- Sam the Eagle
Sam the Eagle is a character from the syndicated
televisionshow " The Muppet Show", performed by Frank Oz. The name "Sam" is probably derived from Uncle Sam. The Bald Eagleis the official symbol of the United States, and Sam's patriotic spirit differentiates himself from the rest of the Muppet cast.
On the show, Sam acts as a censor and comments on his being under-appreciated. He often gives important
lectures in which he complains about some liberal idea only to find himself forced to stop in embarrassment at risk of sounding like a hypocrite. On one occasion he gives a lecture about conservationismin which he reads a list of endangered animal species that he feels are the focus of misguided conservation efforts, only to sheepishly withdraw his statement when he realizes that his own species is included. In another sketch, he lectures on indecency because all people are naked underneath their clothes, then leaves the podium in embarrassment upon realizing that all birds are similarly naked underneath their feathers.
Throughout the first season of "The Muppet Show," Sam introduces his favorite singing duo, Wayne and Wanda, with gushing aplomb, praising them for their appropriateness. Although they are never able to finish a song (their routines always end with
slapstickviolence), Sam, nevertheless, adores them because they appeal to his conservative sensibilities; the couple sings old standards like "You Do Something to Me" and "It's only a Paper Moon".
Though he claims to be a cultured bird, close observation reveals that Sam knows nothing about culture. He has mistaken
Beethovenfor a playwright and believes The Sound of Musicwas written by William Shakespeare. Sam is often hostile towards others who do not possess similar views, and, in one episode, he throws casually dressed guest star Rudolf Nureyevout of the building in a fit of temper, mistaking him for a bum. Although he is forgiven by Nureyev, he is still disheartened because Mr. Nureyev (whom he believes is an opera singer rather than a ballet dancer) did not live up to his expectations. Similarly, Sam makes a bet with Kermit the Frog during the Elton Johnepisode and is forced to wear a flamboyant, albeit patriotic, costume.
Sam was originally created by Muppeteer
Frank Oz. Sam is currently performed by Eric Jacobsonwho began performing him in 2005. He was performed by Kevin Clashin 2002-2004.He was also performed by Drew Masseywhen he appeared in
* "Why am I here?" (A Muppet Family Christmas)
* "You there! You were in charge of railing dust! Thirty lashes, and then you walk the plank!" (Muppet Treasure Island)
* "Any man caught dawdling will be shot on sight!" (Muppet Treasure Island)
* "You are all weirdos." (The Great Muppet Caper)
* "It's times like this I'm proud to be an American." (The Great Muppet Caper)
* "Kermit, does this film have socially redeeming value?" (The Muppet Movie)
* "It was sick, and weird." (The Muppet Movie, after Scooter asks for his thoughts during the closing credits)
*Sam: "You'll love business, for it is the American way!":Charles Dickens (Gonzo): " [whispers into Sam's ear] ":Sam: "Oh, it is the British way!" " [thinks for a few seconds, then looks at Charles Dickens] "
* Sam: (to the viewers) Also, don't walk with your 3D glasses on. Otherwise you may trip and fall...(Gonzo walks by with the 3D glasses on.) Whoa. Whoa. What are you doing?:Gonzo: I'm just showing how you could trip and fall if you walk with your glasses on.:Sam: I...I don't want to see this foolishness!:Gonzo: What kind of foolishness do you want to see? (Muppet Vision 3d intro)
*"Remember, don't tip the driver..." (Muppet Christmas Carol)
* "Ladies and Gentlemen, it is I - Sam the American Eagle. I would just like to say a few words about "nudity" in the world today. And I for one am just appalled by it. Why, did you know that underneath their clothing the entire population of the world is walking around completely naked? Is that disgusting? And it's not just people, although goodness knows that's bad enough. Animals too, even cute little doggies and pussy cats, can't be trusted. Underneath their fur - absolutely naked! And it's not just the quadrupeds either. Birds too - yes, beneath our fine feathers, birds wear nothing! Nothing at all. Abs... oh m... could someone, hand me a robe? ... Mmmhmm." -- Source: Second Muppet Show Cast Album, "Discourse on Nudity"
* "To ensure that the quality and moral content of this show is beyond reproach, I, Sam the *American* eagle am proud to present the singing duet of Wayne and Wanda. Besides being tremendous singers, they're church people" -- Source: First Muppet Show Cast Album, "Wayne and Wanda - Trees"
*"When you enter the theater, please walk to the end of the row filling in all available seats. Stopping in the middle is "distinctly" unpatriotic" (Muppet-Vision 3D Pre-Show, Walt Disney World)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The Eagle of the Sea — Infobox Film name = The Eagle of the Sea image size = caption = director = Frank Lloyd producer = B. P. Schulberg writer = Charles Tenney Jackson Julien Josephson narrator = starring = Florence Vidor Ricardo Cortez music = cinematography =… … Wikipedia
Sam (Olympic mascot) — Sam the Olympic Eagle was the mascot of the 1984 Summer Olympics which were held in Los Angeles. He was a bald eagle, which is the national bird of the United States, where the games were held. He also shares the name of Uncle Sam, another… … Wikipedia
The Muppet Christmas Carol — theatrical release poster by Drew Struzan Directed by Brian Henson … Wikipedia
The Muppets Take Manhattan — Theatrical release poster Directed by Frank Oz Produced by … Wikipedia
Sam Edwards — (May 26, 1915 July 28, 2004) was an American actor. His most famous role on TV was as the banker in the TV series Little House on the Prairie .Born into a showbusiness family, his first role was as a baby in his mother s arms. He appeared on… … Wikipedia
The Jim Henson Company — Type Private Industry Entertainment Founded New York (1958) Headquarters … Wikipedia
The Muppets Studio — The Muppets Studio, LLC Type Subsidiary Industry Film/Entertainment Founded 2004 … Wikipedia
The Ant and the Grasshopper — also known as The Grasshopper and the Ant or The Grasshopper and the Ants , is a fable attributed to Aesop, providing a moral lesson about hard work and preparation. In the numbering system established for Aesopic fables by B. E. Perry, it is nu … Wikipedia
The Muppet Show — At the Dance redirects here. For the song by Corey Hart, see First Offense. The Muppet Show Kermit the Frog as seen on the show s opening sequence. Format Live a … Wikipedia
The Muppets — This article is about the puppet characters. For the 2011 film, see The Muppets (film). The Muppets are a group of puppet characters created by Jim Henson starting in 1954–55. Although the term is often used to refer to any puppet that resembles… … Wikipedia