name = Ghostscript
caption = Ghostscript Logo
L. Peter Deutsch
August 11, 1988[cite web |url=http://ghostscript.com/doc/current/History1.htm#Version1.0 |title=History of Ghostscript versions 1.n |accessdate=2007-04-10]
latest release version = 8.63
latest release date = release date and age|2008|8|2
operating system =
PostScriptand PDF interpreter
GNU General Public License, Aladdin Free Public License
website = http://ghostscript.com/awki
Ghostscript is a suite of
softwarebased on an interpreter for Adobe Systems' PostScriptand Portable Document Format(PDF) page description languages.
Ghostscript can be used as a
raster image processor(RIP) for raster computer printers — for instance, as an input filter of line printer daemon — or as the RIP engine behind PostScript and PDF viewers.
Ghostscript can also be used as a file format converter, such as PostScript to PDF converter; this is often combined with a PostScript printer driver in "
virtual printer" PDF creators.
As it takes the form of a language interpreter, Ghostscript can also be used as a general purpose programming environment.
Ghostscript has been ported to many operating systems, including
Unix, Linux, Mac OS, OpenVMS, Microsoft Windows, OS/2and AmigaOS.
graphical user interfaces have been written for use with Ghostscript which permit a user to view a PostScript or PDF file on screen, scroll, page forward and backward, and zoom the text as well as print single or multiple pages.
* Ghostview runs under Unix/X11. Ghostview has an unusual (and arguably counter-intuitive)
user interfacefeature: dragging the mouse over the image pans the image in the opposite direction (the mouse moves the viewport over the image, rather than the image underneath the viewport). The effect is similar to having invisible scroll bars all over the image and is approximately the opposite of panning in Google Mapsand other applications.
* gv runs under Unix/X11. gv is a visually improved version of Ghostview. Its behaviour is similar to Ghostview.
* mgv runs under Unix/X11. It is a Motif based front-end to Ghostscript. It features a more conventional user interface, with regular menus, a toolbar, and scrollbars.
* GSview runs under
Microsoft Windows, OS/2, and UNIX-like operating systems. It is best known for its Windows and OS/2 versions. On UNIX it uses the GTK+toolkit.
* PDF Blender is a cross-platform application that converts and merges documents to and from postscript and pdf formats.
* Although under a public license, GSview also employs a nag screen to urge users to register so as to support the development of GSview. The registration fee is
Ghostscript was originally written by
L. Peter Deutschin 1986for the GNU Project, and released under the GNU General Public License; later, Deutsch formed Aladdin Enterprises to license Ghostscript under a proprietary license. Ghostscript is currently owned by Artifex Software and maintained byArtifex Software employees and the world-wide user community. Current version of Ghostscript is again available under GPL but can be also licensedfor use in proprietary projects for a fee.
Variants of Ghostscript
* GPL Ghostscript is the canonical variant available under the
GNU General Public License, which is a free software license. Before June 2006, the leading edge of Ghostscript development was distributed as AFPL Ghostscript (formerly named Aladdin Ghostscript) under the Aladdin Free Public License, which restricts commercial use. AFPL Ghostscript is now abandoned. [ [http://www.advogato.org/person/raph/diary.html?start=411 Advogato: Blog for raph ] ]
* GNU Ghostscript is part of the
GNU projectand is now derived from GPL Ghostscript.
* ESP Ghostscript was distributed by
Easy Software Productsunder the GPL. It was based on GPL Ghostscript and contains several modifications to improve compatibility with ESP's Common Unix Printing System. This version is no longer developed, since it was merged with GPL Ghostscript. [ [http://www.cups.org/articles.php?L484 Article #484: The Grand Unified Ghostscript Officially Released: GPL Ghostscript 8.60 - Common UNIX Printing System ] ]
* Ghostscript is the current commercial proprietary version licensed by Artifex Software for inclusion in closed-source products.
The GPL version is also used as the basis for a Display Ghostscript, which adds the functionality needed to fully support
Common Unix Printing System
PostScript Printer Description
* [http://www.ghostscript.com/awki Ghostscript community site, mailing lists, Bugzilla, CVS]
* [http://www.artifex.com/ Ghostscript licensing and commercial support]
* [http://www.sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1897 Ghostscript files on SourceForge]
* [http://www.sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3498 Ghostscript fonts on SourceForge]
* [http://www.gnu.org/software/ghostscript/ghostscript.html GNU Ghostscript]
* [http://www.cups.org/espgs/ ESP Ghostscript]
* [http://www.gyve.org/dgs/ Display Ghostscript]
* [http://www.gnustep.it/marko/GPSText/index.html Yap.app (GPLed)]
* [http://devlinux.org/deutsch-interview.html 1998 Interview with L. Peter Deutsch on history of Ghostscript project]
* [http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/ Ghostscript, Ghostview and GSview download]
* [http://www.gnu.org/software/gv/ GNU gv]
* [http://www.spaceblue.com/pdfblender/ PDF Blender Home Page]
* [http://www.fracassi.net/iw2evk/ Ghostscript for DOS ]
* [http://rghost.rubyforge.org/ RGhost] - Ruby and Ghostscript in the same project to generate documents. Supports 32 kinds of barcodes
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
GhostScript — Entwickler: Artifex Software Inc. Aktuelle Version: 8.64 (3. Februar … Deutsch Wikipedia
Ghostscript — Entwickler Artifex Software Inc. Aktuelle Version 9.04 (8. August 2011) … Deutsch Wikipedia
GhostScript — Développeur Artifex Software Inc … Wikipédia en Français
Ghostscript — Тип интерпретирование PostScript и PDF Разработчик … Википедия
Ghostscript — Desarrollador Artifex Software Ghostscript, Ghostview y … Wikipedia Español
Ghostscript — (escrito por Peter Deutsch, fundador de Aladdin Enterprises), es el programa intérprete por excelencia de documentos en formato PS (y también PDF). Ghostscript permite presentar datos PS y PDF en la pantalla y además traducirlos de manera que… … Enciclopedia Universal
Ghostscript — GPL Ghostscript Développeur Artifex Software Inc. Première version … Wikipédia en Français
GhostScript — GNU Public Domain Postscript (Interpreter, siehe http://www.desy.de/cgi bin/man cgigs) … Acronyms
GhostScript — GNU Public Domain Postscript (Interpreter, siehe http://www.desy.de/cgi bin/man cgigs) … Acronyms von A bis Z
GNU Ghostscript — Développeur Projet GNU Première version 2004 Dernière ver … Wikipédia en Français