- St. Mary's Convent High School, Mapusa, Goa
name = St. Mary's Convent High School
imagesize = 100
motto = Motto
established = 1948
type = Private
affiliation = CBSE
grades = Class 1 - 12
principal = ???
head of school =
faculty = ???
students = ???
campus type = ???
campus size = convert|1|acre|m2|sing=on
country = IND
St. Mary's Convent High School is the most prominent school for girls in the North Goa town of Mapusa.
It was set up in 1948, in the then Portuguese colony of Goa, when formal schooling for women hardly went beyond a woman signing her name. It was launched by the
Apostolic CarmelCongregation of Mangalore.
On January 1, 1948, two nuns -- Mother Mercedes, who later on became the first Superior of St Mary's -- and Sr Augsta, were sent from Mangalore to Margao. They met up with two other members of the Congregation, Sr Nympha and Sr Ephigenia. The four went to Mapusa, and were founders of the school, which shortly completes six decades of existence (in 2008).
Facing a lack of water, very little money, and hard times, they were housed in the building where the kinder garten section long later operated.
This school was started in January 1948. Some 130 girls were taken over from the nearby
Jesuitschool currently called St Britto. By June 1948, the student number rose to 187. The first inspection took place in October of that year, though the school was not yet officially recognised.
Later, the school was given a playground free of charge. They were able to convert a shed near the school into its only closet.
In 1950, the school opened a boarding house with six boarders. Later, they managed to get a separate boarding house for them. In July, there was a visit from the Director of Education from
Portugal. According to available school records, he was very impressed with the work they were doing. On August 28, 1950, the school was recognised. In 1952, the convent sent up its first batch of 14 students for the Matriculation examination.
More students, Lyceum building
By 1959, the nuns had a chance to extend their education to more girls. In 1963, they were able to move into the Lyceum building.
Following the end of Portuguese rule in Goa, Mapusa developed into a centre for the surrounding areas. Public transport improved. Many more students joined the school.
Land near the convent
Soon help came in the form of land next to the convent, which was by now built some distance from the school. This was a gift from the family of Sisters Carmela AC and Rosanne AC.
Plans for the new school were drawn up, but the estimate was about Rs 48,00,000, a sum which seemed remote to raise. But in the space of two years, a huge structure came up near the convent, soon after Sr Marcilla took over as principal in 1989 and Sr Thelma was superiod. In two-and-half years, the high school moved into the new building. Compared to the limited school of the previous building, this one had much space for classrooms, a huge library, a lab for all three science streams, and even a prayer room.
* [http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stmarysgirlsmapusa/ St Mary's alumni network]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Mapusa — town A street in Mapusa … Wikipedia
Mapusa — Mapuça Une rue de Mapusa Administration Pays Inde … Wikipédia en Français
St. Britto's, Goa — St. Britto is a prominent school run from Mapusa, in north Goa, on the west coast of India about 10 km from the beaches of Anjuna and Calangute. It was started in 1946, and is run by the Society of Jesus (Jesuits). History of the schoolAccording… … Wikipedia
List of schools in India — Will list schools in India grouped by state. National Chains * [http://www.shemford.com Shemford Schools] * [Delhi Public Schools] Haryana * Gurgaon * Ghaziabad * Rewari * Rohtak * Faridabad * Delhi Public School, Pinjore Jharkhand *… … Wikipedia
Saligao — Infobox Indian Jurisdiction native name = Saligao | type = city | latd = 15.55| longd = 73.77 state name = Goa district = North Goa leader title = leader name = altitude = 9 population as of = 2001 population total = 5553| population density =… … Wikipedia