- Hayes (surname)
Hayes Family name Region of origin England, Ireland, Scotland Language(s) of origin English Related names Hay, Haye, Hays, Heas, Heyes, Highes, O'Hea, Hease, Heyes, Heise, Hughes
Hayes is a common English language surname. In the United States Census, 1990, Hayes was the 100th most common surname recorded. The oldest record of the surname dates to 1197 in the Eynsham Cartulary of Oxfordshire, where it appears on the form Heise. There are nineteen coats of arms assumed by or granted to individuals with this or a similar surname. Though primarily a surname, "Hayes" rarely appears as a given name in census records.
In England, Hayes arose as a locational surname, associated with one of the several places named "Hayes", such as locations in Kent, Middlesex, Devon and Dorset. Such place names had two origins, one based on the Old English haes (brushwood, underwood) and the other based on horg (enclosure) or hege (hedge). The distribution of Hayes in Great Britain in 1881 and 1998 is similar and restricted to areas of England well separated from Scotland and showing some penetration into Wales. This surname has gained in popularity in the century between 1881 and 1998, but remains at a rank of <150 and a frequency lower than that in the United States and some other countries of the Commonwealth.
In Scotland, Hayes is a Scoto-Norman surname, a direct translation of the Normans' locational surname "de la Haye", meaning "of La Haye", La Haye ("the hedge") being the name of several towns on the Cotentin peninsula of Normandy, France. The first Norman namebearer to arrive in Scotland was William II de la Haye in the time of the Norman invasion. Clan Hay descends from him.
In Ireland, Hayes originated as a Gaelic polygenetic surname "O hAodha", meaning descendant of Aodh ("fire"), or of Aed, an Irish mythological god. Septs in most counties anglicised "O hAodha" to "Hayes". In County Cork, it became "O'Hea". In County Ulster, it became "Hughes", the patronymic of Hugh, an anglicized variant of the given name Aodh. Hayes is noted on a public record in County Wexford as early as 1182. In County Cork, under the Munster providence, Hayes falls under the banner of the McNamara clan in the Dalcassian Sept. The Hayes clan is also been known to hail allegiance[clarification needed] to Clan Cian, the ruling O'Carroll clan, of southern Ireland.
Listed here are people who share the 'Hayes' surname, organized by birth year, to assist in assembling a view of the geographic distribution of this surname over time.
Born after 1600 Wiebbe Hayes c. 1608 unknown Dutch • Colonial soldier of the Dutch East India Company and a decorated national hero. Born after 1700 John Hayes (explorer) 1768 1831 British • Explorer for the British East India Company Born after 1800 Catherine Hayes 1818 1861 Irish • First internationally acclaimed Irish-born opera diva; highest paid singer of her time Rutherford B. Hayes 1822 1893 American • Nineteenth President of the United States Bully Hayes c.1829 c.1877 American • South Sea pirate Lucy Webb Hayes 1831 1889 American • First Lady to President Rutherford B. Hayes Isaac Israel Hayes 1832 1881 American • Arctic explorer and physician William B. Hayes 1844 1912 American • Forty-first Mayor of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Thomas Hayes (19th century) before 1849 1868 Irish-American • Land owner in San Francisco area; made key contributions to the development of the San Francisco rail system Patrick Joseph Hayes 1867 1938 American • Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church; eighth Bishop (fifth Archbishop) of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York; first papal military vicar for the United States John Hayes (Australian politician) 1868 1956 Australian • Thirty-first Premier of Tasmania; eighth President of the Australian Senate Frank Hayes (actor) 1871 1923 American • Silent film actor Ernie Hayes 1876 1953 English • Professional cricketer; Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) Vince Hayes 1879 after 1910 English • Professional football (soccer) player Stephen Hayes (hurler) before 1880 (unknown) Irish • Professional hurler Frank Hayes (unionist) 1882 1948 American • President of the United Mine Workers of America; lieutenant governor of Colorado J. Milton Hayes 1884 1940 English • Actor and poet; known for his dramatic monologues Ralph Leo Hayes 1884 1970 American • Catholic bishop of Helena, Montana and Davenport, Iowa: Rector of the Pontifical North American College in Rome, Italy George 'Gabby' Hayes 1885 1969 American • Television and film actor; recipient of a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame; inductee into the Western Performers Hall of Fame Johnny Hayes 1886 1965 American • Olympic Gold medalist in the marathon race • Second generation Irish-American Michael Hayes (politician) 1889 1976 Irish • National politician Seán Hayes (Tipperary politician) 1890 1968 Irish • National politician Born after 1900 Helen Hayes 1900 1993 American • Actress; winner of Oscar, Tony, Emmy and Grammy awards John Daniel Hayes 1902 1991 American • Rear admiral in the United states Navy; naval historian and teacher of naval history Clancy Hayes 1908 1972 American • Jazz singer, banjoist, guitarist Patricia Hayes 1909 1996 English • Television and film actress; Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) Woody Hayes 1913 1987 American • College football coach; inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame Bill Hayes (footballer) 1915 1987 Irish • Professional football (soccer) player John Hayes (harness racer) 1917 1998 Canadian • Professional horse racer; inducted into the Canadia Horse Racing Hall of Fame Richard Hayes (Irish politician) before 1918 1958 Irish • National politician Seán Hayes (Cork politician) before 1918 1941 Irish • National politician John Michael Hayes 1919 (living) American • Screenwriter and Alfred Hitchock collaborator; Edgar Award winner Wallace D. Hayes c.1919 2001 Chinese-American • Provided fundamental contributions to the understanding of supersonic and hypersonic flight Stephen Hayes before 1922 (living) Irish • Chief of Staff of the Irish Republican Army Ira Hayes 1923 1955 Pima • Paramarine in the United States Marine Corps; one of five soldiers who appear in the iconic photograph of the raising of the American flag on the island of Iwo Jima during World War II Colin Hayes 1924 1999 Australian • Champion thoroughbred racehorse trainer; Order of Australia (AM); Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) John B. Hayes 1924 2001 American • Sixteenth Commandant of the United States Coast Guard Bill Hayes (actor) 1925 (living) American • Television and stage actor, singer; plays the character Doug Williams on the soap opera Days of our Lives, also wrote The Ballad of Davey Crockett John Hayes (cricketer) 1927 2007 New Zealander • Professional cricketer Willie Hayes c.1928 (unknown) Irish • Professional football (soccer) player John Hayes (art historian) 1929 2005 British • Authority on the paintings of Thomas Gainsborough; director of the London Museum and National Portrait Gallery John Hayes (director) 1930 2000 American • B-movie genre film director David Hayes (sculptor) 1931 (living) American • Award-winning sculptor Brian Hayes (broadcaster) 1937 (living) Australian • Radio personality Mickie Most 1938 2003 English • Record producer • born "Michael Peter Hayes" Vic Hayes 1941 (living) Dutch • "Father of Wi-Fi". Bob Hayes 1942 2002 American • Olympic Gold Medalist sprinter; professional football player; at one time considered the world's fastest man Isaac Hayes 1942 2008 American • Soul and funk musician; winner of Oscar and Grammy awards Patrick J. Hayes 1944 (living) British • Computer scientist known for his seminal and continuing contributions to the field of Artificial Intelligence Frank Hayes (cricketer) 1946 (living) English • Professional cricketer Billy Hayes (writer) 1947 (living) American • Film writer, actor, director; author of Midnight Express John Hayes (NZ politician) 1948 (living) New Zealander • Member of Parliament Mark Hayes (golfer) 1949 (living) American • Professional golfer Stephen K. Hayes 1949 (living) American • Martial arts instructor and author; inductee into the Black Belt Hall of Fame (Instructor of the Year); former security advisor and bodyguard to the Dalai Lama of Tibet Born after 1950 Dennis Hayes 1950 (living) American • Co-developer of the first commercial modem for the IBM PC; founder of Hayes Microcomputer Products Jerry Hayes 1953 (living) British • National politician; barrister Mark Hayes (composer) 1953 (living) American • Gospel music composer Beth Hayes 1955 1984 American • Economist specializing in theoretical microeconomics Chris Hayes (politician) 1955 (living) Australian • National politician for the Division of Werriwa Austin Hayes 1958 1986 Irish • Professional football (soccer) player John Henry Hayes 1958 (living) English • National politician Michael Hayes (wrestler) 1959 (living) American • Professional wrestler and writer for professional wrestling events Calvin Hayes 1960 (living) English • Musician; founding member of Johnny Hates Jazz David A. Hayes 1962 (living) Australian • Thoroughbred racehorse trainer Bruce Hayes (swimmer) 1963 (living) American • Olympic Gold Medalist swimmer David Hayes (b.1963) American Conductor Director The Philadelphia Singers Stevie Plunder 1963 1996 Australian • Singer/songwriter; founding member of The Whitlams Bernie Hayes before 1963 (living) Australian • Singer/songwriter Christian Hayes 1964 (living) English • Rock singer, songwriter, guitarist Michael Hayes (spree killer) 1964 (living) American • Murderer notable for successful use of insanity as a defense J. P. Hayes 1965 (living) American • Professional golfer Andrea Hayes 1969 (living) American • Backstroke swimmer Brian Hayes (politician) 1969 (living) Irish • National politician Sean Hayes (musician) 1969 (living) American • Folk music singer-songwriter Trisa Hayes 1969 (living) American • Professional wrestler Sean Hayes (actor) 1970 (living) American • Film and television actor; Emmy award winner Chris Hayes (American football) 1972 (living) American • Professional football player Darren Hayes 1972 (living) Australian • Pop and electronica singer, songwriter David Hayes (musician) before 1973 (living) American • Bass guitar player Edwina Hayes 1973 (living) Irish-English • Singer, songwriter John Hayes (rugby player) 1973 (living) Irish • Professional rugby union player Janet Gray Hayes before 1975 (living) American • Sixtieth Mayor of San Jose, California Josh Hayes 1975 (living) American • Professional motorcycle racer David Hayes (soccer) 1976 (living) American • Professional football (soccer) player Christopher Hayes (journalist) 1979 (living) American • Journalist; editor of The Nation Frank Hayes (musician) before 1980 (living) American • Filk musician; computer technology columnist Lenny Hayes 1980 (living) Australian Rules Football player David Hayes (writer) before 1986 (living) Canadian • Non-fiction author and essayist Isaac Hayes III 1942 2008 American • Record producer and voice actor
Additional notable people
unknown nationality; unknown year of birth
- Brian Hayes (scientist)
- Richard Hayes (professor), Academic in the areas of Buddhist philosophy and Sanskrit
Fictional characters sharing the Hayes surname
- Ainsley Hayes in the American television series The West Wing
- Angela Hayes in the Academy Award winning film "American Beauty" (1999)
- Ben Hayes in the 2005 American film remake of King Kong
- Blake Hayes in the American television soap opera The Bold and the Beautiful
- Damian Hayes, a character in Degrassi: The Next Generation
- Harriet Hayes (or Hannah Harriet Hayes) in the American television series Studio 60
- Henry Hayes in Stargate SG-1
- Major J. Hayes in the third season of Star Trek: Enterprise
- Karen Hayes in the American television series 24
- Lisa Hayes in the anime Robotech
- Logan Hayes in the American television Award Winning Soap Opera General Hospital
- Maddie Hayes in the American television series Moonlighting
- Michael Hayes in American TV series by same name (1997–1998)
- Farmer Michael Hayes in the Christy Moore song The Pursuit of Farmer Michael Hayes
- Taylor Hayes in the American television soap opera The Bold and the Beautiful
- William Hayes, the main character in the film "Midnight Express" (1978)
- Willie Mays Hayes in the films Major League and Major League II
- ^ Citation: United States Census Bureau. 1995.
- ^ a b c Citation: Hayes surname meaning
- ^ Eynsham Cartulary of Oxfordshire: This text is a chronological record of deeds issued in Eynsham, Oxfordshire and recorded by the Benedictine Abbey of Eynsham. Several full text versions are available online, as this is considered an antiquarian text of some relevance; for instance, a version published in 1907 is available via Google Books.
- ^ Citation: Eysham abbey. 1907.
- ^ a b c Citation: Longley et al.
- ^ a b Citation: Hayes surname group.
- ^ Citation: kthomas, 2002.
- ^ Citation: Hayes, John; 2008.
- ^ a b Husband and wife: Rutherford 1822 and Lucy 1831
- ^ This person is listed here under her married name.
- ^ The Pima are a Native American people.
- ^ a b Father and son: Colin 1924 and David 1962
- ^ a b Father and son: Mickie 1938 and Calvin 1960
- ^ CNET Vision series, December 6, 2002: "...which earned him the sobriquet of father of Wi-Fi."
- ^ Business Week, April 1, 2003
- ^ a b Father and son: Isaac 1942 and Isaac before 2000
- ^ a b Brothers: Stevie 1963 and Bernie before 1963
- Eynsham abbey (1907). Herbert Edward Salter. ed. Eynsham Cartulary. Oxford historical society at the Clarendon Press. p. 78. ISBN 1432536222. http://books.google.com/books?id=rlkJAAAAIAAJ.
- Hayes, John (2008-02-08). "Hayes Name Information (Ó'hAodha)". failteromhat.com. http://www.failteromhat.com/hayes.htm. Retrieved 2008-02-11.
- "Hayes surname group". Surnames & Heraldry. IrishGen.com. Archived from the original on 2007-11-17. http://web.archive.org/web/20071117041904/http://irishgen.com/surnames/details.asp?surname_id=143. Retrieved 2008-02-11.
- "Hayes surname meaning". SurnameDB. Name Origin Research. http://www.surnamedb.com/surname.aspx?name=Hayes. Retrieved 2008-02-11.
- kthomas (2002-10-16). "Irish Names H, J". Eolas na hEireann, Information about Ireland. eircom.net. http://homepage.eircom.net/~kthomas/names6.htm. Retrieved 2008-02-11.
- Longley, Paul; Alex Singleton, Richard Webber and Daryl Lloyd. "Hayes". SPLINT Project, University College London. The National Trust. http://www.nationaltrustnames.org.uk/. Retrieved 2008-04-05. Note: Attempts to link directly to search results pages result in failure to find the site.
- United States Census Bureau (9 May 1995). s:1990 Census Name Files dist.all.last (1-100). Retrieved on 2008-04-04.
- Billy Hayes (disambiguation) • Brian Hayes (disambiguation)
- Chris Hayes (disambiguation)
- David Hayes (disambiguation)
- Frank Hayes (disambiguation)
- Jeremy Hayes (disambiguation) • John Hayes (disambiguation)
- Mark Hayes (disambiguation) • Michael Hayes (disambiguation)
- Richard Hayes (disambiguation)
- Sean Hayes (disambiguation) • Stephen Hayes (disambiguation)
- Thomas Hayes (disambiguation)
- William Hayes (disambiguation)
- Hays (disambiguation)
This page or section lists people with the surname Hayes. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Hayes — may refer to: * Hayes (surname) * Carlton Hayes, the American historian * Rutherford B. Hayes, the 19th President of the United States * Hayes Brake, an American company dedicated to the design and manufacture of non automotive disc brakes *… … Wikipedia
Hayes — This distinguished and ancient surname is of Anglo Saxon origin, and is a locational name from any one of a number of places called Hayes . Hayes in Kent, recorded as Hese in the 1168 Pipe Rolls, and in Middlesex, recorded as Hesa in the Domesday … Surnames reference
Hayes — noun a) Any of a number of places, outside Britain named for persons with the surname. b) anglicised from … Wiktionary
Hay (surname) — Hay is a surname, and may refer to * Alexander Hay (1806–1882), Mayor of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania * Andrew Leith Hay, Scottish soldier, politician and author * Barry Hay, Dutch musician * Bill Hay, Canadian ice hockey player * Colin Hay, Scottish … Wikipedia
Chanelle Hayes — in 2007 Background information Birth name Chanelle Jade Sinclair Born 11 Novem … Wikipedia
Charlotte Hayes — Marshalsea Notable prisoners Sir Francis Barrington Edmund Bonner · Henry Chettle … Wikipedia
Robert Hayes (disambiguation) — Robert Hayes may refer to: * Bob Hayes (1942 2002), an Olympic gold medal sprinter and receiver for the Dallas Cowboys * Robert Hayes (b. 1942), an Australian law scholar * Robert M. Hayes (b. 1926), an American academic * Robin Hayes (b. 1945),… … Wikipedia
Sinclair (surname) — Sinclair Family name Revela Domino opera tua Meaning Taken from the hermit saint; this derivation of the St. Claire surname … Wikipedia
Robert Hayes Gore — (1886 mdash;1972) was a Florida politician and newspaper publisher who also served as the 11th civilian Governor of Puerto Rico from July 1933 to January 1934. He was born in Knottsville, Kentucky and became a newspaper writer, editor publisher… … Wikipedia
O'Hea — may refer to: Charles O Hea John Fergus O Hea Matt O Hea Patrick O Hea Timothy O Hea See also Dál gCais Corcu Loígde Hayes (surname) … Wikipedia