kaljuvee, Orkut Buyukkokten, Hector Garcia-Molina, Andreas Paepcke "Efficient Web Form Entry on PDAs". The 10th International WWW Conference (WWW10). Hong Kong, China - May 1–5, 2001.
- Orkut Buyukkokten, Hector Garcia-Molina, Andreas Paepcke "Accordion Summarization for End-Game Browsing on PDAs and Cellular Phones". Human-Computer Interaction Conference 2001 (CHI 2001). Seattle, Washington - 31 March-5 April 2001.
- Orkut Buyukkokten, Hector Garcia-Molina, Andreas Paepcke. "Focused Web Searching with PDAs". The 9th International WWW Conference (WWW9). Amsterdam, Netherlands - May 15–19, 2000.
- Orkut Buyukkokten, Hector Garcia-Molina, Andreas Paepcke, Terry Winograd. "Power Browser: Efficient Web Browsing for PDAs". Human-Computer Interaction Conference 2000 (CHI 2000). The Hague, The Netherlands - April 1–6, 2000.
- Arturo Crespo, Orkut Buyukkokten, Hector Garcia-Molina. "Efficient Query Subscription Processing in a Multicast Environment". 16th International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE). San Diego, CA, USA, February 29 - March 3, 2000.
- Orkut Buyukkokten, Hector Garcia-Molina and Andreas Paepcke "Text Summarization of Web pages on Handheld Devices." Proceedings of Workshop on Automatic Summarization 2001 held in conjunction with NAACL 2001 (NAACL 2001), June 2001.
- Orkut Buyukkokten, Junghoo Cho, Hector Garcia-Molina and Luis Gravano "Exploiting geographical location information of web pages" Proceedings of Workshop on Web Databases (WebDB'99) held in conjunction with ACM SIGMOD'99, June 1999.
- Orkut Buyukkokten, Oliver Kaljuvee, Hector Garcia-Molina, Andreas Paepcke and Terry Winograd "Efficient Web Browsing on Handheld Devices using Page and Form Summarization" ACM Transactions on Information Systems (TOIS), Volume 20, Issue 1, January 2002.
- Dominic Hughes, Orkut Buyukkokten and James Warren "Empirical Bi-action Tables: a Tool for the Evaluation and Optimization of Text Input Systems, Application I: Stylus Keyboards" ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction (TOCHI), Special Issue on Mobile Text Entry. Volume 17, Issues 2 & 3, 2002. [
- Arturo Crespo, Orkut Buyukkokten and Hector Garcia-Molina "Query Merging: Improving Query Subscription Processing in a Multicast Environment." IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering. Volume 15, 2003.
- ^ "A social network caught in the Web". First Monday. 2003-06-02. http://www.scribd.com/doc/53501/Orkut-A-Social-Network-Caught-in-the-Web.
- ^ David Kirkpatrick (2010-06-08). The Facebook Effect. p. 79. http://books.google.com/books/about/The_Facebook_effect.html?id=RRUkLhyGZVgC.
- ^ Steven Levy (2011-04-12). In the Plex: How Google Thinks, Works, and Shapes Our Lives. http://books.google.com/books/about/In_the_Plex.html?id=V1u1f8sv3k8C.
- ^ Jesse Lichtenstein (2004-03-24). "The Wired World The Real Orkut". The New Yorker. http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2004/03/29/040329ta_talk_lichtenstein.
- ^ "Seeing the Whole in Parts: Text Summarization for Web Browsing on Handheld Devices". 2001-05-01. http://infolab.stanford.edu/~orkut/papers/www10b/index.html.
- ^ "Efficient Web Form Entry on PDAs". 2001-05-01. http://infolab.stanford.edu/~orkut/papers/www10a/index.html.
- ^ "Accordion Summarization for End-Game Browsing on PDAs and Cellular Phones". 2001. http://www-db.stanford.edu/~orkut/papers/pb3.pdf.
- ^ "Focused Web Searching with PDAs". 2000. http://infolab.stanford.edu/~orkut/papers/www9/index.html.
- ^ "Power Browser: Efficient Web Browsing for PDAs". 2000-04-01. http://www-db.stanford.edu/~orkut/papers/pb1.pdf.
- ^ "Efficient Query Subscription Processing in a Multicast Environment". 2000-02-29. http://www-db.stanford.edu/~orkut/papers/qm_ea.ps.
- ^ "Text Summarization of Web pages on Handheld Devices". 2001-06. http://www-db.stanford.edu/~orkut/papers/autosumm.pdf.
- ^ "Exploiting geographical location information of web pages". 1999-06. http://www-db.stanford.edu/~orkut/papers/geog.pdf.
- ^ "Efficient Web Browsing on Handheld Devices using Page and Form Summarization". 2002-01. http://www-db.stanford.edu/~orkut/papers/tois.pdf.
- ^ "Empirical Bi-action Tables: a Tool for the Evaluation and Optimization of Text Input Systems, Application I: Stylus Keyboards". 2002. http://www-db.stanford.edu/~orkut/papers/bitaps.pdf.
- ^ "Query Merging: Improving Query Subscription Processing in a Multicast Environment". 2003. http://www-db.stanford.edu/~orkut/papers/badd2.pdf.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Orkut — Logo de Orkut Création 22 janvier 2004 Fondateurs Orkut Büyükkökten … Wikipédia en Français
Orkut — www.orkut.com Motto Who do you know? Kommerziell Ja Beschreibung … Deutsch Wikipedia
Orkut — Quem você conhece? Información general URL http:// … Wikipedia Español
Orkut (given name) — Orkut Gender: Male Origin: Turkish Meaning: Holly city Related Names: Orhan, Kutalmış, Kutlu Orkut (pronounced [ˈoːɾkut]) is a common Turkish given name. It is composed of Or and K … Wikipedia
Orkut — For the name, see Orkut (given name). orkut orkut homepage as of April 2011 UR … Wikipedia
orkut — For the name, see Orkut (given name). orkut orkut homepage as of April 2011 UR … Wikipedia
Orcut — Orkut URL www.orkut.com Slogan Who do you know? Kommerziell? … Deutsch Wikipedia
Оркут — Orkut http://www.orkut.com/ Коммерческий: да Тип сайта: Социальные сети Регистрация: требуется Язык(и): многоязычный Владелец … Википедия
Konya — For other uses, see Konya (disambiguation). Konya Konya Collage … Wikipedia
Bilkent University — Infobox University name=Bilkent University native name=Bilkent Üniversitesi motto=Veritas established=1984 type=Private (Foundation university) rector=Prof. Dr. Ali Doğramacı provost= Prof. Dr. Abdullah Atalar students=12,000 city=Ankara… … Wikipedia