industry=Shoot Fighting, Hybrid Wrestling, Mixed Martial Arts
homepage= [http://www.pancrase.co.jp/en/ http://www.pancrase.co.jp/en/]
Pancrase Hybrid Wrestling is a
mixed martial artsorganization founded in Japanin 1993by professional wrestlers Masakatsu Funakiand Minoru Suzuki. "Pancrase" is taken from Pankration, a sport in the ancient Olympic games. Suzuki and Funaki are particularly skilled in the art of catch wrestlingand based the promotion on professional wrestlingconsisting of shoots rather than works. Per its custom, its champions are named "King of Pancrase" rather than the title of "Champion".
The promotion had a rule-set more similar to that of professional wrestling than those used in contemporary fighting organizations such as
Shooto. Just as in Japanese professional wrestling, closed-fists to the face were illegal and submission holds had to be broken when a competitor made it to the ropes. However, beginning in 1998, it began adopting a rule set more in line with other mixed martial artsorganizations, with most fights transitioning to the new ruleset by 2000.
On November 7, 2007 [http://www.iatv.tv/Press/iaTV_Pancrase_PR_FINAL.pdf] , a weekly television series entitled "Pancrase: Legends of Mixed Martial Arts" premiered on pan Asian cable network
ImaginAsian TV[ [http://www.iatv.tv/pancrase PANCRASE on iaTV ] ] . Hosted by King of Pancrase Open Weight Champion Josh Barnettand Rob Wu, the show looks at legendary fights going back to the beginning of the organization.
In 2008, The Fight Network has began airing classic Pancrase events in Canada and the U.K.
Masakatsu Funaki, Minoru Suzuki, Yusuke Fukeand others from the shoot-style Fujiwara Gumiwrestling promotion left the company, due to (mentor and promoter) Yoshiaki Fujiwara's decision to cooperate with the likes of Universal Lucha Libreand W*INGand favoring showmanship over in-ring work. As suggested by Karl Gotch, Pancrase was formed by Funaki, Suzuki and Fuke, and the promotion would focus on pure shoot style wrestlingwith limited gimmicks and no predetermined outcomes. The first King Of Pancrase Open Weight champion was Ken Shamrock(later becoming famous for his exploits in the Ultimate Fighting Championship), who had previous experience in the Newborn UWF and Fujiwara Gumi. Over the years, Funaki and Suzuki held the title alongside other big names, such as Bas Rutten, Frank Shamrockand Guy Mezger.
Pancrase now recognizes King of Pancrase titles in the super heavyweight, heavyweight, light heavyweight, middleweight and welterweight divisions, and there are plans to award new lightweight and featherweight champions in the future. The open weight title was recently restored and is currently held by
Josh Barnett, who formerly competed in PRIDEand the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Minoru Suzuki no longer competes for Pancrase, as he returned to regular professional wrestling in 2003 as a freelancer, but he primarily competes in All Japan Pro Wrestling.
Aside from the traditional grappling rules (e.g., no biting, no eye-gouging) the rules were formerly as follows:
* No elbows to the head (neither while standing nor on the ground).
* No closed-fist strikes to the head (neither while standing nor on the ground).
* No knees to the head on the ground.
* No kicks/stomps to the head on the ground.
* If a participant gets too close to the ropes, he is stood back up on the feet. (as opposed to PRIDE's recentering in the middle of the ring)
* Non-title matches consist of one 15 minute round; Title matches consist of one 30 minute round.
* If a participant is caught in a submission and taps out, (whether unable to reach the ropes or not) it is a loss.
* Five "escapes" are given to each fighter at the start of every match. An escape can be used when caught in a submission near the ropes, in which case the participant can grab them, be stood back on the feet and have one point deducted. Once a participant has used all of his escapes, it is a loss.
* For knockouts, a ten-count similar to boxing and kickboxing is used. If the participant is unable to answer the ten-count, it is declared a TKO and that fighter has lost the match. However, if the participant is able to answer the ten-count, the fight resumes and one point is deducted.
* If, at the end of regulated time, neither fighter has submitted, been knocked out, or lost all their points, a decision is rendered based on who lost fewer points. If neither fighter lost any points, or both lost the same number of points, the fight is declared a draw.
* In the 1994 King of Pancrase tournament, the rules were slightly different, in that the first round had one 10 minute round and three rope escapes, and the finals had one 20 minute round with three rope escapes.
* For a short period of time when
Bas Ruttenwas the King of Pancrase, heelhooks were banned because of the frequency of injuries.
Today, Pancrase uses mixed martial arts rules similar to the ones in
PRIDE FCand Shooto.
Current King of Pancrase champions
Former KOP Title Holders
Other notable fighters
* Yoshiki Takahashi
PRIDE Fighting Championships
Ultimate Fighting Championship
* [http://www.pancrase.co.jp/en Pancrase Website (JP)]
* [http://www.pancrase.us Pancrase Website (US)]
* [http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?organization_id=19 Pancrase event results at sherdog]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Pancrase — Вид спорта Смешанные единоборства Основание 1993 год Основатель Масакацу Фунаки Минору Судзуки Страна … Википедия
Pancrase — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Pancrace (homonymie). Le Pancrase ou Pancrase Hybrid Wrestling est une organisation fondée au Japon en 1993 par Masakatsu Funaki et Minoru Suzuki. Le nom Pancrase vient du pankration, un sport de combat des Jeux… … Wikipédia en Français
Pancrase Fighting Championship — Le Pancrase Fighting Championship ou PFC est un évènement français de combat libre ou Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) organisé selon les règles du Pancrace sous l égide de la FFSCDA (Fédération française de sports de contact et disciplines associées).… … Wikipédia en Français
Список чемпионов Pancrase — Ниже приведён список чемпионов организации Pancrase японского промоутера профессиональных боёв по смешанным единоборствам называемых «Королями Панкрейса». Весовые категории приведены согласно старых правил (первая строка) и в текущих рамках… … Википедия
List of Pancrase champions — Below is a list of King of Pancrase Champions at each weight class.Title histories =Featherweight Championship= :135 to 145 lb (61.2 kg to 65.8 kg) =Middleweight Championship= : 170 to 185 lb (77.1 to 83.9 kg) =Super Heavyweight Championship= :… … Wikipedia
Кондо, Юки — В Википедии есть статьи о других людях с такой фамилией, см. Кондо. Юки Кондо Общая информация Полное имя 近藤 有己 Гражданство … Википедия
Masakatsu Funaki — Funaki in 2010 Born March 13, 1969 (1969 03 13) (age 42) Aomori Prefecture, Japan … Wikipedia
Minoru Suzuki — Suzuki in April 2008. Born June 17, 1968 (1968 06 17) (age 43) Yokohama, Kanagawa Nationality … Wikipedia
Рюттен, Бас — В Википедии есть статьи о других людях с такой фамилией, см. Рюттен. Бас Рюттен … Википедия
List of male mixed martial artists — This is a list of notable professional male mixed martial arts fighters in alphabetical order. NOTOC A * David Tank Abbott (Cage Rage, Strikeforce, UFC) * Hiroyuki Abe [cite web|title=Hiroyuki Abe s Mixed Martial Arts Statistics |… … Wikipedia