- Dave the Barbarian
Dave the Barbarian
Format Animated television series
Children's television series
Created by Doug Langdale Voices of Danny Cooksey
Kevin Michael Richardson
Narrated by Jeff Bennett Country of origin United States Language(s) English No. of seasons 1 No. of episodes 21 (List of episodes) Production Running time 22 minutes Production company(s) Walt Disney Television Animation Broadcast Original channel Disney Channel (2004)
Toon Disney (2005)
Picture format 1080i (16:9) (HDTV) Audio format Dolby Digital First shown in United States Original run January 23, 2004– January 22, 2005 External links Website
Dave the Barbarian is an American animated television series created by Doug Langdale, creator of The Weekenders, that premiered on January 23, 2004 on Disney Channel and ended on January 22, 2005. Continuing to air in other countries after the show ended, the show follows a barbarian named Dave, his sisters, uncle, talking sword, and pet dragon on their daily adventures. The show is a Disney Channel Original Series.
The series takes place in the Middle Ages (albeit a strangely modernized version), and centers on a powerful yet cowardly barbarian named Dave who lives in the fictitious land of Udrogoth along with his older sister Candy and younger sister Fang. His parents, Throktar and Glimia, are the King and Queen, but are away "fighting evil" across the world (though they sometimes communicate via a magic crystal ball or cauldron), and have left Candy in charge of the kingdom while Dave is supposed to defend the kingdom (since he is the biggest). Together the three siblings, along with their "wizard" uncle Oswidge, are left to run and protect the kingdom.
There is a Narrator, referred to either as "the Narrator" or "the Storyteller." He is able to talk to the characters of the show, and vice versa, which breaks the fourth wall. In fact, he was once captured by The Dark Lord Chuckles the Silly Piggy, and was forced to tell the story from his kidnapper's commands.
Much like its predecessors Hagar the Horrible, The Flintstones and the short-lived The Roman Holidays, Dave the Barbarian juxtaposes both the ancient and modern. Candy, for example, shops in the local mall and uses the crystal ball for online shopping sprees. Occasionally, the series even breaks the fourth wall with a character directly addressing the audience or even communicating to the narrator.
Despite critical praise it suffered low ratings, Dave the Barbarian was put on hiatus in 2005, and no new episodes were since produced. It is one of the shortest-run Disney Channel Shows, with 21 episodes produced.
- Dave (voiced by Danny Cooksey) - the middle child and only brother of the three siblings. Dave is a huge, muscular barbarian war-prince who is very sensitive to pain and would rather knit and cook than fight evil. He is also afraid of many things and at least once an episode, he will be frightened somehow and shriek his high-pitched, effeminate scream. He is also allergic to many things. According to Fang, Dave wanted to be a barbarian when he was young, but thought a barbarian was a librarian who cut hair. His deepest desire is for everyone to act more noble and high class while he makes sweaters for poodles. Dave's catchphrases are "Bajabbers" and "Please don't hurt me! Oh, please, please, please!"
- Fang (voiced by Tress MacNeille) - the youngest of the three siblings. Fang is a very rambunctious and uncivilized girl who loves to smash things. She has long orange hair in a ponytail. She resembles a cross between both Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm of The Flintstones. She is the butt of a running joke in which she is often mistaken for a monkey, hence her catchphrase, "Not a monkey!" However, she frequently acts and appears to look like a monkey and during one episode she finds a tribe of monkeys that exactly resemble her. She is too small to fight most of the time and resents Dave (who is very strong) because of his cowardice. Although she aspires to be a tough bararian princess (ala Xena), she secretly likes to play with dolls. In one episode where the castle is being destroyed, she cries "All my dollies are in there!", then quickly tries to cover up what she just said. Fang wields a spear in combat. Fang's other catch phrase is, "Dave!".
- Candy (voiced by Erica Luttrell) - the oldest sister and sibling of the three siblings. Left in charge while the king and queen are away, Candy has a contemporary "valley girl" attitude and would rather shop and hang out than rule a kingdom. Candy's main ability is her martial arts skills.She is the kingdom's most beautiful girl and she's rather selfish, but gets over that in a small way while helping Hamwise and his wife defeat the nefarious Invisigoths. Candy is voiced by Erica Luttrell, she has used the quote "Don't mess with the princess" on a number of occasions and has referred to herself also as a Barbarian. She has displayed the most strength out of the family often when it comes to monsters destroying a shop or so; whether or not she is stronger than Dave remains unseen but out of the two, she is the one willing to use it. Her deepest desire is for everyone to act more cool and a better looking crown. She is the tritagonist.
- Oswidge (voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson) - Dave, Fang and Candy's uncle, likely on Glimia's side of the family, though this is based solely on appearance[original research?]. A rather clumsy sorcerer who usually wreaks havoc with his spells rather than being useful. It was revealed in the episode Sorceror Material that he never really went to sorcerer school, he just worked in the cafeteria. Uncle Oswidge loves to eat and presents a rather unkempt appearance. Like his niece Fang, he secretly likes to play with dolls. His favorite food is ham and he cannot resist it. He also cannot resist something called "Nut Logs". His most powerful spell is "Benzoyl Peroxide!". But his knowledge of magical items, and most other things surpasses the rest of the family. His deepest desires are to be more thin, able to eat all he wants without gaining a pound, having a head full of hair and being a powerful wizard. Oswidge has many ingrown toenails, one of which got almost as high as his knee.
- Faffy (voiced by Frank Welker) - the family's dumb pig-shaped pet dragon. Unlike most dragons, he breathes lightning and is domesticated, plus he does not have a tail. He does possess a wild streak that can be revealed when around other dragons, particularly evil ones with rebel attitudes. Faffy's name might be a parody of Fafnir's, a legendary dragon of Norse mythology. Voice legend Frank Welker provides the "voice" (mostly squeaks and snorts) of Faffy. It is mentioned in the show that Faffy has a one digit IQ. In the episode "Bad Food", in which it is revealed that he can talk, he is playing go-fish with friends. He says, "And the big chump [Dave, most likely] still thinks I can't talk!"
- Lula (voiced by Estelle Harris) - the shrill, impatient, sarcastic enchanted sword in Dave's scabbard is his weapon that speaks with a brooklyn accent and also has an autrocious habit of offending Dave and the other characters when she sees fit. Her main ability is shooting a lightning discharge from the tip of her blade. She was once the sword of Argon the Ageless, but was used by Argon as the nose of a snowman, and left there for centuries. She is age 20,000 and is related to many other magical weaponry, including mighty Mjolnir, hammer of Thor, and the trident of the water god Poseidon.
- King Throktar and Queen Glimia (voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson and Erica Luttrell) - they are the proper rulers of Udrogoth, the parents of Dave, Candy and Fang. They are away fighting evil around the world, though they can communicate to their children via Oswidge's crystal ball, which seems to operate like a phone. Occasionally are called while in a terrible situation.
- The Narrator (voiced by Jeff Bennett) - the narrator of the series. He has never been seen in an episode.
- Dinky and Cheezette (voiced by Erica Luttrell and Tress MacNeille) - they are Princess Candy's best friends, who are sometimes unsupportive - and wisely so - towards her actions. They are as obsessive about fashion, clothes, and social lives as is Candy.
- Mrs. Gert Bogmelon (voiced by Lisa Kaplan) - a witch-like shopkeeper who loves money and loves to rip off her customers. She can be cowed by Fang and other aggressive people but takes advantage of meek people like Dave. She sells evil weasels, mystical swords, and other plot-related paraphernalia, such as used T-shirts for sporting events.
- Twinkle The Marvel Horse (voiced by Jeff Bennett) - A parody of Christopher Walken. He is a magic pony with a rainbow tail, but inside he is an overly depressed and psychotic mind. This is apparently because he gets left on his own in the stable all the time. He often talks about his dreams, which are very disturbing. He is capable of flight, though he has no wings.
- The Dark Lord Chuckles the Silly Piggy (voiced by Paul Rugg) - an evil pig with a high-collared cape (and equally high voice) bent on ruling Udrogoth. He is the main antagonist of the show. Chuckles lives in a castle on the outskirts of the kingdom. He possesses the Mystic Amulet of Hogswineboar (named so because hogs, swine, and boars are all synonyms for the word 'pig'). This grants him amazing mystical powers such as telekinesis, shape-shifting, blasting magic to rival Lula's, and conjuration. He is also a whiz with technology, as evidenced by the Mecha-Dave. His schemes usually rely on a particular gimmick (like giant clams, giant ducks, evil pastries, or evil furniture). Catchphrase: (whenever he gets hurt) "Ooh, my little piggy [insert body part]". It was also revealed in one episode that he has a nephew named Knuckles the Silly Piggy, who wanted to be the Harvest Hog instead of a dark lord of evil.
- Malsquando (voiced by Rob Paulsen) - an evil sorcerer and Oswidge's rival. He has an obsession with taking over the world and getting a lot of money. He was revealed to be a member of the Evil Socerer's union. He also runs a shop that cures hiccats (magical hiccups that produce cats from one's mouth). Unlike Oswidge, he actually went to wizard's school.
- Quosmir (voiced by Michael McShane) - the god of freshly laundered trousers, overused punctuation and possibly other random and ridiculous things. He has mommy issues and carries a security blanket known as his "ni-ni lankie". He often experiences short-term memory loss and attention deficit disorder. He is a green skinned naga-like giant with the lower half of a snake instead of legs; he is always wearing a blue cape and a combover. He has a severe inferiority complex that is only exacerbated in the presence of his mother. He has immense magical powers including flight, super-speed, and flaming loogies.
- Princess Irmoplotz and Queen Zonthara (voiced by Melissa Rivers and Joan Rivers) - the evil sorceress princess of Hyrogoth that is trying to destroy Dave (or more likely she just wants to make Dave's life miserable). Her mother Zonthara is the ruler of Hyrogoth, and keeps on trying to teach Irmaplotz to be more evil. Her father is good, making her half-evil. Earlier in the show, Dave and Irmaplotz fell in love, but Dave decided that they were too different, and ended up dumping her, where she is now seeking revenge. She still may have feelings for him though; she once got the chance to destroy Dave, but she chose not to do so. She is similar to Dave in that they both have the same odd hobbies and interests (she and Dave both love "bad Poetry" for example). She also has the same allergies as Dave. She is very beautiful and an intellectual; she would be a great match for Dave, only if she were not an evil princess. She occasionally wears glasses (she has stated that she does not like to wear them as she feels they make her look bookish, even though she cannot see things from far away without them), due to her being nearsighted.
- Ned Frischman (voiced by Richard Steven Horvitz) - a nerd who works at a pants factory in the year 1994. He gains a radioactive zipper which he uses to travel back into time to attempt conquering the world by using the advanced technology of the future, such as the Game Guy (a parody of a Game Boy), and a joke book from the 1940s, both plans of which were thwarted by Dave and his family (Though he is defeated by Faffy, Lula and Twinkle the marvel horse because they do not have thumbs to play on the Game Guys).
This series has many historical issues that may or may not be intended by the show's producers. Although the series is theoretically set during the time of the Germanic invasions, many episodes include twenty-first century items or ideas or otherwise include other outside-the-current-era items/ideas. For example, one episode includes several New World birds, such as parrots and parakeets, more than 1000 years before the America's were discovered. In the same episode, various people throughout the kingdom are listening to rock 'n' roll, which wasn't invented until the 1950's. Another episode includes pirates, when the term would not be widely used until the 17th century.
This is a list of episodes and is listed in order of their airing in the United States.
# Title US Air Date Production Code 1 "The Maddening Sprite of the Stump / Shrink Rap" January 23, 2004 108
The Maddening Sprite of the Stump
Lula gets stuck in a tree stump during Dave's attempt to guard the Enchanted Forest against a giant man-eating muffin. When the royal family is unable to free Lula, a tiny, winged sprite establishes himself as the ruler of Udrogoth.
- Shrink Rap
2 "Pet Threat / Lula's First Barbarian" January 23, 2004 103
Faffy is sad because the family forgot to get him anything during Dragon Appreciation Week, so Dave buys Faffy a diseased weasel for a pet. The diseased weasel gets all of Dave's attention, so Faffy runs away. The weasel turns out to be Chuckles The Silly Piggy, who wants to steal a magical fruit hidden in Faffy's room.
- Lula's First Barbarian
3 "Girlfriend / Ned Frischman: Man of Tomorrow" January 23, 2004 111
Dave begins dating Princess Irmaplotz, but breaks up with her when he learns that she is evil. Irmaplotz is upset about the breakup and sends an army of filthy pixies to attack Udrogoth.
- Ned Frischman: Man of Tomorrow
4 "Beef! / Rite of Pillage" January 23, 2004 109
Candy seeks instant muscle gratification, but the magic broccoli she eats to strengthen her muscles makes her dumber and wanting to eat more.
- Rite of Pillage
5 "King for a Day or Two / Slay What?" January 23, 2004 105
King for a Day or Two
Dave in his capacity as temporary ruler of Udrogoth forces the citizenry to attend his musical production, "Oh, Pastry!"
- Slay What?
6 "Civilization / The Terror of Mecha-Dave" January 30, 2004 104
Candy sets her sights on making Fang presentable in high society.
- The Terror of Mecha-Dave
7 "The Way of the Dave / Beauty and the Zit" February 6, 2004 101
The Way of the Dave
Candy's quest for an ultra-trendy antler hat takes her outside of the kingdom and in direct conflict with Chuckles the Silly Piggy.
- Beauty and the Zit
8 "Band / Web" February 13, 2004 110
The teen protectors of Udrogoth spend their downtime jamming in a popular rock band.
9 "Sorcerer Material / Sweep Dreams" February 20, 2004 102
Uncle Oswidge has the "Hicats" and need to go to Malsquando's, only to realize that Malsquando knew Oswidge back in the past and tells Dave and Fang that Uncle Oswidge worked in a cafeteria and never went to sorcery school in order to break Oswidge's confidence and get him out of Malsquando's path to way to world domination.
- Sweep Dreams
10 "Here There Be Dragons / Pipe Down!" February 27, 2004 106
Here There Be Dragons
Faffy's allegiance to his dragon brethren makes it tougher for Dave to reverse an unnatural heat wave that has struck Udrogoth.
- Pipe Down!
11 "Termites of Endearment / Thor, Loser" March 19, 2004 107
Termites of Endearment
Vermites destroy Dave's boutique only to find out that they are controlled by The Dark Lord Chuckles the Silly Piggy.
- Thor, Loser
12 "The Princess and the Peabrains / Horders & Sorcery" March 26, 2004 112
The Princess and the Peabrains
Candy makes her friends princess while she haves fun and all. Meanwhile, Chuckles and his silly nephew are planning to take over Udrogoth (not to mention that his nephew really wants to be a Harvest Hog).
- Horders & Sorcery
13 "The Brutish Are Coming / The Lost Race of Reeber" April 30, 2004 113
The Brutish Are Coming
Dave and Fang try to protect Udrogoth from invading monsters.
- The Lost Race of Reeber
14 "That Darn Ghost! / The Cow Says Moon" October 2, 2004 114
That Darn Ghost!
Candy discovers that she is the only person in Udrogoth who does not have a ghost haunting her house. Caring for their sister, Dave and Fang go down to the local ghost shop, and hire a ghost. The ghost throws a huge ghost party, and everyone's ghost attends. After Candy tries to kick them all out, the ghosts get angry, and chase the gang around Udrogoth.
- The Cow Says Moon
15 "Night of the Living Plush / I Love Neddy" December 27, 2004 116
Night of the Living Plush
Candy has bought too many plush animals. When her room explodes from being stuffed with too much fluff, she finally realizes that she needs to buy more. Chuckles discovers that Candy needs plush toys, and disguises himself as a piggy doll. After Candy buys him and takes him home, she immediately leaves and buys more. Meanwhile Chuckles, using his amulet, creates an army of plush animals, in an attempt to conquer Udrogoth.
- I Love Neddy
16 "Shake, Rattle, & Roll Over / Bad Food" December 28, 2004 118
Shake, Rattle, & Roll Over
While retrieving the magical Combat Rattle from an ancient temple, Faffy causing a statue to come to life and attack Dave and the others. Dave decides to get Faffy trained, so Chuckles disguises himself as a dragon trainer in order to steal the Combat Rattle.
- Bad Food
17 "Red Sweater Of Courage / Dog Of Titans" December 29, 2004 119
Red Sweater Of Courage
To make Dave brave, Fang makes him wear the Red Sweat er of Courage. Unfortunately, Dave becomes so brave that he insults Chuckles, Malsquando, and Quasmire, so the three villains team up to destroy Udragoth.
- Dog Of The Titans
18 "Fiends & Family / Plunderball" December 30, 2004 121
Fiends & Family
When her parents announce that they have to start their quest all over again, Fang is crushed and cheering her up is a Herculean task.
19 "A Pig's Story" January 17, 2005 120 Dark Lord Chuckles the Silly Piggy has a plan that can't fail; he kidnaps the Storyteller and forces him to read narration in which Dave loses! Chuckles soon finds himself not only Master of the World, but also the new star of "Dave the Barbarian", which has been renamed "The Dark Lord Chuckles the Silly Piggy Will Destroy You All Variety Hour." But when the Storyteller gets laryngitis, it looks like the winner will be whoever can find the best new narrator.
Note: This is the real final episode.
20 "Lederhosen of Doom / Floral Derangement" January 21, 2005 115
Lederhosen of Doom
Fang gets some pants sent by her parents and doesn't bother to read the note that came with them. This is problematic, because the note explains that the pants are the evil trouser beast and will take control of anyone who wears them. Fang loves the pants at first because they give her fantastic strength — at last she's as strong as Dave! But soon the pants take her over, using her as a tool to get revenge on their hated foe... Oswidge.
- Floral Derangement
21 "Not a Monkey / Happy Glasses" January 22, 2005 117
Not a Monkey
Fang gets an illness, so Uncle Oswidge and Dave take her to the doctor. The doctor says that Fang gets the illness that only monkeys get. Fang can only get the cure from the island far far away. The cure is berries. After a long cruise, they reached the island. Fang sets out to find the berries but she is taken away by a pack of monkeys that coincidentally look just like her, and Fang begins to wonder if she actually IS a monkey. They accept her at first but when she eats the berries and isn't cured, Fang realizes she is not a monkey. But she is in trouble when she gets chased by monkeys, Dave is chased by gorillas, and Faffy is chased by lemons. Lula, meanwhile, stays at the hotel.
- Happy Glasses
Awards and Nominations
- Annie Awards
- 2005 - Storyboarding in an Animated Television Production - Wendy Grieb for episode "The Maddening Sprite of the Stump" (Won)
- 2005 - Writing in an Animated Television Production - Evan Gore & Heather Lombard for episode "Ned Frischman: Man of Tomorrow" (Nominated)
Disney Channel Original Series 1997–2000 2001–2004 2005–2011 Currently airing Upcoming seriesAustin & Ally See also
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Dave the Barbarian (character) — Superherobox caption=Dave the Barbarian, the main character of the Disney animated series Dave the Barbarian. character name=Dave the Barbarian real name=Dave (no last name given) publisher=Disney Channel debut= The Maddening Sprite of the Stump… … Wikipedia
List of Dave the Barbarian episodes — The following is an episode list for the Disney Channel series Dave the Barbarian .This is a list of episodes and is listed in order of their airing in the United States. In Australia all episodes aired in 2003 to 2004. They all comprise one… … Wikipedia
List of Dave the Barbarian characters — The following is the list of characters in the Disney Channel series Dave the Barbarian .Main characters Dave the Barbarian A huge, muscular barbarian war prince who would rather knit and cook than fight evil. A gentle giant, Dave is afraid of… … Wikipedia
Girlfriend (Dave the Barbarian) — infobox Television episode Title = Girlfriend Series = Dave the Barbarian Episode = 3 Season = 1 Writer = Director = Production = 111 A Airdate = January 23, 2004 Prev = Lula s First Barbarian Next = Episode list =List of Dave the Barbarian… … Wikipedia
Shrink Rap (Dave the Barbarian) — infobox Television episode Title = The Maddening Spire of the Stump Series = Dave the Barbarian Episode = 1 Season = 1 Writer = Director = Production = 108 B Airdate = January 23, 2004 Prev = The Maddening Sprite of the Stump Next = Pet Threat… … Wikipedia
Candy (Dave The Barbarian) — Superherobox caption=Candy, the older sister of Dave the Barbarian. character name=Princess Candy real name=Candy (no last name given) publisher=Disney Channel debut= The Maddening Sprite of the Stump January 23, 2004 creator =Doug Langdale Base… … Wikipedia
List of items in Dave the Barbarian — These are the items from the Disney animated series Dave the Barbarian. Mystical Grape of DoboMeGobo A very magical fruit that if swallowed will turn whoever swallowed it into a hideous creature, the Dark Lord Chuckles the Silly Piggy ate it and… … Wikipedia
Lula (Dave the Barbarian) — Superherobox caption=Lula (behind Dave), the quite sarcastic sidekick of Dave the Barbarian. character name=Lula real name=Lula publisher=Disney Channel debut= The Maddening Sprite of the Stump January 23, 2004 creator=Doug Langdale Base of… … Wikipedia
Fang (Dave the Barbarian) — Superherobox caption=Fang, the younger sister of Dave The Barbarian. character name=Fang age=10 real name=Fang (no last name given) publisher=Disney Channel debut= The Maddening Sprite of the Stump January 23, 2004 age=10 (diseased) cause=Eating… … Wikipedia
Anexo:Episodios de Dave the Barbarian — Esta lista corresponde a los episodios de la Serie Original de Disney Channel, Dave the Barbarian. Temporadas Temporada Episodios USA Hispanoamérica España Comienzo Final Comienzo Final Comienzo Final 1 21 23 de enero de 2004 22 de enero de 2005 … Wikipedia Español