- Love means never having to say you're sorry
"Love means never having to say you're sorry" Actor Ali MacGraw Created by Erich Segal First used in Love Story Voted #13 in AFI's 100 Movie Quotes poll
"Love means never having to say you're sorry" is a line from the novel and 1970 film Love Story starring Ali MacGraw and Ryan O'Neal. The quotation appears twice in the film: once around the middle when MacGraw's character Jennifer Cavilleri says it, and again as the last line in the film, repeated by O'Neal's character Oliver Barrett IV as a tribute to Jennifer. The line was actually misspoken from the script, which read "Love means not ever having to say you're sorry."
The quotation is parodied:
- towards the end of the 1972 screwball comedy What's Up, Doc?, which also stars Ryan O'Neal. Barbra Streisand's character coos that "Love means never having to say you're sorry" while batting her eyelashes, and O'Neal's character responds, deadpan, "That's the dumbest thing I ever heard."
- in The Simpsons episode "Catch 'Em if You Can", where the Simpson family watches Love Story; when the line is spoken, Lisa objects, "No it doesn't!"
- in an episode of Rugrats, and spoken by Angelica Pickles: "Being bad means never having to say you're sorry."
- in Warren Ellis's comic Doktor Sleepless, the Doktor says, "Hate means never having to say you're sorry."
- in issue #55 of Marvel Comics Micronauts series, when the liberated Prisonworld inmates ask what it is to be free, one of the answers given by the Micronaut Bug is "Freedom is never having to say you're sorry."
- in Page 59 of the webcomic Looking For Group, when Richard says "Killing means never having to say you're sorry." 
In other media
- In Season 3 of the Showtime series Weeds, the drug dealer 'U-Turn' says "Thug means never having to say you're sorry," after Nancy apologizes for breaking something of Heylia and Conrad's.
- In Season 1 of Everybody Hates Chris when Chris Rock is narrating, he says, "My parents made me realize love is never having to say 'kiss my ass'".
- In the Tom Clancy novel Without Remorse, Admiral Maxwell's F-4 Phantom's inlet plate is painted with 2 Communist stars and the words "Sidewinder means not having to say you're sorry", a reference to the then non-BVR capabilities of the AIM-9B Sidewinder.
- In a Cobra Starship song "Being from Jersey Means Never Having To Say You're Sorry," they reference the quotation.
- In the fifth scene of the play Fat Pig, by Neil LaBute, the lead male character Tom jokes with the character Helen, saying "...Love isn't simple. It's...never having to say you're sorry."
- In an episode of The Red Green Show, one of Winston Rothschild's slogans for his sewage and septic-sucking business is "Love means never having to see your sewage."
- In the episode "The Hurt Locket" from season 3 of Gossip Girl Blair Waldorf says " leaving town means never having to say you're sorry"
- Sounds of Sunshine had a Top 40 hit in the United States with a song titled "Love Means You Never Have to Say You're Sorry" in 1971.
- "Love means never having to say you're" is the opening sentence in the popular song "Can't Help But Love You" by The Whispers, from the album Love Story issued in 1972.
- In the 1995 film Now and Then, when Teeny is sitting on her roof watching Love Story playing at the drive-in.
- In the song Thirsty Dog, Nick Cave says, "love's always having to say you're sorry."
- In the episode "Kill Bob" from season 2 of Human Target Christopher Chance says "love is never having to say you're sorry, even after you shoot somebody in the chest."
- Also in the web-opera A Very Potter Sequel, when Sirius Black told Ron Weasley "you'll never said a girl you're sorry and you'll never said a girl your feelings, it makes you look like an idiot."
- "Ali MacGraw's Definition of Love (Love Story Reunion Show)". Oprah Winfrey Show. October 11, 2010. http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Ali-MacGraws-Definition-of-Love-Video/topic/oprahshow.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Love Story (1970 film) — Love Story Theatrical release poster Directed by Arthur Hiller Produced by … Wikipedia
Love Story (film, 1970) — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Love Story. Love Story est un film américain réalisé par Arthur Hiller et sorti en 1970. Sommaire 1 Synopsis 2 Commentaires … Wikipédia en Français
love — I (New American Roget s College Thesaurus) Strong affection Nouns 1. love, fondness, liking; inclination, desire; regard, admiration, affection, tenderness, heart, attachment, yearning; gallantry; passion, flame, devotion, infatuation, adoration; … English dictionary for students
say — say1 W1S1 [seı] v past tense and past participle said [sed] third person singular says [sez] ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ 1¦(express something in words)¦ 2¦(give information)¦ 3¦(mean)¦ 4¦(think that something is true)¦ 5¦(show/be a sign of something)¦ 6¦(speak the… … Dictionary of contemporary English
You Could Drive a Person Crazy — Infobox Television episode Title = You Could Drive a Person Crazy Series = Desperate Housewives Caption = Lynette angered over Tom s laziness. Season = 2 (2005 2006) Episode = 2 Airdate = October 2, 2005 Production = 202 Writer = Chris Black and… … Wikipedia
I Love Money (season 1) — I Love Money Cast of I Love Money Format Reality Created by Cris Abrego Mark Cronin … Wikipedia
Tagline — A tagline is a variant of a branding slogan typically used in marketing materials and advertising. The idea behind the concept is to create a memorable phrase that will sum up the tone and premise of a brand or product (like a film), or to… … Wikipedia
A Very Natural Thing — Infobox Film | name = A Very Natural Thing caption = director = Christopher Larkin producer = Christopher Larkin writer = Joseph Coencas Christopher Larkin starring = Robert McLane Curt Gareth Bo White Anthony McKay Marilyn Meyers music = Gordon… … Wikipedia
AFI's 100 Years...100 Movie Quotes — AFI 100 Years... series 100 Movies (1998) 100 Stars (1999) 100 La … Wikipedia
American Film Institute — Logo des American Film Institute Das American Film Institute (AFI) ist eine unabhängige und gemeinnützige US amerikanische Organisation, die 1965 vom National Endowment for the Arts ins Leben gerufen wurde, um „die Fortentwicklung der filmischen… … Deutsch Wikipedia