- Northern Ireland Grand Committee
This article is part of the series:
Politics and government of
The Northern Ireland Grand Committee is one of three such grand committees in the United Kingdom Parliament. The other two are for Scotland and Wales. The membership of the committee includes all participating Northern Irish MPs as well as up to 25 other MPs who are nominated by the Committee of Selection.
The purpose of the committee is to read bills that are relevant to Northern Ireland before their second or third readings in Parliament. It also provides an opportunity for MPs to question ministers, debate current matters and for ministers to make statements. There are between three and six committee meetings per year.
Until recently, unlike its Scottish and Welsh counterparts, the Northern Ireland Grand Committee met at Westminster and never in Northern Ireland. However, the Democratic Unionist Party pressed for a meeting to take place in the province itself . The government agreed, and in December 2006 the first and so far only local meeting of the committee took place in the council chamber at Belfast City Hall.
Northern Ireland Grand Committee Debates by parliamentary year:
Current British parliamentary committees Commons
- Departmental: Business, Innovation and Skills · Communities and Local Government · Culture, Media and Sport · Defence · Education · Energy and Climate Change · Environment, Food and Rural Affairs · Foreign Affairs · Health · Home Affairs · International Development · Justice · Northern Ireland Affairs · Political and Constitutional Reform · Science and Technology · Scottish Affairs · Transport · Treasury · Welsh Affairs · Work and Pensions
- Topical: Arms Export Controls · Environmental Audit · European Scrutiny · Public Accounts · Public Administration · Regulatory Reform · Statutory Instruments
- General: Panel of Chairs · Public bill committee · Delegated Legislation Committees · European Committees · Northern Ireland Grand Committee · Regional Affairs Committee · Scottish Grand Committee · Welsh Grand Committee
- Internal: Administration · Finance and Services · Backbench Business · Liaison · Members' Expenses · Procedure · Selection · Standards and Privileges · Works of Art
- Topical: Communications · Constitution · Delegated Powers and Regulatory Reform · Economic Affairs · European Union · Merits of Statutory Instruments · Science and Technology
- Private business: Hybrid Instruments · Standing Orders
- Internal: House · Liaison Committee · Privileges and Conduct · Procedure · Selection
- Domestic: Administration and Works · Information · Refreshment · Works of Art
- Commons: House of Commons Commission (Administration Estimate Audit · Members Estimate · Members Estimate Audit) · Public Accounts Commission · Speaker's Committee on the Electoral Commission · Speaker's Committee for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority
- Joint: Ecclesiastical Committee · Intelligence and Security
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
Northern Ireland Affairs Select Committee — Northern Ireland This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Northern Ireland … Wikipedia
Grand committee — In the United Kingdom = The grand committees are committees of the House of Commons of the United Kingdom which are made up of all MPs from each of the Home Nations except England, together with some other MPs who are co opted onto the committee … Wikipedia
Northern Ireland Office — Northern Ireland This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Northern Ireland … Wikipedia
Northern Ireland Executive — Logo of the Northern Ireland Executive Government overview Formed 2 December 1999 Jurisdiction … Wikipedia
Northern Ireland Belfast Agreement referendum, 1998 — Northern Ireland This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Northern Ireland … Wikipedia
Northern Ireland (European Parliament constituency) — Northern Ireland European Parliament constituency … Wikipedia
Northern Ireland Assembly election, 2003 — 1998 ← members 26 November 2003 → 2007 members … Wikipedia
Northern Ireland Assembly Commission — Northern Ireland This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Northern Ireland … Wikipedia
Northern Ireland Assembly election, 1998 — 1996 ← members 25 June 1998 → 2003 members … Wikipedia
Northern Ireland local government elections, 2001 — Northern Ireland This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Northern Ireland … Wikipedia