- Travel document
A travel document is an
identity documentissued by a government or international treaty organization to facilitate the movement of individuals or small groups of persons across international boundaries. Travel documents usually assure other governments that the bearer or bearers may return to the issuing country and are issued in booklet form to allow other governments to place visas as well as entry and exit stamps in them. One of the most common travel documents is a passport, which usually identifies the bearer as a citizen or national of the issuing country.Currently international travel documents are issued under the United Nations Convention Travel Document(UNCTD).
Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europehas also adopted the new Travel Document Security Programmewhich seeks to "aim to comply fully with the minimumsecurity standards for the handling and issuance of passports and other travel documentselaborated by ICAO". [http://www.un.org/sc/ctc/pdf/OSCE%20TDS%20Programme.pdf The OSCE Travel Document Security Programme]
A United States travel document may also be used as a: [ USCIS's Form I-131 found [http://www.uscis.gov/i-131 here] .]
* Reentry Permit - A reentry permit allows a permanent resident or conditional resident to apply for admission to the United States upon return from abroad during the permit's validity, without having to obtain a returning Resident Visa from a U.S. embassy or consulate.
* Refugee Travel Document - A refugee travel document is issued to a person classified as a refugee or
asylee, or to a permanent resident who obtained such status as a result of being a refugee or asylee in the United States. Persons who hold such status must have a refugee travel document to return to the United States after temporary travel abroad unless he or she is in possession of a valid Advance Parole Document. A refugee travel document is issued by the CIS to implement Article 28 of the United Nations Convention of July 28, 1951.
* Advance Parole Document - An advance parole document is issued solely to authorize the temporary parole of a person into the United States. The document may be accepted by a transportation company in lieu of a visa as an authorization for the holder to travel to the United States. An advance parole document is not issued to serve in place of any required passport. A permanent resident whose travel is on the order of the United States government, other than an exclusion, deportation, removal or rescission order.
For information on applying for a United States travel document see [http://en.wiredtape.com/wiki/USCIS_Form_I-131 here] .
Other types of travel documents
* 1951 Convention travel documents are passport-like booklets issued by national governments to refugees under the 1951 Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees.
* 1954 Convention travel documents are similar documents issued to
stateless persons under the 1954 Convention Relating to the Status of Stateless Persons.
Alien's passports and certificates of identity are passport-like booklets issued by national governments to resident foreigners, other than those issued under the 1951 and 1954 conventions mentioned above. However, some governments issue certificates of identity to their own nationals as emergency passports.
Laissez-passers are issued by national governments and international treaty organizations for various purposes.
1954 Convention Relating to the Status of Stateless Persons
1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness
* [http://en.wiredtape.com/wiki/USCIS_Form_I-131 Information regarding USCIS Form I-131 (application for a U.S. Travel Document)]
* Re-entry Permit
Biometric passportor E-passport
* [http://wikitravel.org/en/Travel_topics#Travel_documents Wikitravel on travel documents]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
travel document — UK US noun [countable] [singular travel document plural travel documents] tourism a passport or visa that you must have to be able to travel between countries … Useful english dictionary
travel document — UK / US noun [countable] Word forms travel document : singular travel document plural travel documents tourism a passport or visa that you must have to be able to travel between countries … English dictionary
travel document — užsieniečio kelionės dokumentas statusas Aprobuotas sritis viešasis administravimas apibrėžtis Užsienio valstybės piliečio pasas ar jį atitinkantis dokumentas, skirtas vykti į užsienio valstybę bei pripažintas Lietuvos Respublikoje. atitikmenys:… … Lithuanian dictionary (lietuvių žodynas)
travel document — noun a) An identity document issued by a government or international treaty organization to facilitate the movement of individuals or small groups of persons across international boundaries, such as a passport. b) An identity document similar to… … Wiktionary
travel document of a stateless person — asmens be pilietybės kelionės dokumentas statusas Aprobuotas sritis viešasis administravimas apibrėžtis Asmeniui, neturinčiam užsienio valstybės pilietybės, tačiau turinčiam dokumentą, suteikiantį teisę gyventi Lietuvos Respublikoje, pagal 1954 m … Lithuanian dictionary (lietuvių žodynas)
New Zealand Refugee Travel Document — The New Zealand Refugee Travel Document (RTD) is an international biometric travel document issued by the Department of Internal Affairs to a recognised refugee in New Zealand. Use Few foreign countries/territories which offer visa free access to … Wikipedia
1954 Convention Travel Document — 1954 Convention travel documents are passport like booklets issued to stateless persons by signatories to the 1954 United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Stateless Persons, where the person is not a refugee under the 1951 United… … Wikipedia
1951 Convention Travel Document — 1951 Convention travel documents are passport like booklets issued to refugees under the 1951 United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees. Their cover bears the words Travel Document in English and French (and often in the… … Wikipedia
Convention travel document — A convention travel document may refer to either: a 1954 Convention Travel Document, issued under the 1954 Convention Relating to the Status of Stateless Persons, or a Refugee travel document, issued under the 1951 Convention Relating to the… … Wikipedia
refugee’s travel document — pabėgėlio kelionės dokumentas statusas Aprobuotas sritis viešasis administravimas apibrėžtis Pabėgėliui pagal 1951 m. konvencijos dėl pabėgėlių statuso nuostatas išduodamas dokumentas, kuriuo jam suteikiama teisė išvykti iš Lietuvos Respublikos… … Lithuanian dictionary (lietuvių žodynas)