- Neurosis (band)
Neurosis performing in Seattle, Washington, 2008.
Background information Origin Oakland, California, USA Genres Post-metal, sludge metal, hardcore punk, crust punk Years active 1985−present Labels Neurot, Relapse, Alternative Tentacles, Lookout!, Alchemy, Your Choice Records Associated acts Neurosis & Jarboe, Tribes of Neurot, Red Sparowes, Harvestman, Blood and Time, A Storm of Light, Battle of Mice, Jesus Fucking Christ Website www.neurosis.com Members Scott Kelly
Steve Von Till
Past members Adam G. Kendall
Neurosis is a post-metal band, based in Oakland, California. They formed in 1985 as a hardcore punk band, and their sound progressed towards a doom metal style that also included influences from dark ambient and industrial music as well as incorporating elements of folk music. The band is highly regarded as the primary pioneer of its genre, sometimes referred to as post-metal. Critic Brian Russ has described them as "atmospheric hardcore".
In late 1985, Scott Kelly, Dave Edwardson and Jason Roeder (formerly members of Violent Coercion) founded the band as a hardcore punk outfit, borrowing from British crust punk like Amebix. In 1986 Chad Salter was added on second guitar. In 1989 Chad Salter was replaced by Steve Von Till.
It has gradually progressed through a variety of styles, arriving at a mixture of heavy metal and acoustic, minimalistic ambience which has proved influential on the doom metal scene.
From 1990 to 1993, Adam G. Kendall was recruited to create the visuals and perform live with the band. Following his departure from touring, Pete Inc. took over the job, although Kendall continued to contribute visuals for the band until as late as 1997. Kendall also shot the footage for the "Locust Star" video. Josh Graham took over live visuals in early 2000, and is still with the band to date, having also done album artwork for 2004's The Eye of Every Storm and 2007's Given to the Rising.
Often experimental and psychedelic in nature, the visuals have added to the reputation of Neurosis' live performances. Many of the visuals for their tours supporting Through Silver in Blood can be found in Ken Russell's film Altered States. Other images are included in the enhanced portion of the Sovereign mini album, and on the A Sun That Never Sets DVD video release. The majority of the DVD release was directed by Josh Graham, with an additional video by Chad Rullman.
Additionally, the band have founded their own independent record label, Neurot Recordings, which, in addition to releasing material from Neurosis and its associated projects, has since become home to several innovative musicians.
In 2009, José Carlos Santos of Terrorizer described Neurosis as "arguably the most influential band of the past two decades."
The band will enter the studio in December 2011 to record the follow up to Given to the Rising.
Neurosis have cited Hank Williams, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, King Crimson, Black Flag, Hawkwind, Joy Division, Rudimentary Peni, Celtic Frost, Melvins, Die Kreuzen, Killing Joke, Amebix, and Voivod as inspirational.
Neurosis have a burger named after them. 
- Scott Kelly - guitar, vocals, percussions (Tribes of Neurot, Blood and Time, Shrinebuilder; previously in Violent Coercion)
- Steve Von Till - guitar, vocals, percussions (Tribes of Neurot, Culper Ring, Harvestman)
- Dave Edwardson - bass guitar, keyboards, synthesizer, vocals (Tribes of Neurot, The Enemies, I Am Spoonbender, Jesus Fucking Christ; previously in Violent Coercion)
- Noah Landis - synthesizer, organ, piano, samples (Tribes of Neurot, Blood and Time; previously in Christ On Parade)
- Jason Roeder - drums (Tribes of Neurot, Sleep; previously in Violent Coercion)
- Josh Graham - visual artist (Tribes of Neurot, ex-Red Sparowes, ex-Battle of Mice, A Storm of Light, Blood and Time)
- Studio albums
- Pain of Mind LP (1987, Alchemy Records)
- The Word as Law LP/CD (1990, Lookout! Records)
- Souls at Zero LP/CD (1992, Alternative Tentacles)
- Enemy of the Sun LP/CD (1993, Alternative Tentacles)
- Through Silver in Blood LP/CD (1996, Relapse Records)
- Times of Grace LP/CD (1999, Relapse Records)
- A Sun That Never Sets LP/CD (2001, Relapse Records)
- The Eye of Every Storm LP/CD (2004, Neurot Recordings/Relapse Records)
- Given to the Rising LP/CD (2007, Neurot Recordings)
- 7" singles/EPs
- Locust Star (split w Tribes of Neurot) MCD (1996, Relapse Records)
- In These Black Days (split w/ Soilent Green) 7"EP (1999, Hydrahead Records)
- Neurosis & Jarboe LP/CD (2003, Neurot Recordings)
- Live albums
- Live in Lyon CD (2002, Neurot Recordings)
- Live in Stockholm CD (2003, Neurot Recordings)
- Live at Roadburn 2007 CD/2×LP (2010, Neurot Recordings/Roadburn Records)
- Neurosis & Jarboe a collaboration between Neurosis and Jarboe
- Tribes of Neurot - The "alter ego" of Neurosis; a collective of musicians that create dark ambient and noise music.
- Blood and Time - An acoustic side project of Neurosis with apocalyptic folk overtones.
- Culper Ring - A brief side project of Neurosis experimenting with dark ambient and industrial music.
- Red Sparowes - A group formerly featuring Josh Graham, as he departed the group early 2008.
- A Storm of Light - A heavy/drone/experimental/rock band featuring Josh Graham.
- Harvestman - an ambient/industrial side band featuring Steve Von Till.
- Violent Coercion - pre-Neurosis Hardcore/punk band with Scott Kelly on guitar, Dave Edwardson on bass and Jason Roeder on drums.
- Jesus Fucking Christ - A heavy punk/thrash band reminiscent of Pain of Mind-era Neurosis featuring Dave Edwardson on bass and vocals.
- Shrinebuilder- A stoner metal "super group" featuring Scott Kelly
- ^ "Neurosis". The BNR Metal Pages. http://www.bnrmetal.com/v2/bandpage.php?ID=Neur. Retrieved 2008-01-11.
- ^ "Atmospheric Hardcore". The BNR Metal Pages. http://www.bnrmetal.com/v2/genre.php?ID=A. Retrieved 2008-01-11.
- ^ Neurosis interview with Scott Kelly at Exclaim.ca
- ^ José Carlos Santos, Terrorizer #188, September 2009, p. 40.
- ^ Anthony Bartkewicz, Decibel Magazine No. 31, May 2007.  Access date: June 18, 2008
- ^ Q&A with Scott Kelly of Neurosis, October 17, 2000  Access date: June 18, 2008
- ^ Jasper, Interview with Neurosis, Lords of Metal,  Access date: July 9, 2008.
- ^  January 18, 2011.
- Neurosis official website
- Neurosis at MySpace
- An interview with Josh Graham, March 2008
- Neurosis article July 2007
- COC: article
- Ram: interview
- Brooklyn Vegan: interview
Neurosis Former membersPete Inc. • Simon A. McIlroy • Adam G. Kendall • Chad Salter Albums Singles and EPsAberration • Empty • Locust Star • The Doorway/Threshold • Sovereign Official bootlegsLive in Lyon • Live in Stockholm Video/DVD Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Neurosis — This article is about the term in psychology. For the band, see Neurosis (band). Neurosis is a class of functional mental disorders involving distress but neither delusions nor hallucinations, whereby behavior is not outside socially acceptable… … Wikipedia
Neurosis & Jarboe — was a collaboration effort between the post metal/sludge metal group Neurosis, and the former Swans keyboardist/vocalist Jarboe. They released their self titled debut album in 2003 on Neurot Recordings. The album s artwork was designed by Jarboe… … Wikipedia
Neurosis & Jarboe (album) — Neurosis Jarboe Studio album by Neurosis Released 21 October 2003 … Wikipedia
Isis (band) — Infobox musical artist | Name = Isis Img capt = Isis appearing on the cover of Decibel in November 2006. From left to right: Aaron Turner, Aaron Harris, Michael Gallagher, Jeff Caxide, and Bryant Clifford Meyer. Img size = 255 Background = group… … Wikipedia
Mastodon (band) — This article is about American sludge metal band Mastodon. For the American band formed by brothers Dino and John Elefante, see Mastedon. Mastodon Mastodon performing live at the Heineken Jammin Festival in 2007 Background informati … Wikipedia
ISIS (Band) — Isis Gründung 1997 Genre Doom Metal/ Post Rock/ Post Hardcore Aktuelle Besetzung Gesang, Gitarre Aaron Turner Gitarre Mike Gallagher Bass … Deutsch Wikipedia
Gojira (band) — Infobox musical artist Name = Gojira Img capt = Img size = 250 Landscape = Yes Background = group or band Alias = Godzilla Origin = Bayonne, France Genre = Death metal Thrash metal Progressive metal Groove metal (see below) Years active =… … Wikipedia
Black Flag (band) — Refimprove|article|date=January 2007Infobox Musical artist Name = Black Flag Img capt = Black Flag performing in 1984. Left to right: Greg Ginn, Henry Rollins, and Kira Roessler. Drummer Bill Stevenson is not visible behind Rollins. Background =… … Wikipedia
Polka Tulk Blues Band — Black Sabbath Black Sabbath; Stuttgart 1999 Gründung 1969 Genre Hard Rock, Heavy Metal Website … Deutsch Wikipedia
Zao (US band) — Infobox musical artist Name = ZAO Img capt = Zao and Dan Weyandt live in Karlsruhe, Germany, 10.09.2004. Img size = Landscape = yes Background = group or band Origin = Original: Parkersburg, West Virginia, USA Current version: Greensburg,… … Wikipedia