- Destination hotel
A destination hotel is a hotel whose location and amenities make the hotel itself a destination for tourists, rather than merely a convenient place to stay while traveling through or visiting the area for other reasons. Destination hotels are also called destination lodgings and sometimes destination resorts. The market for destination hotels is the subject of academic and business analysis.
A destination hotel is often characterized by:
- Upscale lodging, dining, and activities
- Recreation and entertainment on the hotel's own property
- Distinctive characteristics of the building, gardens, and sometimes history
Since the 1800s, the traditional concept of a destination hotel has been based upon a venue which is typically remote and has a natural feature as its attraction. For example, the Kviknes Hotel in Norway is a difficult to reach remote location which provides visitors access to the scenic fjord at Balestrand. Historically there were certain built-in amenities such as gourmet cuisine, music recitals and shoreline trails; however, the amenities of modern (post 1980) destination hotels dwarf the scale of these earlier models. Many of the Las Vegas and Caribbean resort hotels have complete shopping malls, conference centers and large entertainment halls on site; thus, the contemporary version of a destination often features large on-site capital investment in activities, although the access to a local natural feature is still retained by many newer destination hotels (e.g. Hotel l'Anjajavy in Madagascar).
There are numerous historic venues which were well known in the 19th century, some of which survive to the present. Examples of these properties include:
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel, George Town, Penang, Malaysia
- Raffles Hotel, Singapore
- Kviknes Hotel, Balestrand, Norway
- Metropole Hotel, Avalon, California, USA, circa 1887 Victorian style hotel
- Gilroy Yamato Hot Springs, Gilroy, California, USA
- Ahwahnee Hotel, Yosemite National Park, California
- Hotel Metropole, Vienna, Austria
- Mohonk Mountain House, New Paltz, New York. Owned and operated by the Smiley family since 1869.
- Greenbrier Resort, White Sulphur Springs, W. Va., USA
- Grand Hotel-Mackinac, Mackinac Island, Mich.
- Hotel del Coronado, Coronado, California
Types of destination hotels
There are several distinct types of destination hotels including:
- Geographically remote locations often associated with a noteworthy natural feature such as a volcano or rainforest
- Urban settings
- Conference center oriented
- Specialized activity settings (e.g. Disneyland Hotel)
- Hotels of unusual construction by virtue of being built into a specialized environment (e.g. ice hotels, cave hotels or treehouse hotels)
- Boutique hotels
- Luxury resorts
- Canada's grand railway hotels
- ^ Alvin L. Arnold, Arnold Encyclopedia of Real Estate, John Wiley and Sons (1995).[page needed]
- ^ a b Grant Ian Thrall, Business Geography and New Real Estate Market Analysis, Oxford University Press, Oxford, England (2002).
- ^ Stephanie Avnet Yates, Best Places Southern California, Sasquatch Books (2003)
- ^ National Register of Historic Places, U.S. Dept. of Interior, National Park Service, Office of Management and Budget No. 1024-0018
- ^ pg. 121, Dieter Klein, Martin Kupf, Robert Schediwy (Ed.) Stadtbildverluste Wien - Ein Rückblick auf fünf Jahrzehnte. LIT Verlag, Vienna 2005. ISBN 3-8258-7754-X
- ^ John Thomas Delaney, Paul F. Clark, Ann C. Frost, Collective Bargaining in the Private Sector, University of Illinois (2002)
- ^ John Hill, Robert Glazier, Winford "Buck" Lindsay, Thomas Sykes, Stephen A. Kliment, Brian McDonough, Building Type Basics for Hospitality Facilities, John Wiley and Sons, New York (2001)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
Viva Destination Hotel — (Гургаон,Индия) Категория отеля: 3 звездочный отель Адрес: 364/18 Civil Lines … Каталог отелей
Destination marketing organization — Contents 1 Australia 2 Barbados 3 Germany 4 Korea … Wikipedia
Destination spa — This article is about a health destination. For other uses, see Spa (disambiguation). Destination spa in Bormio Italy A destination spa is a short term residential/lodging facility with the primary purpose of providing individual services for spa … Wikipedia
Destination Unknown (novel) — Destination Unknown … Wikipedia
Destination Hotels & Resorts — is a privately held lodging management company headquartered in Englewood, Colorado. With 30 independent, luxury and upscale hotels, resorts and golf clubs, Destination Hotels Resorts is the fifth largest independent hospitality management… … Wikipedia
Hôtel de Brunoy — L hôtel de Brunoy, vu depuis les Champs Élysées. Dessin de Jean Baptiste Lallemand. Période ou style néoclassique Type hôtel particulier Architecte … Wikipédia en Français
Destination inconnue (Agatha Christie) — Destination inconnue Destination inconnue Auteur Agatha Christie Genre Roman d espionnage Titre original Destination Unknown Pays d origine Royaume Uni Éditeur Collins Crime Club Date de parution 1954 Type de média … Wikipédia en Français
Hôtel de Mondainville — Hôtel de Mondrainville Hôtel de Mondrainville Vue générale de l édifice Présentation Nom local ou hôtel de la Monnaie Période ou style … Wikipédia en Français
Hôtel de Mondrainville — Nom local ou hôtel de la Monnaie Période ou style Renaissance Type Hôtel particulier Fin construction … Wikipédia en Français
Hôtel de Saint-Florentin — Façade sur cour. Nom local Hôtel de La Vrillière Hôtel de Talleyrand Périgord Période ou style néoclassique Type hôtel particulier … Wikipédia en Français