- Antioch University New England
Antioch University New England is a private graduate school located in
Keene, New Hampshire. It is part of the Antioch Universitysystem that includes campuses in Seattle, Washington; Los Angeles, California; Santa Barbara, California; and Yellow Springs, Ohio. According to the Antioch University New England [http://www.antiochne.edu/aboutane/students.cfm website] the average age of the students there is 36. "Women comprise 73% of the student body. About 70% of our students are New Englanders who commute from as far away as Portland, Maine, southern Connecticut, and western New YorkState. The remaining 30% have relocated to Keene from across the United Statesand from as far away as China, Africa, and the Middle East."
Antioch Collegeleaped into the realm of graduate education, launching a new graduate school on the East Coast. The goal of the new institution was education with a practical and progressive bent: graduate education that connected students with the world around them in practical and meaningful ways (see [http://www.antiochne.edu/aboutane/mission.cfm Antioch Mission Statement] ). The new school, called Antioch-Putney, opened its doors in Putney, Vermont.
The pioneering students all entered the master's program for education and spent much of their time gaining practical experience to complement their classroom work. They worked to serve the largely neglected rural communities in the region with their teaching.
The school moved from Putney to Harrisville, in the
New Hampshirehills. It slowly grew, offering more graduate programs and expanding the scope of the education department. And the name changed to Antioch New England Graduate School.
Antioch University New England, as it is currently known, is situated in a renovated building that used to be an old furniture factory in
Keene, New Hampshire, almost exactly midway between the former locations. It serves a student body of around 1,200 students, offering master's degrees in twenty-three different programs, and two doctoral programs.
Students are still required to perform as many as 600 hours of on the job experience, during intensive internships that prepare Antioch students for the practical work ahead. Classes are scheduled with the working student in mind. To create the time for those internships, each department usually holds all its classes on one or two days of the week. The University works hard to maintain its commitment to service by working together with local and regional organizations to create a stronger community. One example is the Antioch New England Institute (ANEI), formed to encourage greater community engagement in such areas as local government, education, and environmental protection. (See the Antioch [http://www.antiochne.edu/aboutane/mission.cfm Mission Statement] .)
Offering master's degrees in clinical mental health counseling, dance/movement therapy, marriage and family therapy, substance abuse counseling, and a certificate program in autism spectrum disorders.
Offering a doctoral program in clinical psychology (
Offering master's degrees in integrated learning and Waldorf teacher training, as well as programs for experienced educators and principal certification.
Antioch University New England offers one of three established Waldorf Teacher Training programs in the United States (the others being
Sunbridge Collegeand [http://www.steinercollege.org Rudolf Steiner College] ). Antioch's Waldorf training program is noted because it offers optional state certification and master's degree additions to the Waldorf training. The Antioch Center for School Renewal, the service wing of the education department, provides ongoing support for teachers and schools working to create nurturing, equitable environments for teaching and learning.
Beginning in the summer of 2007, students from across the country will begin study in School Change, Leadership, or Educating for Sustainability in the summer sequence program. This program will combine three weeks of intensive study under some of the most innovative educators around with fall and winter course work in their own schools and classrooms.
Offering master's degrees in conservation biology, environmental advocacy, environmental education, science teacher certification, resource management and conservation, and individualized programs. Antioch New England also offers a doctoral program in environmental studies.
A student internship in
Environmental Studieseventually blossomed into a journal published nation-wide and respected in its field. Antioch University New England proudly reaps the fruit of that project, the annual environmental journal Whole Terrain, a journal of "reflective environmental practice."
Antioch University New England's Environmental Advocacy and Organizing Program was recognized by Moveon.Org's Executive Director,
Eli Pariser, as a model program for working positively to promote and protect the environment ( [http://www.antiochne.edu/news/news_detail.cfm?News_ID=146 Antioch News] ).
Organization & Management
Offering master's degrees in management, administration and supervision, a "green MBA" (MBA in organizational and environmental sustainability), and an organization development certificate.
Antioch New England's green MBA program is one of few in the United States. Curriculum and faculty come from the Department of Environmental Studies as well as from Organization & Management.
Alumni and faculty
Notable Antioch University New England faculty
Steve Chaseis the founder and Director of the Environmental Advocacy And Organizing Program in the Department of Environmental Studies at Antioch.
David Sobelis a core faculty member in the EducationDepartment. He is recognized as one of the originators of the philosophy of place-based education. He is the author of "Beyond Ecophobia: Reclaiming the Heart in Nature Education" (1996 ISBN 0913098507), "Place-Based Education: Connecting Classrooms and Communities" (2004 ISBN 091309854X), "Mapmaking with Children: Sense-of-Place Education for the Elementary Years" (1998 ISBN 0325000425), "Children's Special Places: Exploring the Role of Forts, Dens, and Bush Houses in Middle Childhood" (1993 ISBN 0913705810), among numerous articles about childrenand nature.
Tom Wesselsis a much loved member of Antioch’s Environmental Studies faculty. Seemingly sprung from the woods himself, Wessels takes students through the history of New England’s varied landscapes. Wessels' books, enjoyed by experts and laypeople alike, teach the reader to see the world differently. His books include "The Myth of Progress: Toward a Sustainable Future" (2006), "Untamed Vermont" (2003), "The Granite Landscape: A Natural History of America’s Mountain Domes from Acadia to Yosemite" (2001), and "Reading the Forested Landscape: A Natural History of New England" (1997)."
Notable Antioch University New England alumni
Steve ChaseMS in Environmental Studies, May 1996, and Ph.D., November 2006. Chase's dissertation, entitled [http://www.antiochne.edu/directory/page.cfm?page_id=230&id=7160014802&Type=Page "Activist Training In The Academy Developing a Master’s Program in Environmental Advocacy and Organizing"] is on the topic of creating the Antioch University New England Master's program in Environmental Advocacy And Organizing.
David Sobel(M.Ed) is currently a core faculty member at Antioch (see above)
* [http://www.antiochne.edu/ Antioch University New England] - "Official website"
* [http://www.antiochne.edu/acsr/ Antioch New England: Antioch Center for School Renewal]
* [http://www.multiculturalcenter.org/ Antioch New England: Multicultural Center for Practice and Research]
* [http://www.schoolsgogreen.org/ Antioch New England Institute] - consulting and community outreach department
* [http://www.50states.com/college/detail/nh/245865.htm 50 States Profile of Antioch University New England]
* [http://schools.gradschools.com/graduate-schools/Antioch-New-England.html Gradschools.com profile of Antioch University New England]
Other Antioch campuses
* [http://www.antioch.edu Antioch University overview]
* [http://www.antioch-college.edu/ Antioch College, Ohio]
* [http://www.mcgregor.edu/ Antioch University McGregor]
* [http://www.antiochsea.edu/ Antioch University Seattle]
* [http://www.antiochla.edu Antioch University Los Angeles]
* [http://www.antiochsb.edu Antioch University Santa Barbara]
* Antioch University New England. "About ANE: ANE History." (2006). World Wide Web. Retrieved October 24, 2006, [http://www.antiochne.edu/aboutane/history.cfm Link]
* Antioch University New England. "About ANE: ANE Students." (2006). World Wide Web. Retrieved October 24, 2006, [http://www.antiochne.edu/aboutane/students.cfm Link]
* Antioch University New England. "About ANE: Mission and Values." (2006). World Wide Web. Retrieved October 24, 2006, [http://www.antiochne.edu/aboutane/mission.cfm Link]
* Antioch University New England. "Antioch New England" (2006). World Wide Web. Retrieved October 24, 2006, [http://www.antiochne.edu/ Link]
* Antioch Center for School Renewal. "Antioch New England: Antioch Center for School Renewal" (2006). World Wide Web. Retrieved October 24, 2006, [http://www.antiochne.edu/acsr/ Link]
* Antioch New England Institute. "Building Stronger Communities and Schools" (2006). World Wide Web. Retrieved October 24, 2006, [http://www.schoolsgogreen.org/ Link]
* Antioch University New England. "Antioch New England: News & Event Details" (2006). World Wide Web. Retrieved October 25, 2006, [http://www.antiochne.edu/news/news_detail.cfm?News_ID=146 Link]
* Grad Profiles. "Antioch New England." Retrieved June 11, 2007, [http://www.gradprofiles.com/antiochnewengland.html Link]
* MediaMente. "Jerome Clayton Glenn." Retrieved June 11, 2007, [http://www.mediamente.rai.it/mmold/english/bibliote/biografi/g/glenn.htm Link]
* Watts, Heidi. (2000) Antioch in New England: The First Eight Years, Antioch New England Graduate School. ISBN 1-881245-13-6
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Antioch University — Infobox University name = Antioch University native name = image size = caption = latin name = motto = tagline = established = 1978 [http://antiochiana.antioch.edu/PresidentsList.htm Presidents of Antioch ] ] type = Private university system… … Wikipedia
Antioch University McGregor — Infobox Education in the United States name= Antioch University McGregor motto= Be the Difference streetaddress= 900 Dayton Street city= Yellow Springs state= Ohio zipcode= 45387 phone= 937.769.1818 website= [http://www.mcgregor.edu] president=… … Wikipedia
Antioch University Santa Barbara — Infobox University name = Antioch University Santa Barbara established = 1977 [ Infoplease.com [http://www.infoplease.com/edu/colleges/5138/] ] type =Private faculty = 117 [ Antioch University Santa Barbara General Catalog 2007 2009. Pages 105… … Wikipedia
New England College — Not to be confused with University of New England. New England College Motto Dura duranda alta petenda Motto in English We work hard to achieve greater heights … Wikipedia
Antioch University — ▪ university, Yellow Springs, Ohio, United States private coeducational institution of higher learning founded in 1852 as Antioch College in Yellow Springs, Ohio, U.S. It is noted for its experimental curricula and work study programs.… … Universalium
Chester College of New England — Chester College redirects here. For the United Kingdom educational institution formerly known as Chester College, see University of Chester. Chester College of New England Established 1965, as White Pines College Type P … Wikipedia
University of New Hampshire — Motto Science, Arts, Industry Established 1866 Type Flagship Public … Wikipedia
New Hampshire Institute of Art — Established 1898 Type Private Undergraduates 427 … Wikipedia
Antioch College — infobox University name= Antioch College endowment= $36.2 millioncite news last =Fain first =Paul title =Antioch s Closure Signals the End of an Era publisher =The Chronicle of Higher Education date =2007 06 22 url… … Wikipedia
New Hampshire — This article is about the U.S. state of New Hampshire. For other uses, see New Hampshire (disambiguation). State of New Hampshire … Wikipedia