- Pluteus cervinus
Pluteus cervinus Scientific classification Kingdom: Fungi Division: Basidiomycota Class: Basidiomycetes Order: Agaricales Family: Pluteaceae Genus: Pluteus Species: P. cervinus Binomial name Pluteus cervinus
(Schäffer : Fr) P. Kumm. (1871)
- Pluteus atricapillus (Batsch) Fayod
- Agaricus lividus Bull. (1788)
Pluteus cervinus Mycological characteristics gills on hymenium
cap is flator umbonate
hymenium is free stipe is bare
spore print is salmonto reddish-brown
ecology is saprotrophic edibility: edible
Pluteus cervinus, also known as Pluteus atricapillus and commonly known as the deer shield or the deer or fawn mushroom, is a mushroom that belongs to the large genus Pluteus. It is found on rotten logs, roots and tree stumps and is widely distributed. It can also grow on sawdust and other wood waste. Being very variable in appearance, it has been divided into several varieties or subspecies, some of which are sometimes considered species in their own right. It is edible, but not often collected for the table.
- The species name, cervinus, although generally thought to refer to the colour of the cap, actually refers to antler-like protrusions on its prominent thick-walled pleurocystidia (of which there can be one to three).
- The spore size is approx. 8×5μ.
- The cap can be deer-brown, but vary from light ochre-brown to dark brown, with a variable admixture of grey or black. The centre of the cap may be darker.
- The cap can be up to 15 cm in diameter, but is often much smaller. Initially it is bell-shaped, and often wrinkled when young. Later it expands to a convex shape.
- The cap surface is smooth and matt to silky-reflective. The cap skin shows dark radial fibres when seen through a lens, indicating that the microscopic cuticle structure is filamentous.
- The spore print is salmon-pink to reddish-brown. The gills are initially white, but soon show a distinctive pinkish sheen, caused by the ripening spores.
- The stipe is 5-12 cm long and 0.7-2.0 cm in diameter, usually thicker at the base. It is covered with brown vertical fibrils on a white ground.
- The flesh is soft and white. The mushroom has a mild to earthy radish smell and a mild taste at first, which may become slightly bitter.
- It grows on dead wood or wood remains.
- ^ Phillips R. "Pluteus cervinus". Rogers Plants Ltd. http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/DisplayBlock~bid~6657.asp. Retrieved 2009-10-27.
- ^ National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms, 2006
- ^ a b Kuo, M. (2004, December). Pluteus cervinus: The deer mushroom.
- ^ Tom Volk's Fungus of the Month
- This article is partly translated from the German page.
- Meinhard Moser: Basidiomycetes II: Röhrlinge und Blätterpilze, Gustav Fischer Verlag Stuttgart (1978). English edition: translated by Simon Plant: Keys to Agarics and Boleti (Roger Phillips 1983)
- Régis Courtecuisse, Bernard Duhem : Guide des champignons de France et d'Europe (Delachaux & Niestlé, 1994-2000). ISBN 2-603-00953-2
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Pluteus cervinus — Pluteus cervinus … Wikipedia Español
Pluteus cervinus — Rehbrauner Dachpilz Rehbrauner Dachpilz (Pluteus cervinus) Systematik Unterklasse: Hutpilze (Agaricomycetidae) … Deutsch Wikipedia
Pluteus cervinus — noun a small edible agaric with a slender stalk; usually found on rotting hardwoods • Syn: ↑deer mushroom • Hypernyms: ↑agaric • Member Holonyms: ↑Pluteus, ↑genus Pluteus, ↑roof mushroom … Useful english dictionary
Pluteus (mycologie) — Pluteus cervinus … Wikipédia en Français
Pluteus (Gattung) — Dachpilze Rehbrauner Dachpilz (Pluteus cervinus) Systematik Abteilung: Basidienpilze (Basidiomycota) … Deutsch Wikipedia
Pluteus — taxobox name = Pluteus color = lightblue image width = 240px image caption = Pluteus leoninus regnum = Fungus divisio = Basidiomycota classis= Basidiomycetes ordo = Agaricales familia = Pluteaceae genus = Pluteus subdivision ranks = Species… … Wikipedia
Pluteus — noun a large genus of fungi belonging to the family Pluteaceae; the shape of the cap resembles a roof; often abundant early in the summer • Syn: ↑genus Pluteus, ↑roof mushroom • Hypernyms: ↑fungus genus • Member Holonyms: ↑Pluteaceae, ↑ … Useful english dictionary
genus Pluteus — noun a large genus of fungi belonging to the family Pluteaceae; the shape of the cap resembles a roof; often abundant early in the summer • Syn: ↑Pluteus, ↑roof mushroom • Hypernyms: ↑fungus genus • Member Holonyms: ↑Pluteaceae, ↑ … Useful english dictionary
Плютей — Молодые экземпляры … Википедия
Плютей олений — ? Плютей олений … Википедия