Singleton, West Sussex


Singleton, West Sussex

infobox UK place
country = England
official_name= Singleton
static_

latitude= 50.91066
longitude= -0.75313
population = 476 (2001)
shire_district= Chichester
shire_county = West Sussex
region= South East England
constituency_westminster= Chichester
post_town= CHICHESTER
postcode_district = PO18
postcode_area= PO
dial_code= 01243
os_grid_reference= SU877130

Singleton is a village and civil parish in the Chichester district of West Sussex, England. It lies in the Lavant valley, north of Chichester on the A286 road to Midhurst.

The village name is derived from the Anglo-Saxon 'sengel', which means "burnt clearing".

The Weald and Downland Open Air Museum of Historic Buildings is situated on the edge of the village. Over 40 historic buildings from south-east England have been rescued from destruction, dismantled and reconstructed on the site.

A railway served the village at Singleton station between 1880 and 1953. The station complex is now in use as a private dwelling place.

The parish has a land area of 1601.8 hectares (3956 acres). In the 2001 census 476 people lived in 199 households, of whom 199 were economically active.

The parish church

.

External links

* [http://www.valleydiary.org The Valley Diary]
* [http://www.wealddown.co.uk/ Weald and Downland Museum]


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.