- USS Wasp
Ten ships of the
United States Navyhave borne the name USS "Wasp", after the stinging insect.
* was a merchant schooner originally named "Scorpion" and purchased by the Continental Navy in late 1775. In the fall of 1777, the "Wasp" was run aground, set on fire, and destroyed when its gunpowder exploded.
* was a sloop constructed in 1806 and commissioned some time in 1807. This "Wasp" operated along the coast of the U.S. . Captured during the War of 1812, the "Wasp" served briefly in the Royal Navy as HMS "Peacock" and was lost off the Virginia Capes in 1813.
* was a schooner built in 1810. She was returned to her owners in November 1812. Rearmed and refitted, she was chartered to the U.S. Navy during the summer of 1813. She is presumed sold after 1814.
* was a sloop chartered on Lake Champlain in 1813. She was returned to her owners in early 1814.
* was a ship-rigged sloop-of-war constructed in 1813 and commissioned in early 1814. The "Wasp" was apparently lost in a storm at sea in late November 1814.
*, originally the captured Confederate iron-hulled sidewheel steamer CSS "Emma Henry", was renamed "Wasp" in June 1865. In 1876 she was found unfit for further service and sold.
*, was a steam yacht commissioned at New York on April 11, 1898. From the end of 1898 the "Wasp" was used as a training ship and recruiting tool. This "Wasp" was decommissioned and sold in 1919.
*, laid down in 1936, was an aircraft carrier that saw action in World War II in the Atlantic and Pacific, until sunk by enemy action in September 1942.
* took the place of the previous "Wasp" in 1943 and served until 1972.
* is an amphibious assault ship launched in 1989 and on active service
as of 2008.
An eleventh vessel, USS|Wasp|SP-1159, a steel-hulled motorboat, was leased by the U.S. Navy and performed patrol duties in 1917, but was never entered into the
Naval Vessel Register.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
USS Wasp (CV-18) — USS Wasp (1945) Geschichte Bauwerft Fore River Shipyard Bestellung 1940 Ki … Deutsch Wikipedia
USS Wasp (CV-18) — of the United States Navy was an , while conducting night flying operations en route to Gibraltar. Hobson lost 176 of the crew, including her skipper. Rapid rescue operations saved 52 men. Wasp sustained no personnel casualties, but her bow was… … Wikipedia
USS Wasp — ist ein traditioneller Schiffsname der US amerikanischen Marine. Es gab bisher zehn Schiffe dieses Namens. USS Wasp (1775), ein Schoner, Indienststellung: 1775, zerstört: 1777 USS Wasp (1807), eine Schaluppe, Indienststellung: 1807, Übergabe an… … Deutsch Wikipedia
USS Wasp (CV-18) — USS Wasp Histoire A servi dans … Wikipédia en Français
USS Wasp — USS Wasp, ha sido el nombre utilizado por diez buques de la Armada de los Estados Unidos. El Goleta mercante llamada originalmente Scorpion adquirida por la armada continental a finales de 1775. a finales de 1777, el Wasp encalló, se incendió, y… … Wikipedia Español
USS Wasp (CV-7) — The eighth USS Wasp (CV 7) was a United States Navy aircraft carrier. She was the sole ship of her class. Built to use up the remaining tonnage allowed to the United States for aircraft carriers under the treaties of the time, she was built on a… … Wikipedia
USS Wasp (CV-7) — Die USS Wasp (1942) Geschichte Bauwerft Fore River Shipyard, Quincy (Massachusetts) Be … Deutsch Wikipedia
USS Wasp (CV-7) — Para otros buques con el mismo nombre, véase USS Wasp. USS Wasp (CV 7) El USS Wasp entrando en Hampton Roads, Virginia Bande … Wikipedia Español
USS Wasp (CV-7) — 12°24′58″S 164°8′0″E / 12.41611, 164.13333 … Wikipédia en Français
USS Wasp (CV-18) — авианосец «Уосп» (CV 18) USS Wasp (CV 18) … Википедия