- Woodford Aerodrome
Manchester Woodford Aerodrome
IATA: none – ICAO: EGCD Summary Airport type Private Operator BAE Systems Location Woodford, Greater Manchester Elevation AMSL 295 ft / 90 m Coordinates Coordinates: Map Runways Direction Length Surface m ft 07/25 2,292 7,520 Asphalt Sources: UK AIP at NATS
BAE Systems Woodford was due to close in 2012 when its Nimrod Project was to be completed. It was also previously believed that some jobs would be transferred to BAE Systems' Military Air Solutions headquarters in Preston, Lancashire. However, following the cancellation of aircraft orders in the British Government's Strategic Defence and Security Review, the site closed as an active airfield on 25 August 2011.
The aerodrome first came into use in 1924, when the Avro company moved from Alexandra Park Aerodrome in south Manchester. The aerodrome, originally having a small grass area, but later much extended, was home to Avro, Hawker-Siddeley, and later BAE Systems.
Many aircraft types were built at Woodford including:
- Avro Anson
- Avro Lancaster
- Avro Lincoln
- Avro Tudor
- Avro Shackleton
- Avro Vulcan
- Avro Ashton
- Hawker Siddeley HS 748
- Hawker Siddeley Nimrod
- BAe ATP
- BAe 146
Plans to convert part of the site to films studios with adjacent office space and an hotel were announced in October 2011.
- ^ Manchester Woodford - EGCD
- ^ Civil Aviation Authority Aerodrome Ordinary Licences
- ^ http://www.crainsmanchesterbusiness.co.uk/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080714/FREE/360407340/1166/-/-/bae-systems-chief-exec-turner-skills-at-woodford-must-be-saved
- ^ Ruddick, Graham (15 September 2009). "BAe Systems to cut 1,116 jobs and close Cheshire site". The Daily Telegraph (London). http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/6192540/BAe-Systems-to-cut-1116-jobs-and-Cheshire-close-site.html.
- ^ "BAE Systems plans 1,116 job cuts". BBC News. 15 September 2009. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8256404.stm.
- ^ "Resignation to BAE factory news". BBC News. 16 September 2009. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/8257274.stm.
- ^ Press Association (15 September 2009). "BAE to axe 1,100 jobs and close site". guardian.co.uk (London). http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/sep/15/bae-job-cuts-woodford-closure.
- ^ "Jobs blow as BAE plant to close". Manchester Evening News. 15 September 2009. http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1136849_jobs_blow_as_bae_plant_to_close.
- ^ "BAE Woodford site closing a year early". Manchester Evening News. 15 December 2010. http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1393066_bae_woodford_site_closing_a_year_early. Retrieved 16 December 2010.
- ^ "Woodford Studios set to "revolutionise" North West film industry". How-Do. 11 October2011. http://www.how-do.co.uk/north-west-media-news/north-west-broadcasting/woodford-studios-set-to-“revolutionise”-north-west-film-industry-20111011100955637. Retrieved 11 October2011.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Woodford, Greater Manchester — infobox UK place country = England static static image caption= latitude= 53.339 longitude= 2.156 official name= Woodford population= metropolitan borough= Stockport metropolitan county= Greater Manchester region= North West England constituency… … Wikipedia
Manchester (Wythenshawe) Aerodrome — Coordinates: 53°24′36″N 2°16′48″W / 53.4099°N 2.2801°W / 53.4099; 2.2801 … Wikipedia
Manchester Airport (disambiguation) — Manchester Airport may refer to: United Kingdom Trafford Park Aerodrome (Manchester), in operation 1911 18 Alexandra Park Aerodrome (Manchester), in operation 1918 24 Woodford Aerodrome or Manchester Woodford Aerodrome, in operation since 1924, a … Wikipedia
Lancashire Aero Club — The Lancashire Aero Club is the oldest established Flying Club in the United Kingdom. History The club was initiated after, in 1922, John F. Leeming and a group of friends started building a glider in Bowdon near Altrincham Cheshire. The club has … Wikipedia
Liste der Flughäfen im Vereinigten Königreich — Das Vereinigte Königreich hat laut CIA World Factbook 471 Flugplätze und Flughäfen. In dieser Liste sind sie nach Landesteil und den Ortschaften geordnet, die sie erschließen. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 England 2 Nordirland 3 Schottland … Deutsch Wikipedia
de Havilland Comet — This article is about the jet airliner. For the 1930s racing aircraft, see de Havilland DH.88. DH 106 Comet … Wikipedia
Avro Tudor — infobox Aircraft name = Tudor type = Airliner manufacturer = Avro caption = A B.S.A.A. Avro Tudor 2 designer = Roy Chadwick first flight = 14 June avyear|1945 introduced = retired = status = primary user = B.S.A.A more users = BOAC produced =… … Wikipedia
Список аэропортов по коду ИКАО: E — Список аэропортов по коду ИКАО: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z Формат… … Википедия
City Airport Manchester — For the major UK international airport, see Manchester Airport. City Airport Manchester/Barton Aerodrome IATA: none – ICAO: EGCB … Wikipedia
Reddish — ] Reddish s position north of the Tame means it was historically part of Lancashire.] In 1974 Stockport and several adjacient territories became a unified metropolitan borough in the newly created metropolitan county of Greater… … Wikipedia