- Travel technology
Travel technology is a term used to describe applications of
Information Technology(IT), or Information and Communications Technology(ICT), in travel, tourismand hospitality industry. Travel technology may also be referred to as tourism technologyor even hospitality automation.
Definition of Travel Technology
Since travel implies locomotion, travel technology was originally associated with the
computer reservations system(CRS) of the airlines industry, but now is used more inclusively, incorporating the broader tourism sector as well as its subset the hospitality industry. While travel technology includes the computer reservations system, it also represents a much broader range of applications, in fact increasingly so. Travel technology includes virtual tourismin the form of virtual tourtechnologies. Travel technology may also be referred to as "e-travel" / "etravel" or "e-tourism" / "etourism" ( eTourism), in reference to "electronic travel" or "electronic tourism".
In other contexts, the term "travel technology" can refer to technology intended for use by travelers, such as light-weight laptop computers with universal power supplies or satellite Internet connections. That is not the sense in which it is used here.
Applications of Travel Technology
Travel technology includes many processes such as
dynamic packagingwhich provide useful new options for consumers. Today the tour guidecan be a GPS tour guide, and the guidebookcould be an audioguide, podguideor I-Tours, such as City audio guides. The biometric passportmay also be included as travel technology in the broad sense.
History of Travel Technology
Certainly travel technology was born on the coat-tails of the airline industry's use of automation and their need to extend this out to the
travel agencypartners. It should be kept in mind that there was an online world before the advent of the world wide webin the form of private and commercial online services, via packet switched networkusing X.25. Travel technology played a significant role in the so-called dot-com boomand bust, circa 1997-2001.
History of the Internet, History of the World Wide Web, Journey Planner
Open Travel Alliance
Sabre (computer system)
Amadeus IT Group
Galileo (computer system)
Online hotel reservations
List of global distribution systems
Scandinavian Multi Access Reservations for Travel Agents
Passenger Information System
Hotel Technology Next Generation
MagxiaIntegration Dynamic Packaging
* (2008) Egger, R., Buhalis, D. "eTourism Casestudies: Marketing and Management Issues in Tourism" Butterworth Heinemann/Elsevier
* (2006) Fesenmaier, D. R., Werthner, H, Wober K. W. "Destination Recommendation Systems: Behavioural Foundations and Applications". London: CABI.
* (2005) Egger, R. "Grundlagen des eTourism" Aachen: Sharker
* (2005) Tesone, Dana V. "Hospitality Information Systems and E-Commerce". New York: Wiley.
* (2004) Zhou, Z. "E-Commerce and Information Technology in Hospitality and Tourism". Canada: Thomson.
* (2003) Buhalis, D. "eTourism: information technology for strategic tourism management". England: Prentice Hall.
* (2003) Maurer, E. "Internet for the Retail Travel Industry". New York: Delmar Learning.
* (1997) Sheldon, P. "Tourism Information Technology". New York: CAB International.
* [http://www.ifitt.org/ International Federation for IT and Travel & Tourism (IFITT)]
* [http://www.ifitt.org/enter/ Annual IFITT ENTER conference]
* [http://itt.ec3.at/ Information Technology & Tourism journal]
* [http://www.tti.org/ Travel Technology Initiative (TTI)]
* [http://www.tim.hawaii.edu/Document%20Library%20%20Listserv/about_trinet.aspx TRINET - Tourism Research Information Network]
* [http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications Transportation Communications Newsletter]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Travel Technology Interactive — Tipo Sociedad anónima Euronext: ALTTI Fundación 2001 … Wikipedia Español
Travel Technology Interactive — Création 2001 Forme juridique Société Anonyme Action … Wikipédia en Français
Travel literature — Travel writing and its most common sub genres First edition of … Wikipedia
Travel insurance — is insurance that is intended to cover medical expenses, financial default of travel suppliers, and other losses incurred while traveling, either within one s own country, or internationally. Temporary travel insurance can usually be arranged at… … Wikipedia
Travel Trade Gazette Middle East & North Africa — Travel Trade Gazette (TTG) Middle East North Africa is a travel trade publication focussed on the entire Middle East and North African region.The publication is distributed via controlled circulation to over 19 countries and read by more than… … Wikipedia
Travel website — A travel website is a website on the world wide web, that is dedicated to travel. The site may be focused on travel reviews, the booking of travel, or a combination of both. Approximately seventy million consumers researched travel plans online… … Wikipedia
Travel journal — A travel journal, also called road journal or travelogue, is a record made by a voyager. Generally in diary form, a travel journal contains descriptions of the traveler s experiences, is normally written during the course of the journey, intended … Wikipedia
Travel agency — A travel agency is a retail business, that sells travel related products and services, particularly package tours, to end user customers, on behalf of third party travel suppliers, such as airlines, car rentals, cruise lines, hotels, railways,… … Wikipedia
Travel search engine — A travel search engine is a specialized type of Internet search engine that focuses specifically travel products, such as airline tickets, automobile rentals, hotel rooms, cruise tickets, and so on. Many have comparison shopping capabilities that … Wikipedia
Technology in Science Fiction — has helped create many common topics found in Science Fiction today. There have been authors who have taken innovations and have elaborated and created what they thought future technology would be and how it would be used. Today, new technology… … Wikipedia