- Grant Nelson
Grant Nelson Also known as Wishdokta
24 Hour Experience
Bump & Flex
Rhythm Construction Co.
Pursernel & Son
2 Can Play
The Grant Nelson Project
Ambassadors Of Swing
Dusk Til Dawn
Origin April 27, 1971
Drum & Bass
Years active 1986–present Labels Swing City Records Website grantnelson.net Notable instruments Keyboards
Grant is heralded as one of the godfathers of UK Garage due to his numerous club hits on his Nice 'n' Ripe record label in the early 90's. It was his sound along with a few others that gave birth to the then known as 'Sunday Scene' which went on to become UK garage.
He also produced under the name Wishdokta from 1990-1993 when he was making Hardcore / Drum 'n' Bass for the legendary London label Kickin Records. In 1993 Wishdokta teamed up with DJ Vibes and together they delivered some of Happy Hardcore's biggest anthems on Vibes' Asylum Music Inc & other labels including Happy Trax.
Nelson has always remained a house head since his early Nice 'n' Ripe days and continues to do so to the present with his Swing City Records label that consistently delivers top drawer house music.
Some of the artists Grant has remixed & worked with include ;
Kelis, Jodeci, Mis-Teeq, Aaliyah, James Brown, The Artful Dodger, Jamiroquai, Lutricia McNeal, Thelma Houston, Another Level, Goldie, Roy Ayers, Guy, Rosie Gaines, Juliet Roberts, Liberty X, Towa Tei, Evelyn 'Champagne' King, Bebel Gilberto, Negrocan, Beverly Knight, The Brand New Heavies, Faithless, Simply Red, Frankie Knuckles, Agnes.
Main Pseudonym's Timeline :
1993-1996 24 Hour Experience (With Simon Firmin)
1997-2003 Bump & Flex
1998-2001 N'n'G (With Norris 'da boss' Windross)
Sample Libraries & Software
Nelson has produced several sample libraries that contain musical parts and drum loops. The Studio Essentials series (Volumes 1, 2 & 3) have been extremely popular and are highly regarded amongst aspiring producers. Sample's from these libraries have featured on numerous commercial recordings.
Nelson also released his "Chordworx" software in 2009 which was another major success for him. It aids people with little or no keyboard knowledge to produce very intricate jazz style chord progressions which are much sought after in the soulful / deep house genre's of music.
Synthesizer Sound Programming
In 2000 Grant was commissioned by Korg to work on programming preset sound banks for the Electribe & MS2000 synthesizers. Although his sounds aren't credited in the operating manuals you can pick some of them out by the names he gave them that reference some of his artist names and record labels. To coincide with the release of the machines to market there was a promotional CD given away with industry music magazines and at trade fairs that included an audio demonstration by Grant of the Korg Electribe synthesizer.
Grant Nelson's Housecall (Radio Show)
In 2009 Nelson began presenting his own bi-weekly dance music radio show called Housecall on www.ssradio.com out of the UK. It is also syndicated to various radio radio stations around the world and has quickly become one of the most popular shows of its genre. The show features exclusive snippets of forthcoming music yet to be released, regular guest mixes from some of the most legendary house music dj's and plenty of features which make the show feel more like a mainstream radio programme but with real house music.
Guests to date have included : ATFC, Christian Alvarez, CJ Macintosh, DeepCitySoul, DJ Meme, Eric Kupper, Groove Assassin, Jamie Lewis, Jask, Jazztronik, Joey Negro, Kiko Navarro, Lovebirds, MK, Ralf Gum, Richard Earnshaw, Scott Wozniak, Soulmagic, Soul Purpose, Steve "Silk" Hurley & Yass.
- "Step 2 Me" - Grant Nelson feat. Jean McClain Virgin Records
- "In My Soul" - Grant Nelson Nice 'n' Ripe
- "Right Before My Eyes" - N'n'G feat. Kallaghan Heat Recordings
- "Together" - 24hr Experience Nice 'n' Ripe
- "Free / Switch" - Grant Nelson Swing City Records
- "So Special" - Grant Nelson Swing City Records
- "Liferide" - N'n'G feat Rose Windross & Creed Swing City Records
- "Long Time Coming" - Bump & Flex Urban Heat
- "Babylon (Into A Groove)" - Nu Rhythmix Swing City Records
- "Evil Surrounds Us" - Wishdokta Kickin' Records
- "Motorway Madness" - Vibes & Wishdokta Rogue Trooper
- Ethnicity Ep's 1-3 - "Grant Nelson" Swing City
- Feel The Music - "Grant Nelson" Swing City
- The Only Way - Soul City Experience (Co-produced with Brian Tappert from Soulfuric Records)
- Bodyswerve - "M-Gee" (Co-produced with Matt Schwartz from Deepest Blue) Swing City
- Black Water - "Grant Nelson feat. Cathy Battistessa" - Swing City
- Alexander O'Neil - Saturday Love Stateside
- Aaliyah - More Than Woman - Virgin
- Chanel - My Life Hed Kandi
- Negrocan - Cada Vez Swing City
- Gaelle - Give It Back Boss
- Simply Red - Stay Simply Red
- Solu Music & Kimblee - Fade Hed Kandi
- Sunkids & Chance - Rise Up Boss
- Brand New Heavies - Surrender Hed Kandi
- Gat Decor - Passion - Big Life
- Sound Of Eden - Everytime (I See Her) Positiva
- Bebel Gilberto - The River Song EMI
- Jamiroquai - Runaway Sony
- Ann Nesby - Praisin' His Name basement Boys
- Mj Cole - Wondering Why (M-Gee mix. Co-mixed with Matt Shwartz) Talkin' Loud
- Todd Edwards - Saved My Life I Records
- Liberty X - Just A Little - V2
- Heller & Farley - Ultra Flava AM:PM
- Nush - U Girls (Look So Sexy) - Blunted
- Indo - R U Sleepin' - Satellite
- Roy Ayers - Dangerous Vibes - Peppermint Jam
- Jodeci - Get On Up MCA
- GUY - Dancin' MCA
- Timmy Vegas & The Universe Band - Can't Make It Thru Another Day - Mn2s
- Agnes - Need You Now 3Beat
Unofficial Edits & Mixes
- Gill Scoot - Golden
- Jamiroquai - Too Young To Die
- Martin Solveig - Rockin' Music
- James Ingram & Michael McDonald - Yah Mo B There
- Sister Sledge - Thinking Of You
- Grant has done many more personal mixes and edits, but now restricts their distribution because of copies being bootlegged by 3rd parties.
- 1992: Post Modern Breaks Volume 1
- 1992: The Mental Eclipse M.P.
- 1991: "Evil Surrounds Us"
- 1992: "Banana Sausage"
- 1992: "M.A.D. (Massive Audio Disturbance)"
- 1992: "Whine You Bottom"
- 1993: "A New Direction"
- 1993: "Freeaneazy"
- 1993: "Reach Out / Eternal Expression"
- 1994: "Subliminal Satisfaction / River Of Dreams"
- 1994: "Hey DJ / Get High"
- 1994: "Midsummer Mist / Feel Good"
- 1994: "Sweetest Love"
- 1994: "Don't Get Carried Away"
- 1994: "Wishdokta's European Vacation"
- 1995: "No More Tears"
- 1995: "Want Your Love / Rave Is A Mystery"
- 1995: "Passion / Motorway Madness"
- 1996: "Gonna Be Alright / Giving It All I Got"
- 1991: Kaos Theory
- 1991: Champion Sound (The Best Of Kickin Volume 1)
- 1992: Techno 2 - Sheppards Revenge - The Trip Continues
- 1992: Energy Rush
- 1992: Record Review Volume XX
- 1992: Heavenly Hardcore
- 1992: Kickin Mental Detergent
- 1993: The Centuries Ascendance
- 1993: Kickin Mental Detergent Vol 2
- 1995: Techno To The Core
- 1995: Sounds Of The Detonator
- 1996: Everything Is Wrong
- 1996: Mixmag Live! Volume 2
- 1997: The History Of Mixmag Live 5
- 1998: Old Skool Breakz
- 1999: Dancemania Speed 3
- 2007: The No.1 Hardcore Album: The Oldskool Mix
- 2007: Rave Nation The Anthems
- ^ Flicks, Larry (8 August 1998). "Dance Trax". Billboard. http://books.google.com/books?id=8AkEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA29&dq=%22grant+nelson%22+dj&hl=en&ei=Qm44TbuaOY6CsQPBwsiQAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=%22grant%20nelson%22%20dj&f=false. Retrieved 20 January 2011.
- grantnelson.net Grant Nelson official website.
- Myspace.com Grant Nelson artist page on Myspace.
- Twitter Grant Nelson's Twitter account.
- Discogs Grant Nelson discography & remixography.
- Swing City Records Record label co-owned by Grant Nelson.
- Wyze.com Production company co-owned by Grant Nelson.
- Grant Nelson's Housecall Website for Grant's bi-weekly radio show "Housecall".
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.