- Makemake (mythology)
Makemake (also written as Make-make or MakeMake; pronounced [ˈmakeˈmake] in Rapanui) in the Rapa Nui mythology of Easter Island, was the creator of humanity, the god of fertility and the chief god of the "Tangata manu" or bird-man cult (this cult succeeded the island's more famous Moai era).
He is a frequent subject of the island's Petroglyphs.
The trans-Neptunian dwarf planet, originally designated 2005 FY9, is named Makemake in an allusion to the shared connection of the dwarf planet and Easter Island with Easter. (The dwarf planet was discovered shortly after Easter 2005; the first European contact with Easter Island was on Easter Sunday 1722.)  Because of this, the planet's name was changed from 136472 to Easterbunny. It was then decided that, since the planet was discovered on Easter, to name it after Easter Island mythology over Roman Mythology, and thus the name Makemake was chosen.
- ^ Robert D. Craig (2004). Handbook of Polynesian Mythology. ABC-CLIO. p. 63. ISBN 9781576078945. http://books.google.com/?id=LOZuirJWXvUC&pg=PA63&dq=makemake
- ^ Blue, Jennifer (July 14, 2008). "(136472) 2005 FY9 Named Makemake". http://astrogeology.usgs.gov/HotTopics/index.php?/archives/337-136472-2005-FY9-Named-Makemake.html. Retrieved 2008-07-15.
- ^ Mike Brown (2008). "Mike Brown's Planets: What's in a name? [part 2"]. CalTech. http://www.mikebrownsplanets.com/2008/07/whats-in-name-part-2.html. Retrieved 2008-07-14.
- Alfred Métraux.  1971. Ethnology of Easter Island. Bernice P. Bishop Museum Bulletin 160. Honolulu: Bishop Museum Press.
- Katherine Routledge The Mystery of Easter Island 1919 ISBN 0-9328 1 3-48-8
- VAN TILBURG, Jo Anne. 1994. Easter Island: Archaeology, Ecology and Culture. Washington D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Makemake — may refer to: Makemake (mythology), the creator of humanity in the mythology of Easter Island Makemake (dwarf planet), a dwarf planet in the Kuiper belt Make Make , a song by Mike Oldfield from Heaven s Open This disambiguation page lists… … Wikipedia
Makemake (Mythologie) — Makemake mit zwei Vogelmännern (Tangata Manu) in rotes Vulkangestein geritzt Petroglyphen auf Felsen auf … Deutsch Wikipedia
Makemake (dwarf planet) — Makemake Makemake as seen by the Hubble Space Telescope Discovery Discovered by … Wikipedia
Makemake — noun /ˈmɑ.keˈmɑ.ke/ a) The creator deity in the mythology of Easter Island. b) A dwarf planet and large Kuiper Belt Object, discovered in 2005 … Wiktionary
Planet — This article is about the astronomical object. For other uses, see Planet (disambiguation) … Wikipedia
Eris (dwarf planet) — Eris Eris (centre) and Dysnomia (left of centre). Hubble Space Telescope … Wikipedia
Easter Island — For the album by Kris Kristofferson, see Easter Island (album). Rapa Nui redirects here. For other uses, see Rapa Nui (disambiguation). Coordinates: 27°7′S 109°22′W / … Wikipedia
Pluto — This article is about the dwarf planet. For other uses, see Pluto (disambiguation). Pluto … Wikipedia
Haumea (dwarf planet) — Infobox Planet bgcolour = #FFFFC0 name = Haumea caption = Artist s conception of Haumea, with its moons, Hiokinaiaka and Namaka discovery = yes discoverer= Brown et al. ; Ortiz et al. (neither official) discovered=2004 December 28 (Brown et al.… … Wikipedia
Planets beyond Neptune — Planet X redirects here. For the Planet X doomsday scenario, see Nibiru collision. For other uses, see Planet X (disambiguation). Trans Neptunian planets redirects here. For dwarf planets and small bodies discovered beyond Neptune, see Trans… … Wikipedia