- Milan Township, Allen County, Indiana
Milan Township — Township — Coordinates: Coordinates: Country United States State Indiana County Allen Government - Type Indiana township Area - Total 37.55 sq mi (97.26 km2) - Land 37.18 sq mi (96.29 km2) - Water 0.37 sq mi (0.97 km2) 1% Elevation 758 ft (231 m) Population (2000) - Total 3,503 - Density 94.2/sq mi (36.4/km2) ZIP codes 46741, 46774, 46797, 46835 GNIS feature ID 0453624
Milan Township is one of twenty townships in Allen County, Indiana, USA. Milan Township is located in east central Allen County, with the Maumee River meandering across the township. As of the 2000 census, its population was 3,503. The township is highly rural, with only 1,038 houses in the 2000 census. Many of the residents of Milan Township are Amish.
The principal town in Milan Township is Milan Center, at 41°8'39"N 84°56'46"W. Milan Center originally consisted of two intersecting roads, Milan Center and Doty, and consisted of Brueggeman's (a combination lumberyard, hardware and grocery store), a small wood-frame church, Milan Center School, a feed mill, and four houses.
Northern Milan township had traditionally been served by the Harlan telephone exchange, and southern Milan township by the New Haven telephone exchange. Bruggeman's store at Milan Center had telephones from both exchanges. The New Haven telephone exchange was eventually purchased by the Home Telephone company in Fort Wayne, which was purchased by General Telephone of Indiana. The Harlan telephone company was acquired by General Telephone of Indiana as well. General Telephone is now a part of Verizon.
Brueggeman's Do-It-Best Center subsequently left to build a new store several miles removed to take advantage of traffic on State Highway 37. The original Milan Center structure subsequently was lost to fire.
The Milan Township and Woodburn school districts cooperatively built Woodlan High School in the early 1960s, just east of Five Points on Woodburn Road. The schools were consolidated into the East Allen County School district circa 1970.
Five Points is a settlement located at the junction of US Highway 24, Webster Road, and Woodburn Road. It originally consisted of a small diner for truckers, a gas station (later a bicycle shop), a tile mill, and a few homes. A newer water tower labeled "Woodlan" near Woodlan School will likely result in the community being known as "Woodlan" in the coming years.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Milan Township covers an area of 37.55 square miles (97.3 km2); of this, 37.18 square miles (96.3 km2) (96.29 square kilometers, 99 percent) is land and 0.37 square miles (0.96 km2) (0.97 square kilometers, 1 percent) is water.
- Five Points at
- Milan Center at
(This list is based on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
- Springfield Township (northeast)
- Maumee Township (east)
- Jackson Township (southeast)
- Jefferson Township (south)
- Adams Township (southwest)
- St. Joseph Township (west)
- Cedar Creek Township (northwest)
- Barnett Chapel Cemetery, located on the northwest corner of State Road 37 (Maysville Turnpike) and Barnett Road. Lutheran. Earliest date 1875.
- Gar Creek Union Cemetery, located on the Gar Creek Road, 0.3 miles east of the Berthaud Road. Private. Earliest date December 23, 1884.
- Irving Family Cemetery, located on the south bank of the Maumee River, north of the B.F. Goodrich Tire Plant, on U.S. 24, on Goodrich land. Earliest date 1847.
- Platter Family Cemetery, located 0.2 miles south of the Platter Bridge on the northeast bank of the Maumee River. One stone: 1852.
- Saint Paul's Lutheran Cemetery at Gar Creek, located next to the church on Berthaud Road, about 0.2 miles south of Bremer Road. Earliest date 1884.
- Schwartz Family Cemetery, located on the north side of Irving Road 0.1 mile east of the Bruick Road. Amish. No markers.
Historically significant churches
- Milan Evangelical Lutheran Church (Barnett Chapel) and Cemetery at State Road 37 and Barnett Road. Organized in 1864. Merged with St. Mark's Lutheran Church, Harlan (Springfield Township) in 1921. Now part of Holy Trinity Lutheran Church (see Springfield Township).
- St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church-Gar Creek and Cemetery at 1910 N. Berthaud Road. Organized in 1880 by members of Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church, New Haven. Birth, baptism, confirmation, marriage and death records exist since 1880. Early records in German. Records have been photocopied and are available at the Allen County Public Library.
- Milan Center Methodist Protestant Church at the corner of Doty and Milan Center Roads. Organized in 1905/06 when a series of meetings were held in the old Milan Center schoolhouse. Land was donated and construction on the church was begun in 1906. Church disbanded sometime after 1954. Records may be located at the DePauw University Library, Greencastle, IN. The church building has been utilized by various congregations since.
- The Gar Creek Mennonite Church is also now extinct. In about 1854, Mennonites first settled at Gar Creek, a village 11 miles (18 km) northeast of Fort Wayne, Indiana. Among them Michael Rothgeb, Abram and Jacob Bixler, John Federspiel, Hezekiah Rothgeb, and Nancy Lowery. Services were held in Bethel Chapel, a union building. There was no resident minister. Eli Stoffer, a minister in the Hudson (Indiana) congregation, and others conducted occasional services. In 1900 there were 20 members. After the establishing of the Fort Wayne Mission in 1903, the mission workers assumed responsibility for the services at Gar Creek. On 22 October 1905 the building was rededicated for church services. Regular services were discontinued about 1910.
Other historically significant structures
Lengacher-Sapp Farm 17116 Notestine Road Vernacular c Christan Lengacher Farm 10220 Thimlar Road 1910 Foursquare, 2 Gambrel roof barns c Lake-Lengacher Farm 15329 State Road37 c1870 Vernacular Gabled Ell c Swifts-Werts Farm 15039 State Road37 c1880 Italianate house, Gable barn s a c Harp-Graber Farm 14510 Notestine Road Vernacular Gabled Ell and timber-pegged house John Graber Farm 10108 Graber Road c1890 Vernacular Gabled Ell brick line John Bertsch Farm 9842 Graber Road c1870 Vernacular Gabled Ell log Peter Graber, Sr House 9905 Graber Road c1860 I-house log Christian Richer Farm 9921 Ricker Road c1855 Vernacular log c J. E. Motherwell Farm 9633 Ricker Road c1860 Vernacular log c School No 12 (original) 9127 Ricker Road c1870 Vernacular William Fitzgerald, Sr Farm 9127 Ricker Road c1870 Timber Frame w/ Greek Revival details c Township School No. 12 30 Ricker Road 1899 Romanesque Revival c Yoder-Ringgenberger-Graber Farm 8917 Graber Road c1855 Vernacular John Graber Farm 8918 Graber Road c1910 Vernacular gabled ell timber-pegged barn c Summers-Bottern-Graber Farm 8604 Graber Road Brick-lined house, hand-hewn log barn c Milan Township School No. 1 13903 Maysville Road 1882 Vernacular c Chamberlain Settlement State Road37 at Bruick Road c1850 Henry Kurtz House 14106 State Road 37 East c1925 Craftsman bungalow s John Kurtz Farm 14212 State Road 37 East c1914 Foursquare s Barnett Chapel Lutheran Cemetery 14441 State Road 37 East 1875 c M. Sowers House 14441 State Road 37 East c1850 Greek Revival c Joe Miller Farm & Harness Shop 76212 Darling Road c1910 Vernacular gabled ell of tile block Noah Miller Farm 16315 Darling Road c1855 Vernacular log house, German four-bay barn c Township School No. 6 17985 Darling Road c1880 Other c W. A. Ward House 18928 Ward Road c1910 Colonial Revival A. Devauz Farm 7913 Brush College Road c1905 East Lake c Wm. F. Ehle Farm 15729 Ehle Road Rebuilt 1926 House; 1880s Craftsman house, early gabled barn c John Thimlar Farm 15001 Ehle Road c1860 Vernacular Log House c George Washington T. Safford Farm 7907 Bruick Road c1878 Victorian Gothic c Thoddeus B. Stene Farm 13515 State Road 37 c1870 Vernacular Upright and Wing Daniel D. Miller Farm 12914 State Road 37 c1865 Vernacular timber-pegged c Knight-Miller Farm 12810 State Road 37 Vernacular timber-pegged I house Absolom Stateufer Farm 12610 Doty Road c1880 Italianate David Schwartz Farm 14030 Doty Road c1875 Vernacular gabled ell c Milan Township Amish School 14083 Doty Road c1950 Vernacular c Wm. A. Spindler Farm 14201 Doty Road c1875 Victorian Gothic George G. Nuttle Farm 14802 Doty Road c1875 Vernacular: I House c J. M. Yerkes Farm 15208 Doty Road c1890 House estate c Milan Center School Doty Road at Milan Center Road c1900 Romanesque Revival c Milan Center Methodist Church NW Corner Milan Center & Doty Road c1901 c Brueggemann's General Store 15303 Doty Road c1924 2-story, 1928 Craftsman c Milan Center Feed Mill 15402 Doty Road c1946 her c Theodore Thimlar House 16026 Doty Road c1892 Italianate Milan Township School No. 7 Doty Road at Brush College (NE corner) 1902 Classical Revival c Canal Tavern House 19524 U.S. 24 c1850 Vernacular log Irving Family Cemetery 18907 E. U.S. 24 c1847- c Fairport Settlement U.S. 24 A/C from Goodrich Uniroyal Plant N-side 1837 c Sanford A. Ransom Farm 6034 Milan Center Road c1870 Vernacular vertical plank-lined c Christian Schwartz Farm a 14422 Irving Road c1870 Vernacular I house c John Schwartz Farm 14218 Irving Road 870 Vernacular I house Schwartz Family Cemetery 13935 Irving Road 19th century-Early 20th century c J. J. Schwartz Farm 5229-35 Bruick Road c1870 Vernacular log s Platter Family Cemetery S. of Webster Road E. of Maumee River c1852 Summerset (town) S. Bank of Maumee River near Webster Road 34 c Shaney Brooks Gas Statetion 16800 E. Woodburn Road c1920 Craftsman c Five Points/Canal Turnaround US 24 at Webster & Woodburn Road. 1920 Craftsman c Henry Busche Farm 4029 Sampson Road c1870 Vernacular log c Peter Schaaf Farm 3637 Webster Road c1872 Victorian Gothic c William P. Bruick Farm 15019 Parent Road c1870 Vernacular gabled ell cg George Peter Schlink Farm 14218 Parent Road 1879 Italianate Hemsoth-Metert Farm 12830 Stellhorn Road c1870 Queen Anne c Hemrich Nietert Farm 3534 Ricker Road 885 Italianate c Wm. Schafer Farm 3814 Ricker Road 875 Vernacular wing, gabled front c Gottlieb Schafer Barn & Outbuildings 12015 Stellhorn Road 61+, 1893 1893 Bank barn c Henry Meyer Farm 11604 Stellhorn Road 875 Vernacular: I house Village of Thurman 10800 E Stellhorn Road at 4400 N Thurman, E to RR tracks Early 20th c. village c H. Kuehn Farm 10930 Stellhorn Road c18 Vernacular c Vonderau Farm 3714 Thurman Road c1910 Dutch Colonial Revival s Bowers Mill 11500 Parent Road at Bride N-side ?-1861 Vernacular water-powered mill c Henry Nahrwold Farm 11013 Parent Road 1875 Vernacular gabled Front Lapp-Vonderau Farm 11102 Stellhorn Road 900 Victorian Gothic c Young-Hermann Farm 11418 Parent Road 890 East Lake s Heinrich Bischoff Farm 11618 Parent Road c1880 Queen Anne s Hiram Parent Farm 12808 Parent Road c1875 Italianate c John Harper Farm 13086 Bremer Road 870 Vernacular gabled ell c Charles Hockemeyer Farm 14216 Bremer Road 1911-12 Classical Revival State Paul's Lutheran Church Cemetery 1910 Berthaud Road ilan 4- Herman & Christine Meyer Farm 15503 Gar Creek Road c19 Foursquare with Colonial Revival detail c Gar Creek Union Cemetery 15715 Gar Creek Road 1884 c Mosler Village 17703 Bremer Road N. of RR Tracks and Road 1854 Gar Creek Settlement 16221 Gar Creek Road
- I-469 (Ronald Reagan Expressway)
- US 24
- SR 37
Airports and landing strips
- Airpark Field
- East Allen County Schools
- Indiana's 3rd congressional district
- State House District 79
- State House District 85
- State Senate District 14
- United States Census Bureau 2008 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States Board on Geographic Names (GNIS)
- ^ United States Census Bureau American FactFinder
- ^ Quickfacts Housing Units
- ^ Osborne, Hubert L. "Gar Creek Mennonite Church (Gar Creek, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia (Online.) 1956. Retrieved 13 January 2008 <http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/G362.html>
Cedar Creek Township Springfield Township St. Joseph Township Maumee Township Milan Township Adams Township Jefferson Township Jackson Township Municipalities and communities of Allen County, Indiana County seat: Fort Wayne Cities Towns Townships Unincorporated
Aboite | Arcola | Ari | Boston Corner | Cedar Canyons | Cedar Shores | Cuba | Dunn Mill | East Liberty | Edgerton | Five Points | Four Presidents Corners | Halls Corners | Harlan | Hessen Cassel | Hoagland | Lake Everett | Maples | Milan Center | Poe | Sunnymede Woods | Tillman | Timbercrest | Townley | Yoder | Zulu
‡This populated place also has portions in an adjacent county or counties
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Maumee Township, Allen County, Indiana — Maumee Township Township Location in Allen County … Wikipedia
Marion Township, Allen County, Indiana — Marion Township Township Location in Allen County … Wikipedia
Monroe Township, Allen County, Indiana — Monroe Township Township Location in Allen County … Wikipedia
Springfield Township, Allen County, Indiana — Infobox Settlement official name = Springfield Township settlement type = Township nickname = motto = imagesize = image caption = image imagesize = image caption = image mapsize = map caption = Location of Springfield Township in Allen County… … Wikipedia
Adams Township, Allen County, Indiana — Infobox Settlement official name = Adams Township settlement type = Township nickname = motto = imagesize = image caption = image imagesize = image caption = image mapsize = map caption = Location of Adams Township in Allen County mapsize1 = map… … Wikipedia
Jackson Township, Allen County, Indiana — Infobox Settlement official name = Jackson Township settlement type = Township nickname = motto = imagesize = image caption = image imagesize = image caption = image mapsize = map caption = Location of Jackson Township in Allen County mapsize1 =… … Wikipedia
Jefferson Township, Allen County, Indiana — Infobox Settlement official name = Jefferson Township settlement type = Township nickname = motto = imagesize = image caption = image imagesize = image caption = image mapsize = map caption = Location of Jefferson Township in Allen County… … Wikipedia
Cedar Creek Township, Allen County, Indiana — Infobox Settlement official name = Cedar Creek Township settlement type = Township nickname = motto = imagesize = image caption = image imagesize = image caption = image mapsize = map caption = Location of Cedar Creek Township in Allen County… … Wikipedia
St. Joseph Township, Allen County, Indiana — Infobox Settlement official name = St. Joseph Township settlement type = Township nickname = motto = imagesize = image caption = image mapsize = map caption = Location of St. Joseph Township in Allen County mapsize1 = map caption1 = subdivision… … Wikipedia
Allen County, Indiana — Infobox U.S. County county = Allen County state = Indiana map size = 150 founded = 1 April 1824 seat = Fort Wayne | area total sq mi =660 area land sq mi =657 area water sq mi =3 area percentage = 0.43% census yr = 2000 pop = 342168 density km2 … Wikipedia