- 1911 VFL season
Infobox Victorian Football League season
year = 1911
imagesize = 120px
caption = Essendon premiership star
clubs = 10
home-and-away season = 18 rounds
premiership team = Essendon
count = 3rd
minor premiers = Essendon
champion of the season =
top goal kicker =
Results and statistics for the Victorian Football League season of 1911.
In 1911, the VFL competition consisted of ten teams of 18 on-the-field players each, with no "reserves", although any of the 18 players who had left the playing field for any reason could later resume their place on the field at any time during the match.
Each team played each other twice in a home-and-away season of 18 rounds.
Once the 18 round home-and-away season had finished, the 1911 VFL "Premiers" were determined by the specific format and conventions of the amended "Argus" system".
List of Australian Football League premiersfor a complete list."
* The 1911 VFL Premiership team was Essendon.
* The VFL's leading goalkicker was
Vin Gardinerof Carlton with 47 goals.
* "The Argus" newspaper's "Player of the Year",
Bruce Slossof South Melbourne, was declared 1911 Champion of the Season.
* University took the "wooden spoon" in 1911.
* The VFL changes its laws so that direct payments (i.e., other than "reimbursement of expenses") can be made to players.
* On 20 August, the SAFL Interstate team defeats Victoria 11.11 (77) to 5.4 (34) in their Australiasian Football Carnival Match in Adelaide.
* In round 9, Fitzroy back-man
Bill Marchbank, a constable with the Victorian Police Force, was refused leave to play for Fitzroy against Richmond. He was, instead, assigned to the South Melbourne and Essendon match to patrol as a mounted policeman. Near the end of an exciting match, the home crowd roared as South Melbourne suddenly took the lead, causing his horse to rear and throw him against the iron fence. Marchbanks fractured his knee.
* In the 1911 final series, players wear numbers on their back for the first time in any VFL match played in Melbourne.
* Rogers, S. & Brown, A., "Every Game Ever Played: VFL/AFL Results 1897-1997 (Sixth Edition)", Viking Books, (Ringwood), 1998. ISBN 0-670-90809-6
* Ross, J. (ed), "100 Years of Australian Football 1897-1996: The Complete Story of the AFL, All the Big Stories, All the Great Pictures, All the Champions, Every AFL Season Reported", Viking, (Ringwood), 1996. ISBN 0-670-86814-0
* [http://stats.rleague.com/afl/seas/1911.html 1911 Season - AFL Tables]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
1910 VFL season — Infobox Victorian Football League season year = 1910 imagesize = 120px caption = Dick Lee clubs = 10 home and away season = 18 rounds premiership team = Collingwood count = 3rd minor premiers = Carlton champion of the season = Dick Lee top goal… … Wikipedia
1914 VFL season — Infobox Victorian Football League season year = 1914 imagesize = px caption = clubs = 10 home and away season = 18 rounds premiership team = Carlton count = 4th minor premiers = Carlton champion of the season = Dave McNamara top goal kicker =… … Wikipedia
1911 in Australia — Infobox Australian year year = 1911 monarch = George V governor general = William Ward, 2nd Earl of Dudley, then Thomas Denman, 3rd Baron Denman pm = Andrew Fisher population = 4,489,545 australian = elections = Victoria, WA See also: 1910 in… … Wikipedia
1911 in sports — yearbox in?=in sports cp=19th century c=20th century cf=21st century yp1=1908 yp2=1909 yp3=1910 year=1911 ya1=1912 ya2=1913 ya3=1914 dp3=1880s dp2=1890s dp1=1900s d=1910s da=0 dn1=1920s dn2=1930s dn3=1940s|Auto racing*January 21 The first Monte… … Wikipedia
VfL Bochum — Football club infobox clubname = VfL Bochum fullname = Verein für Leibesübungen Bochum 1848 Fußballgemeinschaft e.V. nickname = Die Unabsteigbaren ( The Unrelegables , only prior to 1994) founded = 1848 ground = rewirpowerSTADION capacity =… … Wikipedia
VfL Kirchheim/Teck — Football club infobox clubname = VfL Kirchheim/Teck fullname = Verein für LeibesübungenKirchheim/Teck e.V. nickname = Die Zecken founded = July 6, 1881 ground = Stadion an der Jesinger Allee capacity = 10,000 chairman = Doris Imrich manager =… … Wikipedia
Early VFL Final systems — The perceived need for a structured final system was, perhaps, the most important single reason that eight senior clubs broke away from the Victorian Football Association (VFA) in 1896, and formed the Victorian Football League (VFL) in 1897.The… … Wikipedia
Collingwood Football Club (VFL) — This article is about the Collingwood Football Club reserve team which participates in the Victorian Football League. For full information and history about the parent club and its AFL team, see Collingwood Football Club. Collingwood Names Full… … Wikipedia
2010 Melbourne Football Club season — Melbourne Football Club 2010 season Melbourne s guernsey for the 2010 season President Jim Stynes Coach … Wikipedia
2006 Collingwood Football Club season — Collingwood Football Club 2006 season Collingwood s guernsey for the 2006 season President Eddie McGuire Coach … Wikipedia