- The Fifth Form at St. Dominic's
name = The Fifth Form at St. Dominic's
image_caption = Cover of the First Edition (1887)
Talbot Baines Reed
language = English
Religious Tract Society, London
release_date = 1887
media_type = Print (Hardback)
isbn = NA
"The Fifth Form at St. Dominic's" (published 1887) is the best known of the school stories of late 19th century author
Talbot Baines Reed. The stories as well as the book were written for the " Boy's Own Paper" and published by the Religious Tract Society, with illustrations by Gordon Browne.
Reed himself had no experience of a public school education; consequently, the book lacked some of the realism of other comparable books like "
Tom Brown's Schooldays" and " Eric, or, Little by Little".
However, the book was written with great enthusiasm and it started a tradition of
boarding school storiesin British juvenile fiction that lasted until the end of World War II.
* Carpenter, Humphrey and Mari Prichard. "Oxford Companion to Children's Literature". Oxford University Press, 1997. ISBN 0198602286
* Zipes, Jack (ed) et al. "The Norton Anthology of Children's Literature: The Traditions in English." W. W. Norton, 2005. ISBN 0393327760
* Zipes, Jack (ed.). "The Oxford Encyclopedia of Children's Literature. Volumes 1-4". Oxford University Press, 2006. ISBN 0195146565
* Watson, Victor, "The Cambridge Guide to Children's Books in English". Cambridge University Press, 2001. ISBN 0521550645
* [http://www.athelstane.co.uk/bainreed/dominics/dmncs01.htm E-text of "The Fifth Form at St. Dominic's"]
* [http://www.bl.uk/collections/britirish/chilintro.html British Library: Children's Literature]
* Search publishing histories: [http://copac.ac.uk/ Copac: Academic & National Library Catalogue] at the University of Manchester.
* Another website: [http://catalogue.bl.uk/F/?func=file&file_name=login-bl-list British Library: Integrated Catalogue] .
* Search: [http://catalog.loc.gov/ Library of Congress Online Catalog]
* Search: [http://www.loc.gov/coll/nucmc/ National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Tertiary to Quintessential Phases — The Tertiary Phase , Quandary Phase and Quintessential Phase are radio adaptations of the books Life, the Universe and Everything , So Long, and Thanks For All the Fish and Mostly Harmless recorded in 2003 and 2004 by Above the Title Productions… … Wikipedia
The Secret of Monkey Island — Steve Purcell s cover art depicts the pr … Wikipedia
The Company (Prison Break) — The Company is a fictional covert organization featured in the American television drama/thriller series Prison Break. It is a secret group of multinationals known almost exclusively by those who work for them (with the exception of those… … Wikipedia
The Tomorrow People — is a children s science fiction television series, devised by Roger Price which first ran between 1973 and 1979. The show was re imagined between 1992 and 1995, this time with Roger Price as executive producer. A third incarnation that ran… … Wikipedia
The Religion of Russia — The Religion of Russia † Catholic Encyclopedia ► The Religion of Russia A. The Origin of Russian Christianity There are two theories in regard to the early Christianity of Russia; according to one of them, Russia was Catholic from … Catholic encyclopedia
The Wire — infobox television bgcolour = #feee8e show name = The Wire caption = The Wire promotional art format = Crime Drama camera = Single camera picture format = 480i SDTV audio format = Dolby Digital 5.1 runtime = approx. 55 min. creator = David Simon… … Wikipedia
The Sopranos — This article is about the television series. For the pilot episode of the series, see The Sopranos (episode). For the novel unrelated to the series, see The Sopranos (novel). The Sopranos Genre Drama … Wikipedia
The Beatles — This article is about the band. For other uses, see The Beatles (disambiguation). Fab Four redirects here. For other uses, see Fab Four (disambiguation) … Wikipedia
The Great Global Warming Swindle — infobox television caption = DVD cover show name = The Great Global Warming Swindle format = Documentary runtime = 75 mins creator = Martin Durkin country = United Kingdom network = Channel 4, 8 March, 2007 Original run = March 8 2007 website =… … Wikipedia
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (radio series) — Infobox Radio Show show name = The Hitchhiker s Guide to the Galaxy imagesize = 210px caption = The cover of the booklet included with the Collector s Edition CD set release of the first two Hitchhiker s radio series. format = Comic science… … Wikipedia