- For the binary star, see Algol.
An original Demonstar screenshot, 2-player mission
Developer(s) Mountain King Studios Publisher(s) Mountain King Studios Distributor(s) Mountain King Studios Version 4.04 Platform(s) Microsoft Windows Release date(s)
- NA December 31, 1997
Genre(s) Shoot 'em up Mode(s) Single-player, multiplayer Media/distribution Download System requirements
Demonstar is a shareware computer game developed by Mountain King Studios, based on their earlier game Raptor: Call of the Shadows. It is a top-down vertical scrolling shooter game with an outer space theme. The game shares many similarities with the Raiden series. Demonstar features various power-ups, including smart bombs and other power-ups which modify the types of projectiles that the player's ship fires.
The full version of the game features 18 levels. At the end of each level is a boss ship that the player must defeat to finish the level.
Demonstar's storyline is not considered a major part of gameplay in Demonstar, and it is not featured in-game. One can only find a short description in the game's help file. The story starts with the Terran Fleet developing a new prototype starfighter (the RaptorX), and the player is a test pilot of that prototype. Suddenly, the Xidus Armada Fleet, the Terran Fleet's arch enemy (ever since Galactix), launches an all-out surprise attack on the Terran Fleet that catches them with their guard down, destroying all Raptor fighters in the process, save the few RaptorX prototypes which were away being tested. Now the player must battle through the Xidus Fleet alone, destroy their ultimate weapon, codenamed the Demonstar, and save the rest of the Terran Fleet.
Power-ups and bonuses
Numerous power-ups are featured in-game:
Secondary shots (floating colored icons with an "S"). The player starts with a primary shot which cannot be upgraded. The secondary weapons add extra strength. There are four type of projectiles available:
- Proton laser (yellow strips): the weakest of all, but gives the ability to spread-shot after upgrades and can attack enemies at a wide angle.
- Ion cannon (blue strips): more powerful than proton lasers, but shoots only in the forward direction.
- Plasma cannon (red strips): the most powerful and most concentrated shot of all; fires a single beam of plasma cannon in the forward direction and a small spread of lower-powered shots either side.
- Magnetic pulse (orange balls): a rare power-up which homes on to the enemy; its power is weak at the start, but after upgrading it matches the ion cannon in power.
If the player collects another type of secondary shot, it will set that shot to level 1. All secondary shots can be upgraded only 6 times towards their highest levels. Further upgrades of the same type release a 360-degree attack (e.g. more ion cannon power-ups release small ion bombs following 6 upgrades or the "Full Power" power-up). The power of both primary and secondary shots diminishes with distance.
Full power (floating "S" with 3 colored balls rotating around):This power-up upgrades the player's secondary shot to level 6 and is accompanied by a shout of satisfaction from the pilot.
Bombs (floating colored octagons with a "B"): The type of mega-weapon which is a standard in "shoot'em up" games:
- Mega bomb (yellow): its action is similar to a nuclear weapon which deals huge amounts of damage to enemies in close proximity. Clears all enemy bullets on screen.
- Scatter bomb (red): a defensive weapon that scatters explosives around the player's ship before exploding. Clears all enemy bullets on screen.
- Mega pulse (blue): a rare laser-type weapon which is very damaging to enemies directly in front of the player's ship
Missiles (floating square with an "M"): Two kinds of missiles are available in-game:
- Missiles (blue): powerful weapon that shoots in forward direction only.
- Homing missiles (red): have the same strength as regular missiles, but home onto the enemy.
Missiles are limited and are not upgradeable.
Side-and-tail fire power-up :Adds side or rear firing.
- Side Shooter (red): Adds side firing.
- Rear Shooter (blue): Adds rear firing.
Can be powered up to a maximum of 3.
Shield power-ups: offensively and defensively protects the player's ship for a short period of time.
- Crystal :Increases the players shield by one point.
- Energy (floating colored icon with an "E") Increases the players shield to the maximum.
The game has eighteen levels with enemies and bosses which get progressively harder to destroy. They alternate between levels of flying through outer space and flying over the surface of an enemy planet or moon with some foes on the ground. The shareware version of the game has only the first 6 levels.
- Outer Space - in the full version, the player is given the option to "warp" to level 7.
- Desert Base
- Outer Space - characterized by blue auroras down the sides of the game screen.
- Fuel Refinery - introduces the orange magnetic power-up.
- Outer Space - has red auroras down the sides.
- Ore Planet
- Outer Space - the first level not available with the trial.
- Water Planet
- Outer Space - has big white shapes in the background.
- Industry Planet - includes enemies from all the other levels.
- Outer Space - has crossing indigo stripes across the screen.
- Research Moon
- Outer Space - has crossing green stripes across the screen.
- Farming Planet
- Outer Space - brown-themed with asteroids and moonbases.
- Volcanic Moon - shows the explodable scenery from the past few levels.
- Outer Space - has crossing red stripes across the screen.
- Demonstar Base - has gray hexagonal shapes in the background. Fight the Demonstar here.
After the original Demonstar was released, two spin-off titles have been released: Demonstar Secret Mission 1  and Demonstar Secret Mission 2 . These games have many improvements, including better graphics, re-designed models and icons, higher difficulties, etc.
Demonstar full version has a built-in level editor . The level editor can be activated via Command Prompt. Also, users can load user made levels and publish their own. The level editor has never been demonstrated and is considered to be a secret.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Mountain King Studios — (formerly known as Cygnus Studios) is a computer game company located in Chicago, IL. It was founded by game programmer/game designer Scott Host. Contents 1 Games (as Cygnus Studios) … Wikipedia
Список компьютерных игр:D — Компьютерные игры # | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | … Википедия
List of video game musicians — The following is a list of computer and video game musicians, those who have worked in the video game industry to produce video game soundtracks or otherwise contribute musically. A broader list of major figures in the video game industry is also … Wikipedia
Robert Prince — Infobox musical artist | Name = Robert Prince |Background = non performing personnel Birth name = Robert Caskin Prince III Alias = Bobby Prince Born = Origin = Instrument = Genre = Video game music Occupation = Composer, Musician Years active =… … Wikipedia
List of games supporting force feedback — This is a list of PC games that support force feedback.PC GamesAction/Adventure* Abomination * * Allegiance * * * B.F.R.I.S. * Black White * BreakNeck * Bugriders * Carmageddon II * Carmageddon TDR2000 * * * Cold Fear * Colin McRae Rally 2 * Colt … Wikipedia
Bobby Prince — Robert Prince Robert Prince, aussi connu comme Bobby Prince, est un compositeur et designer sonore. Il a travaillé comme contrat indépendant pour plusieurs sociétés de jeu vidéo, dont notamment id Software et Apogee Software / 3D Realms. Il a… … Wikipédia en Français
Robert Prince — Robert Prince, aussi connu comme Bobby Prince, est un compositeur et designer sonore. Il a travaillé comme contrat indépendant pour plusieurs sociétés de jeu vidéo, dont notamment id Software et Apogee Software / 3D Realms. Il a créé la musique… … Wikipédia en Français
Robert Prince — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Robert Prince, también conocido como Bobby Prince, es un compositor y diseñador de sonido. Ha trabajado como contratista independiente para varias empresas de videojuegos, principalmente para id Software y Apogee/3D… … Wikipedia Español
Аркада (игра) — У этого термина существуют и другие значения, см. Аркада … Википедия
Список композиторов музыки для видеоигр — Ниже приведён список композиторов музыки для видеоигр, работавших в компьютерной индустрии над музыкальным сопровождением видеоигр. Список отсортирован в алфавитном порядке по фамилиям. # А Б В Г Д Е Ё Ж З И К Л М Н О П … Википедия