- Braidwood, New South Wales
Infobox Australian Place | type = town
name = Braidwood
state = nsw
caption = Braidwood Courthouse built 1901
postcode = 2622
pop = 1 108
maxtemp = 19.0
mintemp = 5.5
rainfall = 718.2
stategov = Monaro
fedgov = Eden-Monaro
dist1 = 325
dir1 = S
dist2 = 91
dir2 = E
dist3 = 62
dir3 = NW
location3= Batemans Bay
Braidwood (postcode: 2622, coord|35|26|S|149|48|E|region:AU-NSW_type:city(2800)) is a town in the
Southern Tablelandsof New South Wales, Australia, in PalerangShire. At the 2006 census, Braidwood had a population of 1 108.Census 2006 AUS
id = UCL113000
name = Braidwood (Urban Centre/Locality)
quick = on
accessdate = 2008-09-22]
Braidwood is located on the Kings Highway linking
Canberrato Batemans Bayon the coast. It is about 200 kilometres south west of Sydneyand about 60 kilometres inland from the coast. It is located in a highland area near the headwaters of the Shoalhaven River.
European explorers reached the district in 1822 (Kearns, Marsh and Packer). The area was first settled by Europeans in the 1820s, and the town was surveyed in 1839. Gold was discovered in 1851, and for the next two decades the district's population grew to about 10,000.
The town was named after Dr
Thomas Braidwood Wilson. He had been a surgeon-superintendentof ships taking convictsto New South Wales and Van Diemen's Land(now known as Tasmania). He was first granted land in Van Diemen's Land in 1824, which he exchanged for land near Lake George in 1825. In addition he was given 2560 acres (10 km²) which he selected in the 'new country' on two tributaries of the Shoalhaven, Monkittee and Flood creeks. In 1833 the western end of Wilson's grant was resumed and reserved for a future village and a similar area added to the eastern end in compensation. Wilson settled in the district in late 1836 with his wife and family. He became a community leader and amongst other things contracted to build the first courthouse in 1837-38. In 1840 Wilson petitioned the government to build a road from Braidwood to Huskisson to enable faster and cheaper shipping of the wool clip to Sydney and, with Col. John Mackenzie, supplied the materials and labour for the Braidwood to Nerriga section. In 1841 Braidwood Farm had 141 residents. Wilson was sent bankrupt due to a drought in the late 1830s and the subsequent depression. He died in November 1843. His land was sold for £2,000 to John Coghill, who now owned all the land on the south, east and north of the town. However, before his death, Wilson had purchased the block immediately to the north of Braidwood. He was buried on this block, high on the hill overlooking the town.
A memorial and large pine tree mark the site of Wilson's grave, from which there are views of the town. The path to the grave is open to the public and is through a series of paddocks intersected by gateway sculptures and installations by local artists.
Braidwood was the subject of the nation's first
Royal Commissionin 1867, inquiring into the activities of police officers and managers in the district, concerning the extent to which bushrangershad been shielded and assisted by police connivance and inactivity. The Commission identified several instances of misconduct and found the superintendent of police had failed to exercise 'strict and proper control over his men.' [Report of the Commissioners, State of crime in the Braidwood District, 30 July 1867]
As a former gold-rush town, with prosperity lasting for several years, bank and hotel buildings were substantial and the surviving heritage attracts visitors. The main rural activities in the region are sheep and cattle. There are also forestry operations.
Braidwood was formerly the seat of the
Tallagandalocal government area. However, following restructuring of local government areas by the New South WalesGovernment, it is now part of the Palerangcouncil and the eastern office of the council is located in the town. The local paper is now called the "Braidwood Times".
Through much of the 20th century, Braidwood was essentially in rural recession. Amongst other consequences, very little building work was carried out, and as a result the town entered the 21st century with much of its original streetscape and architecture intact. On 30 March 2006 the town and its setting were listed on the NSW State Heritage Register, following a period of unpleasant dispute between those wishing to preserve the town's charm and those wishing to develop it.
The town has several times been used for film locations, including
Ned Kelly (1970 film), The Year My Voice Broke(1987), On our Selection(1995), and Finding Joy(2003). Local legend has it that Mick Jaggerwrote one of his major hits while on location to make Ned Kelly; but there is no agreement as to which one.
Ralph Hush Jr.
* [http://www.braidwood-c.schools.nsw.edu.au/ Braidwood Central School website]
* [http://www.braidwood-tourism.com.au/ Heritage information about various buildings in Braidwood]
* [http://www.argylecounty.com.au/towns/braidwood.html Information about Braidwood]
* [http://www.heritage.nsw.gov.au/07_subnav_02_2.cfm?itemid=5054706 NSW Heritage listing for Braidwood]
* [http://www.palerang.nsw.gov.au/ Palerang Council website]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.