- National Enrichment Facility
The National Enrichment Facility (NEF) is a plant for the enrichment of uranium. The plant uses a gas centrifuge technology known as Zippe-type centrifuges. It is located 5 miles east of Eunice, New Mexico. The NEF is operated by Louisiana Energy Services (LES) which is in turn owned by the Urenco Group. As of 2011, LES operates as URENCO USA.
NEF employs a new type of license, the 10 CFR Part 2. It is a combination license granted by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) allowing the plant to proceed directly from construction to operation. First of its kind, this means NEF will be closely watched by many parties in the nuclear community.
The original proposed budget was USD 1.5 billion, but this increased to USD 3 billion for an enlarged facility capable of 5.9 million SWU at full capacity.
Since the Dedication Ceremony in October 2008, the company has grown to 236 employees with an annual payroll of USD 23 million. At full capacity, NEF can provide 50% of the current enriched uranium demand for civilian nuclear power plants in the U.S.. The NEF commenced operations in June of 2010.
- 23 June 2006: LES was granted license to commence building the facility.
- 29 August 2006: Groundbreaking ceremony takes place at the NEF site.
- 22 October 2008: Dedication ceremony
- 15 February 2009: First shipment of Uranium hexafluoride for acceptance testing
- 10 June 2010: Received authorization to bring UF6 feed stock on-site
- 13 June 2010: First shipment of UF6 feed material arrives on-site
- 25 June 2010: Enrichment of UF6 officially begins in Cascade #1
- ^ NRC: Louisiana Energy Services (LES) Gas Centrifuge Facility
- ^ a b The LES Story Looking Forward: Innovative Energy Commercialization Opportunities, Louisiana Energy Services, April 16, 2009, http://bus.utpb.edu/media/files/sob/Jim%20Hawkins%20PPT.pdf, retrieved 2009-06-27
- ^ Commencement of operations, http://www.urenco.com/content/325/URENCO-USA-now-operational-receives-Nuclear-Regulatory-Commission-feed-stock-authorisation-.aspx
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
National Aviary — The National Aviary Date opened 1952; 1991 (went private) Location Allegheny Commons West 700 Arch Street Pittsburgh, PA, USA 15212 … Wikipedia
National Aquarium in Baltimore — National Aquarium, Baltimore The National Aquarium, Baltimore (angular building, rear right, and 2005 extension to its left) lies near historic ships in the Inner Harbor area of Baltimore, including USS Torsk and Lightship Chesapeake. Date opened … Wikipedia
National Nuclear Laboratory — The National Nuclear Laboratory (informally NNL, formerly Nexia Solutions) is a UK government owned, commercially operated nuclear services technology provider covering the whole of the nuclear fuel cycle. It is fully customer funded and operates … Wikipedia
Living Enrichment Center — entrance, Wilsonville … Wikipedia
Smithsonian National Zoological Park — The front entrance to the National Zoo Date opened 1889; 121 years ago (1889) … Wikipedia
Free-air concentration enrichment — FACE facility in the Nevada desert. Free Air Carbon dioxide Enrichment (FACE) is a method used by ecologists and plant biologists that raises the concentration of CO2 in a specified area and allows the response of plant growth to be measured.… … Wikipedia
The National Elephant Center — is a 501(c)(3) non profit conservation organization founded by a group of ten directors from zoos accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA).Once completed in 2009, The National Elephant Center will provide care to African and… … Wikipedia
Nausicaä Centre National de la Mer — Nausicaā Centre National de la Mer A group of moon jellyfish. When you enter the main aquarium, you see these first. Date opened 18 May 1991 Location Boulogne sur Mer, France Coo … Wikipedia
Jagadis Bose National Science Talent Search — The Jagadis Bose National Science Talent Search (JBNSTS) is the institute that offers the renowned JBNSTS Scholarship to under graduate students studying in West Bengal (India), considered to be the most prestigious state level scholarship… … Wikipedia
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory — Infobox Laboratory name = Ernest Orlando Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory motto = View into the future established = August 26, 1931 director = Steve Chu city = city state|Berkeley|California budget = $500 million type = Unclassified staff … Wikipedia