- Nevada State Railroad Museum
The Nevada State Railroad Museum, located in Carson City, Nevada, preserves the railroad heritage of Nevada, including locomotives and cars of the famous Virginia and Truckee Railroad. Much of the museum equipment was obtained from Hollywood studios, where they were often featured in movies and television. The museum is operated by the Nevada Department of Cultural Affairs.
Museum activities consist of operation of historic railroad equipment, including train rides, handcar rides, lectures, an annual railroad history symposium, changing exhibits, and a variety of special events. The Museum also has an ongoing research and restoration program. The Museum's most recent event is the rebuilding of the interpitation center and posibably the HO scale model railroad operated by the Carson Model Railroaders who operate to Mills Park Railroad.
The historic station from Wabuska, Nevada was relocated to the museum grounds. The building is, in essence, still used as a working railroad station where tickets for the museum train rides are purchased.
- Nevada State Railroad Museum R.R. 4-4-0 #8 [ex-Dardenelle & Russellville RR No.8, ex-Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, ex-Virginia & Truckee No. 28, nee-Short Line Enterprises No.8; out of service, tender currently on No. 25]
- Virginia & Truckee R.R. 4-4-0 No.18 The Dayton [builder: Sacramento, California Shops of Central Pacific Railroad; static restored display, non-operable]
- Virginia & Truckee R.R. 4-4-0 No. 22 The Inyo [builder: Baldwin Locomotive Works; operable on limited special occasions]
- Virginia & Truckee R.R. 4-6-0 No.25 [builder, Baldwin; operable, currently using No. 8's tender]
- Virginia & Truckee R.R. McKeen Motor Car No.22 [builder: McKeen Motor Car Company, 1910; operational as of 05/09/2010]
- Tucson, Cornelia & Gila Bend R.R. No.401 Passenger Motor Car, [builder: Edwards Motor Car Company; operable]
- Carson & Tahoe Lumber & Fluming 2-6-0 The Glenbrook [builder: Baldwin; undergoing major restoration ]
The Nevada State Railroad Museum also operates the Nevada Southern Railroad Museum in Boulder City, Nevada.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Nevada Southern Railroad Museum — Nevada Southern Railway is a railroad museum in Boulder City, Nevada operated by the Nevada State Railroad Museum which is an agency of the Nevada Department of Cultural Affairs. The railway is operated by the Nevada State Railroad Museum and is… … Wikipedia
California State Railroad Museum — The California State Railroad Museum in Old Sacramento is a tribute to the role of the iron horse in connecting California to the rest of the nation. The museum is located at 111 I St in Sacramento. [… … Wikipedia
Nevada Northern Railway Museum — Dampfzug im Bahnhof East Ely Das Nevada Northern Railway Museum ist ein Eisenbahnmuseum im Norden Nevadas in Ely. Das Museum besteht aus dem von der White Pine Historical Railroad Foundation betriebenen Museumsbahnbetrieb sowie dem… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Nevada Northern Railway Museum — Nevada Northern Railway East Ely Yards, East Ely Depot U.S. National Register of Historic Places U.S. National Historic Landmark District … Wikipedia
Nevada Central Railroad — Locale Battle Mountain Austin, Nevada Dates of operation 1879–1938 Track gauge 3 feet (910 mm) Headquarters Austin, Nevada The Nevada Central Railroad was a narrow gauge railroad, completed in 1880 between Batt … Wikipedia
Nevada State Museum, Las Vegas — Established 1982 Director David Millman Curator Barbara Adams, Curator of Natural History; Dennis McBride, Curator of Collections History; Crystal Van Dee, Curator of Manuscripts The Nevada State Museum, located at the … Wikipedia
B&O Railroad Museum — Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Museum and Mount Clare Station U.S. National Register of Historic Places U.S. National Historic Landmark … Wikipedia
Nevada Industrial Switch — Locale Near Lake Mead, Nevada between Apex (UP Milepost 352) Pabco Gypsum Mine Dates of operation Before 1997– Track gauge 4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) (standard gauge) … Wikipedia
Nevada — Cet article concerne l État américain. Pour les autres significations, voir Nevada (homonymie). 39° N 117° W / … Wikipédia en Français
Nevada Department of Cultural Affairs — The Nevada Department of Cultural Affairs (DCA) is a governmental agency in the U.S. state of Nevada. The Department of Cultural Affairs headquarters is located in Carson City, Nevada. Division of Museums and History The Division of Museums and… … Wikipedia