No. 404 Squadron RCAF


No. 404 Squadron RCAF

No. 404 Squadron is a maritime patrol and training squadron in the Canadian Forces Air Command.

History

The squadron was formed at Thorney Island in Sussex, England on 15 April 1941 under Royal Air Force operational control. Tasked with coastal patrol and attack, the squadron flew the Bristol Blenheim Mk.IV & later the Beaufighter. From May 1944 to September 1944 they were based at RAF Davidstow Moor in Cornwall, England. The squadron then disbanded on 25 May 1945.

The squadron was then reformed on April 30, 1951, at RCAF Station Greenwood as 404 Maritime Reconnaissance Squadron. On 17 July 1956, 404 Squadron was redesignated as a Maritime Patrol squadron, and when the CP-140 Aurora came into service the title was changed again to 404 Maritime Patrol and Training Squadron.

Aircraft Flown

* Bristol Blenheim
* Bristol Beaufighter
* De Havilland Mosquito
* Avro Lancaster
* Beech Expeditor
* Lockheed Neptune
* Canadair Argus
* Lockheed CP-140 Aurora

External links

* [http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/site/hist/404sqn_e.asp History of 404 Squadron at "Canada's Airforce" Homepage]


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.