- 1910 VFL season
Infobox Victorian Football League season
year = 1910
imagesize = 120px
caption = Dick Lee
clubs = 10
home-and-away season = 18 rounds
premiership team = Collingwood
count = 3rd
minor premiers = Carlton
champion of the season = Dick Lee
top goal kicker = Dick Lee (45)
Results and statistics for the Victorian Football League season of 1910.
In 1910, the VFL competition was comprised of ten teams of 18 on-the-field players each, with no "reserves", although any of the 18 players who had left the playing field for any reason could later resume their place on the field at any time during the match.
Each team played each other twice in a home-and-away season of 18 rounds.
Once the 18 round home-and-away season had finished, the 1910 VFL "Premiers" were determined by the specific format and conventions of the amended "Argus" system".
List of Australian Football League premiersfor a complete list."
* The 1910 VFL Premiership team was Collingwood.
* The VFL's leading goalkicker was Dick Lee of Collingwood with 58 goals.
* "The Argus" newspaper's "Player of the Year", Dick Lee of Collingwood, was declared 1910 Champion of the Season.
* St Kilda, took the "wooden spoon" in 1910.
* T.W Sherrin manufactures special footballs for the Premiership Finals.
* In the last quarter of the round 4 match between Carlton and South Melbourne, Carlton's
George Toppingking-hit South Melbourne's Bert Streckfuss behind the play, causing spectators to jump the fence and particapate in an all-in melee. Topping was suspended for the remainder of 1910 and all of 1911 as a result of the incident.
* Field umpire A. Noseda awards 100 free kicks in a single match (round 8 match between South Melbourne and St Kilda).
* VFL conducts an inquiry into allegations that particular players from Carlton, Fitzroy, Melbourne, and South Melbourne had been paid to play "dead". In particular, Carlton's
Doug Gillespie, Alex "Bongo" Lang, and Doug Fraserwere investigated (the inquiry dealt with Lang and Fraser behind closed doors). Gillespie was exonerated, while Lang and Fraser were each suspended for five years.
* Carlton player/Secretary Arthur Charles "Shooter" Ford was charged with abusing and physically threatening the field umpire (off the field) after Carlton's round 14 match against Fitzroy. Ford was suspended for 12 months and was debarred from his role as Club Secretary. There was speculation that the issue between the two was connected with the suspension of
George Toppingearlier in the season.
* Rogers, S. & Brown, A., "Every Game Ever Played: VFL/AFL Results 1897-1997 (Sixth Edition)", Viking Books, (Ringwood), 1998. ISBN 0-670-90809-6
* Ross, J. (ed), "100 Years of Australian Football 1897-1996: The Complete Story of the AFL, All the Big Stories, All the Great Pictures, All the Champions, Every AFL Season Reported", Viking, (Ringwood), 1996. ISBN 0-670-86814-0
* [http://stats.rleague.com/afl/seas/1910.html 1910 Season - AFL Tables]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
VfL 06 Benrath — Football club infobox clubname = VfL Benrath fullname = Verein für Leibesübungen Benrath 1906 e.V. nickname = founded = 1906 ground = Münchner Straße capacity = 15,000 chairman = manager = league = Kreisliga A Gruppe 2, Kreis Düsseldorf season =… … Wikipedia
VfL Osnabrück — Football club infobox clubname = VfL Osnabrück fullname = Verein für Leibesübungen von 1899 e.V. Osnabrück nickname = The Violets founded = 1899 ground = Osnatel Arena (formerly Bremer Brücke) capacity = 18,415 chairman = flagicon|Germany Dr.… … Wikipedia
VfL Halle 1896 — Football club infobox clubname = VfL Halle fullname = Verein für Leibesübungen Halle 1896 e.V. nickname = founded = July 16, 1896 ground = Stadion am Zoo capacity = 6,000 chairman = flagicon|Germany Volker Flemming manager = flagicon|Germany… … Wikipedia
1910 in sports — yearbox in?=in sports cp=19th century c=20th century cf=21st century yp1=1907 yp2=1908 yp3=1909 year=1910 ya1=1911 ya2=1912 ya3=1913 dp3=1880s dp2=1890s dp1=1900s d=1910s da=0 dn1=1920s dn2=1930s dn3=1940s|Baseball*World Series Philadelphia… … Wikipedia
Early VFL Final systems — The perceived need for a structured final system was, perhaps, the most important single reason that eight senior clubs broke away from the Victorian Football Association (VFA) in 1896, and formed the Victorian Football League (VFL) in 1897.The… … Wikipedia
Collingwood Football Club (VFL) — This article is about the Collingwood Football Club reserve team which participates in the Victorian Football League. For full information and history about the parent club and its AFL team, see Collingwood Football Club. Collingwood Names Full… … Wikipedia
2010 Melbourne Football Club season — Melbourne Football Club 2010 season Melbourne s guernsey for the 2010 season President Jim Stynes Coach … Wikipedia
2006 Collingwood Football Club season — Collingwood Football Club 2006 season Collingwood s guernsey for the 2006 season President Eddie McGuire Coach … Wikipedia
Doug Gillespie — Personal information Full name Doug Gillespie Date of birth … Wikipedia
Doug Fraser (Australian footballer) — Doug Fraser Personal information Full name Douglas Stewart Fraser Date of birth … Wikipedia