- Civil unions in Uruguay
Legal recognition of
Marriage Performed in some jurisdictions Recognized, not performed Civil unions and
Performed in some jurisdictions Unregistered cohabitation Recognized in some jurisdictions See also LGBT portal
The bill for legalization, proposed by Senator Margarita Percovich of the Broad Front, was passed in Chamber of Deputies on 29 November 2007 after having been passed in a similar form in the Senate in 2006. The bill was passed by both chambers in the same form on December 19 and signed into law by president Tabaré Vázquez on December 27. It came into effect on 1 January 2008.
Following the approval of a bill both same-sex and opposite-sex couples are allowed to enter into a civil union (unión concubinaria) after they live together for at least five years, and will be entitled to most of the benefits that married couples are afforded, including social security entitlements, inheritance rights and joint ownership of goods and property.
A government-backed bill allowing same-sex couples to adopt children was discussed in the national parliament in the spring of 2008. The bill has been approved by both the Senate and the House of Deputies. Thus, same-sex couples can jointly adopt in Uruguay, a first for South America.
On May 25, 2009 Senator Percovich said if Broad Front won the national elections in October 2009 it would introduce a same-sex marriage bill. In October the Broad Front won an absolute majority in both chambers and José Mujica, the Broad Front presidential candidate, won the presidential election on November 29, 2009. In July 2010 legislators of the ruling party Broad Front announced they're planning to submit the bill that would allow same-sex marriage. On July 25, 2010, former president Julio María Sanguinetti of the Colorado Party declared his support for legalization of same-sex marriage. Other former president and incumbent senator Luis Alberto Lacalle of the National Party said that he is opposed.
In April 2011, Sebastián Sabini, a legislator of the Movement of Popular Participation, one of the parties consisting the Broad Front, presented the bill allowing same-sex couples to marry. The bill was formally submitted to the parliament on September 6, 2011.
- ^ (Spanish) Ley Nş 18.246 UNIÓN CONCUBINARIA
- ^ Legal recognition for gay couples in Uruguay
- ^ (German) Uruguay will Homo-Ehe einführen
- ^ Uruguay set to legalize gay civil unions
- ^ Uruguay to Legalize Same-Sex Civil Unions
- ^ Uruguay approves gay civil unions
- ^ Uruguay becomes latest country to legalise civil unions
- ^ Uruguay's President grants legal rights for gay couples
- ^ Uruguayan president signs law legalizing civil unions for gay couples
- ^ Uruguay approves gay civil unions
- ^ (Spanish) Preguntas frecuentes sobre Unión Concubinaria
- ^ Bill to legalise gay adoption moves forward in Uruguay
- ^ Uruguay nears same-sex adoption law
- ^ Uruguay allows same sex adoption
- ^ Uruguay allows same-sex adoption
- ^ Uruguay will allow gay adoption, a first for Latin America
- ^ Uruguayan Socialists Prepare "Homosexual Marriage" Legislation
- ^ (Spanish) Ahora Uruguay va por el matrimonio gay
- ^ (Spanish) Frente promoverá ley para habilitar el matrimonio gay
- ^ (Spanish) Socialistas quieren debate sobre matrimonio gay
- ^ Argentine Neighbors Uruguay, Paraguay To Debate Gay Marriage
- ^ (Spanish) Matrimonio gay en Uruguay ¿sí o no?
- ^ (Spanish) Ex presidentes de Uruguay disienten sobre el matrimonio gay
- ^ Uruguay: Parliament considers bill to allow gay marriage
- ^ (Spanish) Uruguay: el Frente Amplio impulsa el matrimonio igualitario
- ^ (Spanish) Uruguay podría aprobar el matrimonio gay
- ^ (Spanish) Asuntos del Parlamento
Recognition of same-sex unions in South America Sovereign states Dependencies and
- Falkland Islands
- French Guiana
- South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Civil unions in Quebec — Same sex marriage in Canada Legal Civil Marriage Act Reference re Same Sex Marriage … Wikipedia
Civil union — Legal recognition of same sex relationships Marriage Argentina Belgium Canada Iceland Netherlands Norway Portugal South Africa Spain Sweden … Wikipedia
Civil Partnership Act Schedule 20 — Schedule 20 of the Civil Partnership Act 2004 is a section of the British Civil Partnership Act recognising certain overseas unions as equivalent to civil partnerships under British law. Same sex couples who have entered into those unions are… … Wikipedia
Unions civiles — Union civile Une union civile est une forme d union légale destinée à encadrer la vie commune de deux personnes. Dans certains pays comme la France, le mariage civil est une forme d union civile, le mariage religieux n étant pas reconnu par l… … Wikipédia en Français
Uruguay — For other uses, see Uruguay (disambiguation). Oriental Republic of Uruguay República Oriental del Uruguay … Wikipedia
Civil union in the United States — Legal recognition of same sex relationships Marriage Argentina Belgium Canada Iceland Netherlands Norway Portugal South Africa Spain Sweden … Wikipedia
Civil union in New Zealand — Legal recognition of same sex relationships Marriage Argentina Belgium Canada Iceland Netherlands Norway Portugal South Africa Spain Sweden … Wikipedia
Civil Union — Gleichgeschlechtliche Partnerschaften weltweit Erlaubt / toleriert: ██ Gleichgeschlechtliche Ehe ██ Eingetragene Partn … Deutsch Wikipedia
Civil partnership in the United Kingdom — Legal recognition of same sex relationships Marriage Argentina Belgium Canada Iceland Netherlands Norway Portugal South Africa Spain Sweden … Wikipedia
Uruguay — • The smallest independent state in South America Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin Knight. 2006. Uruguay Uruguay † … Catholic encyclopedia