- Darren Stevens (comedian)
Darren Stevens (born April 13, 1965), commonly known as The Real Darren Stevens, is a Canadian radio personality, best known for his shows as heard on 54 Rock, 106.9 The BEAR & CHEZ 106 in Ottawa and B101 in Barrie; as well as his behind the scenes programming work in Barrie, Ont. Darren Stevens is not to be confused with WMXJ radio personality Darren Stephens.
Stevens has been a writer/producer/voice of comedy segments for CBC Radio national morning shows, CJSB (Ottawa), CKQB-FM (Ottawa), CIQB-FM (Barrie) and program director for CIQB-FM, CHAY-FM (Barrie) and CKCB-FM (Collingwood).
He is a versatile performer has done everything from newspaper columnist, radio host to TV including national TV commercials for Yamaha, national voice over host for Global's A Place in the Sun, appearances on Cooking For Love, performer in music videos, and other TV including writer / performer / producer of the sketch comedy series The Real Darren Stevens Show which aired on The Comedy Network.
It was the period of 1997-2007 under the guidance of program director Darren Stevens that radio stations CIQB-FM & CHAY-FM rose to prominence. Both the stations & Stevens have been highly recognized in the radio industry.
On December 10, 2007 after 10 years off the Ottawa radio airwaves, "The Real Darren Stevens Show" returned to the weekdays 3pm - 7pm on CHEZ-FM for a brief period. His final show aired on Wednesday February 20, 2008
In a strange twist of fate, on March 29, 2008 Stevens returned 'home' to the location where he started his career CKQB-FM where he worked during the 54 Rock AM period & the FM launch of 106.9 The Bear.
- Darren has a daughter named 'Jess', who was born in Ottawa in 1991.
- In September 1990, Stevens, as a radio stunt, admitted that he suffered from a rare affliction - being a Canadian who can't skate. On air he openly 'stalked' fellow Ottawa native & Olympic champ Elizabeth Manley to teach him how to skate. Finally, after about 150 days, in January 1991, Liz put the skates on Darren & taught him how to skate.
- In 1991, Stevens had a donut named after him. 'The Real Darren Stevens Donut' was banana creme filled covered with chocolate & nuts - 'totally bananas & a little nutty!'.
- Cowboy Who? a bizarre all-ages kids show featured early TV appearances of The Real Darren Stevens as well as Samantha Bee from Comedy Central's The Daily Show. The first season is available now on DVD at Amazon.
- On February 21, 2004 Stevens created "The Monkey" a new format overnight show on CIQB-FM hosted by Choo Choo - a monkey! A parody of the various Jack/Bob radio formats at the time,The Monkey played music from the current playlist as well as novelty songs, parodies & comedy bits.
- During his tenure in Barrie, Stevens often used guest celebrity DJ's on CIQB-FM including Glass Tiger (Nov 6/04) and world figure skating champion Jennifer Robinson who made her radio-hosting debut (July 31 & Aug 7/04). On June 18, 2005 Stevens also hired Keith Hampshire to host a Saturday night 60's-70's oldies show on CHAY-FM.
Stevens was voted:
- Program Director Of The Year - Secondary Market at the 2001 Canadian Radio Music Industry Awards
- Program Director Of The Year - Secondary Market in the 2004 Canadian Music Network magazine awards
He has also been nominated for:
- PD & M.D Secondary Market at the 2006 CRMA’s.
- PD & M.D Secondary Market at the 2005 CRMA’s.
- PD, M.D, AC Station Of The Year & Station Of The Year - Secondary Mkt 2004 CRMA’s.
- PD, M.D & Station Of The Year - Secondary Market 2003 CRMA’s.
- PD & Station Of The Year - Secondary Market 2002 CRMA’s.
- Station Of The Year - Secondary Market 2001 CRMA’s.
- M.D & Station Of The Year- Secondary Market 2000 CRMA’s.
- M.D - Secondary Market 1999 CRMA’s
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Darren Stevens — may refer to: Darren Stevens (comedian) (born 1965), Canadian radio personality Darren Stevens (cricketer) (born 1976), English cricketer See also Darrin Stephens, fictional character in American TV series Bewitched This disambiguation page lists … Wikipedia
1965 — This article is about the year 1965. Millennium: 2nd millennium Centuries: 19th century – 20th century – 21st century Decades: 1930s 1940s 1950s – 1960s – 1970s … Wikipedia
List of Jewish American entertainers — This is a list of famous Jewish American entertainers. For other famous Jewish Americans, see List of Jewish Americans. ListActors*See also List of Jewish American actors in televisionOrganized by decade of birth1990s*Robin Arcuri (1991 )… … Wikipedia
List of Italian American actors — The list is currently organized chronologically, listing people by birth date periods. NOTOC 2000s 1990s 1980s 1970s 1960s 1950s 1940s 1930s 1920s 1910s 1900s 1890s 1880s1990s*Vincent Martella (1992 ) Television actor ( Everybody Hates Chris… … Wikipedia
List of people from Minnesota — This is a list of notable persons who were born or spent important time in the state of Minnesota. People not born in Minnesota are marked with §. Contents: Top · 0–9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z … Wikipedia
Nom De Scène — Un nom de scène est un pseudonyme utilisé par les acteurs, comédiens, musiciens et autres célébrités. Sommaire : Haut A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z A … Wikipédia en Français
Nom artistique — Nom de scène Un nom de scène est un pseudonyme utilisé par les acteurs, comédiens, musiciens et autres célébrités. Sommaire : Haut A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z A … Wikipédia en Français
Nom de scene — Nom de scène Un nom de scène est un pseudonyme utilisé par les acteurs, comédiens, musiciens et autres célébrités. Sommaire : Haut A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z A … Wikipédia en Français
Vrai nom — Nom de scène Un nom de scène est un pseudonyme utilisé par les acteurs, comédiens, musiciens et autres célébrités. Sommaire : Haut A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z A … Wikipédia en Français
Liste de noms de scène — Un nom de scène est un pseudonyme utilisé par les acteurs, musiciens et artistes de spectacle. Cet article présente une liste de noms de scène. Sommaire : Haut A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z … Wikipédia en Français