The adjective Mayan is sometimes used to refer to the indigenous peoples of southeastern Mexico and parts of Central America, such as Guatemala; their culture, language, and history. More formally, the use of "Mayan" is restricted to referring to an aspect of their languages; "Maya" is the adjectival form preferred when referring to non-linguistic aspects.
Mayan may also refer to:
- Maya civilization - dealing with the historical pre-Columbian Maya civilization, culture, history and archaeology
- Maya architecture
- Maya religion - the religious practices of the Maya civilization
- Maya mythology - the myths and legends of the Maya civilization
- Maya peoples - collective designation for the various indigenous peoples of the region, sharing cultural and linguistic heritage
- Maya society - social constructs and practices of the Maya civilization
- Mayan languages - a language family of related languages traditionally spoken by the Maya peoples
- Yucatec Maya language - a specific Mayan language, often referred to simply as 'Mayan' (or Maya)
- Maya script - the writing system in use by the pre-Columbian Maya civilization
- Maayan - an Israeli poems and art magazine.
- Maians – a fictional alien race in the video game, Perfect Dark
- Mayan Records maybe the name of a record company, which is an imprint of Sanctuary Records
- Mayan (Iran) - a village near Tabriz, Iran
- Mamuni Mayan - Dravidian culture hero
- Mayan stage - a Cambrian Faunal stage that occurred during the end of the Middle Cambrian.
- Mayans, a fictional biker gang in the TV series Sons of Anarchy
- MaYaN, a Dutch symphonic metal band
This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
MaYan — Жанры симфоник дэт метал Годы 2010 настоящее время Страна … Википедия
Mayan — ist: eine Bezeichnung für die Maya Sprachen; die Gemeinde Mayan (马延乡) der chinesischen Stadt Shangzhi, siehe Mayan. Diese Seite ist eine Begriffsklärung zur Unterscheidung mehrerer mit demselben Wort bezeichneter Begriffe … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mayan — [mä′yən, mī′ən] adj. 1. designating or of an American Indian language family of Central America, consisting of about 25 languages, including Maya, Huastec, and Yucatec 2. MAYA1 (adj. ) n. 1. a member of any of the Indian peoples that speak a… … English World dictionary
Mayan — Ma yan (m[aum] yan), a. 1. Designating, or pertaining to, an American Indian linguistic stock occupying the Mexican States of Veracruz, Chiapas, Tabasco, Campeche, and Yucatan, together with a part of Guatemala and a part of El Salvador. See 2nd… … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
Mayan — noun Date: 1900 1. a member of the peoples speaking Mayan languages 2. an extensive language family of Central America and Mexico • Mayan adjective … New Collegiate Dictionary
Mayan — /mah yeuhn/, adj. 1. of or pertaining to the Maya, their culture, or their languages. n. 2. a member of the Mayan tribe. 3. a group of languages spoken by the Mayas in southern Mexico, Guatemala, and Belize, including Yucatec, Quiché, and Huastec … Universalium
Mayan — 1. adjective Of, or relating to the Maya people of Central America. 2. noun a) A Maya b) A Mayan language … Wiktionary
Mayan — maÉªÉ™n n. member of the Mayan people of southern Mexico and Guatemala, Maya … English contemporary dictionary
Mayan — [ mʌɪ(j)ən, meɪ(j)ən] noun a large family of American Indian languages spoken in Mexico and central America. adjective 1》 relating to Mayan. 2》 relating to the Maya people … English new terms dictionary
Mayan — Ma•yan [[t]ˈmɑ yən[/t]] adj. 1) peo of or pertaining to the Maya, their culture, or their languages 2) peo a family of languages spoken by Mayan peoples, including Yucatec, Mam, and Quiché 3) Maya • Etymology: 1885–90 … From formal English to slang