- Court (disambiguation)
Court is an English word known since 1175, from Old French curt, from Latin cohors ("enclosed yard," and by extension, perhaps associated with curia "sovereign's assembly", those assembled in the yard; company, cohort, from com- "together" + stem hort- related to hortus "garden, plot of ground", which can mean:
- Courtyard or quadrangle, architectural features, with the latter term usually used at colleges or university campuses
- Cul-de-sac in American English and Australian English.
- A defined playing area, with a prepared surface, for a game or sport, usually with solid boundaries (as opposed to a field); major examples include: tennis court, basketball court and volleyball court
- Royal or noble court, the retinue and larger household and entourage of a monarch, prince of the church, or a high noble (for example: Court of St. James's)
- A social group of animals, notably kangaroos
- Court as a verb means to seek out or solicit the affections of someone (see courtship).
- Food court
As a person's name
- Alfred Court (1883–1977), animal trainer for Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus in the 1940s
- Antoine Court French Huguenot Protestant Reformer
- Charles Court, Ex Premier of Western Australia and Margaret Court's father-in-law
- Claude August Court French soldier and mercenary. General to Maharaja Ranjit Sinjh
- David Court, English footballer
- Hazel Court, actress
- Margaret Court, one of the best female tennis players of all time.
As a specific place
- Courts Island, Tasmania
- Court is a municipality in the Canton of Berne, Switzerland.
- Any one of several places listed as simply Court listed on the National Register of Historic Places in Pasadena, California.
- Court, a district electoral area in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
As a firm
- Courts, a store chain in the Caribbean owned by Unicomer Group
- Courts plc A once famous UK Furniture Retailer
- Court Line A frill-free charter airline (before Easy Jet)
This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Royal court (disambiguation) — Royal court, as distinguished from a court of law, may refer to:*Noble court, the household or entourage of a monarch or other ruler *Royal Court (Liverpool), a theatre in Liverpool, England *Royal Court Theatre, in London, England *The Royal… … Wikipedia
Magistrates' Court (disambiguation) — Magistrates Court can refer to: Magistrates Court in England and Wales Magistrates Courts Act 1980 of the United Kingdom Magistrates Courts, Liverpool court building Magistrate s Court of Jersey Magistrates Court (Hong Kong) Magistrates Courts of … Wikipedia
Hampton Court (disambiguation) — Hampton Court usually refers to Hampton Court Palace, a palace and former royal residence in south west London, England.Hampton Court may also refer to: * Hampton Court, Herefordshire, a manor house in Herefordshire, England * Hampton Court (TV… … Wikipedia
Supreme People's Court (disambiguation) — Supreme People s Court is the highest court in the judicial system of many communist countries.Supreme People s Court may refer to * Supreme People s Court of the People s Republic of China * Supreme People s Court of the Socialist Republic of… … Wikipedia
Court of Exchequer — may refer to: Exchequer of Pleas, an ancient English court, that ceased to exist independently in the late nineteenth century Court of Exchequer Chamber, an ancient English appellate court, that ceased to exist independently in the late… … Wikipedia
Court security officer — may refer to: Court security officer (England and Wales) Court Security Officers of the United States Marshals Service See also Bailiff Connecticut Judicial Marshal New York State Court Officers Officer of the court … Wikipedia
Court (royal) — Royal court redirects here. For other uses, see Royal court (disambiguation). For alternative meanings of the word court , see: Court (disambiguation). The court of a monarch, or at some periods an important nobleman, is a term for the extended… … Wikipedia
Court — For other uses, see Court (disambiguation). A trial at the Old Bailey in London as drawn by Thomas Rowlandson and Augustus Pugin for Ackermann s Microcosm of London (1808 11). A court is a form of tribunal, often a governmental institution, with… … Wikipedia
Court of Common Pleas — may refer to several different courts: England and Wales and Ireland: Court of Common Pleas (England) Court of Common Pleas (Ireland) United States: four types of state trial courts still in existence, all with names stemming from English common… … Wikipedia
Court of Criminal Appeal (disambiguation) — Court of Criminal Appeal may refer to: Court of Criminal Appeal (United Kingdom) Court of Criminal Appeal (Ireland) Army Court of Criminal Appeals (United States) Navy Marine Corps Court of Criminal Appeals (United States) Coast Guard Court of… … Wikipedia