- Chen model
In finance, the Chen model is a mathematical model describing the evolution of interest rates. It is a type of "three-factor model" (short rate model) as it describes interest rate movements as driven by three sources of market risk. It was the first stochastic mean and stochastic volatility model and it was published in 1994 by the economist Lin Chen, a Harvard doctorate, former US Fed economist and professor of Yonsei University of Korea.
The dynamics of the instantaneous interest rate are specified by the stochastic differential equations:[clarification needed]
In an authoritative review of modern finance (Continuous-Time Methods in Finance: A Review and an Assessment), Chen model is listed along with the models of Robert C. Merton, Oldrich Vasicek, John C. Cox, Stephen A. Ross, Darrell Duffie, John Hull, Robert A. Jarrow, and Emanuel Derman as a major term structure model.
Different variants of Chen model are still being used in financial institutions worldwide. James and Webber devote a section to discuss Chen model in their book; Gibson et al. devote a section to cover Chen model in their review article. Andersen et al. devote a paper to study and extend Chen model. Gallant et al. devote a paper to test Chen model and other models; Wibowo and Cai devotes their PhD dissertations to testing Chen model and other competing interest rate models.
- Lin Chen (1996). "Stochastic Mean and Stochastic Volatility — A Three-Factor Model of the Term Structure of Interest Rates and Its Application to the Pricing of Interest Rate Derivatives". Financial Markets, Institutions, and Instruments 5: 1–88.
- Lin Chen (1996). Interest Rate Dynamics, Derivatives Pricing, and Risk Management. Lecture Notes in Economics and Mathematical Systems, 435. Springer. ISBN 978-3540608141.
- Jessica James and Nick Webber (2000). Interest Rate Modelling. Wiley Finance. ISBN 0471975230.
- Rajna Gibson,François-Serge Lhabitant and Denis Talay (2001). Modeling the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A Review of the Literature. RiskLab, ETH.
- Frank J. Fabozzi and Moorad Choudhry (2007). The Handbook of European Fixed Income Securities. Wiley Finance. ISBN 0471430390.
- Sanjay K. Nawalkha, Gloria M. Soto, Natalia A. Beliaeva (2007). Dynamic Term Structure Modeling: The Fixed Income Valuation Course. Wiley Finance. ISBN 0471737143.
- Sundaresan, Suresh M. (2000). "Continuous-Time Methods in Finance: A Review and an Assessment". The Journal of Finance 55 (54): 1569–1622. doi:10.1111/0022-1082.00261.
- Andersen, T.G., L. Benzoni, and J. Lund (2004). Stochastic Volatility, Mean Drift, and Jumps in the Short-Term Interest Rate,. Working Paper, Northwestern University.
- Gallant, A.R., and G. Tauchen (1997,). Estimation of Continuous Time Models for Stock Returns and Interest Rates,. Macroeconomic Dynamics 1, 135-168..
- Cai, L. (2008). Specification Testing for Multifactor Diffusion Processes:An Empirical and Methodological Analysis of Model Stability Across Different Historical Episodes. Rutgers University. http://econweb.rutgers.edu/lcai/lili_files/JobMarketPaper.pdf.
- Wibowo A. (2006). Continuous-time identification of exponential-affine term structure models. Twente University. http://eprints.eemcs.utwente.nl.
Bond market Bond · Debenture · Fixed income Types of bonds by issuer Types of bonds by payoutAccrual bond · Auction rate security · Callable bond · Commercial paper · Convertible bond · Exchangeable bond · Extendible bond · Fixed rate bond · Floating rate note · High-yield debt · Inflation-indexed bond · Inverse floating rate note · Perpetual bond · Puttable bond · Reverse convertible · Zero-coupon bond Bond valuation Securitized products Bond options Institutions
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Chen Kuangyi — Chinese name 陳匡怡 (Traditional) Chinese name 陈匡怡 (Simplified) Pinyin Chén Kuāngyí (Mandarin) Born … Wikipedia
Chen Chung Chang — is a mathematician who works in model theory. He obtained his PhD from Berkeley in 1955 on Cardinal and Ordinal Factorization of Relation Types under Alfred Tarski. He wrote the standard text Chang Keisler (1990) on model theory. Chang s… … Wikipedia
Chen Hao — bei den Shanghai International Film Festival 2007 Chen Hao (chin. 陈好, * 9. Dezember 1979 in Qingdao, Shandong) ist eine chinesische Schauspielerin und Model. Inhaltsverzeichni … Deutsch Wikipedia
Chen Lili — (or Lili Chen，simplified Chinese: 陈莉莉; traditional Chinese: 陳莉莉; pinyin: Chén Lìlì; born February, 1980) is a transsexual singer, model, and actress from China. She became widely known in 2004 when she competed and attempted to compete in beauty… … Wikipedia
Chen Hao (actress) — Chen Hao Chen at 2007 Shanghai International Film Festival Chinese name 陳好 (Traditional) Chinese name 陈好 … Wikipedia
Chen Ning Yang — Chen Ning Yang (chinesisch … Deutsch Wikipedia
Chen Hongmou — (simplified Chinese: 陈宏谋; traditional Chinese: 陳宏謀; pinyin: Chén Hóngmóu; Wade–Giles: Ch en Hungmou, October 10, 1696 July 14, 1771), courtesy name Ruzi (汝咨) and Rongmen (榕門), was a Chinese … Wikipedia
Chen Hao — may refer to: Chen Hao (actress) (born 1979), Chinese actress and model Chen Hao (baseball) (born 1990), Chinese baseball outfielder for the Jiangsu Hopestars This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same personal name. If an … Wikipedia
Chen (surname) — For other uses, see Chen (disambiguation). Chen / Chan Family name Chén in traditional Chinese Pronunciation Chén (Mandarin) Chan (Cantonese) … Wikipedia
Model minority — Sociology … Wikipedia