- Zombie comedy
The earliest roots of the genre can be found in Jean Yarbrough's King of the Zombies (1941) and Gordon Douglas's Zombies on Broadway (1945), though both of these films dealt with Haitian-style zombies. An American Werewolf in London (1981) and the Return of the Living Dead series (1985) (especially the first two and the last of the series) can be considered some of the earliest examples of Zombie-comedy using the modern zombie.
Modern zombie comedies include Edgar Wright's Shaun of the Dead (which was in fact a self-dubbed Romantic Zombie Comedy, or RomZomCom). This movie made many in-jokes and references to George A. Romero's earlier Dead films.
Andrew Currie's Fido, Matthew Leutwyler's Dead & Breakfast, and Peter Jackson's Braindead, are also good examples of zombie comedies. Sam Raimi's Evil Dead II, although a horror film, contains some light hearted and dark comedy elements, and its sequel, Army of Darkness, is even more comedic. The Evil Dead series does not, however, feature any traditional style zombies.
Other films that could be considered zombie comedies include the 1986 film Redneck Zombies, 1993's My Boyfriend's Back, 1986's Night of the Creeps, 1998's Bio Zombie, 1999's Idle Hands, starring Devon Sawa and Seth Green, 2005's Tokyo Zombie, 2005's Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead, 2008's Dance of the Dead and Zombie Strippers, as well as 2009's Dead Snow and Zombieland, starring Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg, Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin , Zombie Dearest, and 2011's First Platoon.
- ^ "Night of the Living Dorks". Cinema Blend. http://www.cinemablend.com/dvds/Night-of-the-Living-Dorks-2158.html. Retrieved April 9, 2007.
- ^ Bemenderfer, Mark (October 12, 2004). "Zombie Comedy Succeeds In Both Genres". The Observer Online. http://media.www.ndsmcobserver.com/media/storage/paper660/news/2004/10/12/Scene/Zombie.Comedy.Succeeds.In.Both.Genres-749911.shtml. Retrieved April 9, 2007.
- ^ Gartside, Will (September 30, 2004). "Zombie Comedy Slays Audiences". The Badger Herald. http://badgerherald.com/artsetc/2004/09/30/zombie_comedy_slays_.php. Retrieved April 9, 2007.
- ^ Nelson, Resa (2004). "Science Fiction Weekly Interview". SciFi Weekly, Issue 388, paragraph 4. Retrieved April 9, 2007.
- ^ Dellamorte (January 22, 2003). Return of the Living Dead. Classic Horror Review. Retrieved April 9, 2007.
- ^ Edelstein, David (September 23, 2004). "The Importance of Being Undead: A Zombie Comedy of Manners". Slate Magazine. Retrieved April 9, 2007.
- ^ Smith, Kerry L. (2004-09-22). "Shaun Of The Dead: The World's First Rom-Zom-Com (Romantic Zombie Comedy)?". MTV News. http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1491298/09222004/story.jhtml. Retrieved 2008-06-25.
- ^ Capt. Xerox (March 16, 2007). "Critics Love the New Zombie Comedy Fido". The Website @ The End Of The Universe. Retrieved April 9, 2007.
- ^ Frazer, Bryant. Braindead (review). Deep Focus. Retrieved April 9, 2007.
Horror fiction Media SubgenresBody · C-Horror · Comedy (list · Zombie comedy) · Dark fantasy · Dark romanticism · Ero guro · Erotic · Ghost · Gothic · J-Horror · K-Horror · Lovecraftian · Monsters (Frankenstein · Vampire · Werewolf) · Occult detective · Psychological · Religion (film) · Sci-fi (film) · Slasher (film) · Splatter/gore (film) · Supernatural · Survival · Weird menace · Weird West · Zombie apocalypse · Space Goth Related genres Others Comedy Topics Types Subgenres
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Comedy horror — Comedy horror, also known as horror comedy, is a literary and film genre, combining elements of comedy and horror fiction. The comedy horror genre almost always inevitably crosses over with the black comedy genre; and in some respects could be… … Wikipedia
Zombie apocalypse — This article is about the genre in general. For other uses, see Zombie apocalypse (disambiguation). Zombies Overview Zombie (fictional) Zombie apocalypse … Wikipedia
Zombie (Film) — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel Zombie / Zombie – das Original / Zombies im Kaufhaus Originaltitel Dawn of the Dead … Deutsch Wikipedia
Zombie – Dawn of the Dead — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel: Zombie / Zombie – das Original / Zombies im Kaufhaus Originaltitel: Dawn of the Dead Produktionsland: USA Erscheinungsjahr: 1978 Länge: 156 Minuten Originalsprache … Deutsch Wikipedia
Comedy film — is a genre of film in which the main emphasis is on humour. They are designed to elicit laughter from the audience. Comedies are mostly light hearted dramas and are made to amuse and entertain the audiences. The comedy genre humorously exaggerate … Wikipedia
Zombie! vs. Mardi Gras — (1999) is an independently produced comedy horror film directed by Karl DeMolay, Will Frank and Mike Lyddon.ynopsisThe plot involves a deranged paraplegic occultist and a Sumerian Goddess who create a spell that raises Zombie! (spelled with an… … Wikipedia
Zombie-Loan — Originaltitel ゾンビローン Transkription Zombi Rōn … Deutsch Wikipedia
Zombie Broadway — Zombie Broadway, or Dave Stewart s Zombie Broadway, is a graphic novel created by Dave Stewart, David Harris and Christine Schenley and published by Virgin Comics.It tells the story of a Zombie outbreak in New York City that can only be quelled… … Wikipedia
Comedy-drama — (dramedy or seriocomedy) is a genre of theatre, film and television programs which combines humorous and serious content. Contents 1 History … Wikipedia
Comedy rock — Stylistic origins Rock Cultural origins Comedy Typical instruments Electric guitar, Bass guitar, Drum kit, Vocals Mainstream popularity Occasional mainstream success … Wikipedia