- Mary Nash
Mary Nash Born Mary Nash
August 15, 1884
Troy, New York, U.S.
Died December 3, 1976(aged 92)
Brentwood, California, U.S.
Occupation Actress Years active 1904–1946 Spouse Jose Ruben (1918–?) (divorce)
Mary Nash (August 15, 1884 – December 3, 1976) was an American actress.
Nash was born on August 15, 1884 (some say 1885) in Troy, New York, to parents Philip Nash, who worked for B. F. Keith Vaudeville Circuit, and Ellen Frances MacNamara. She was educated at the Convent of St. Anne in Montreal and trained for acting at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts. Her younger sister was theater actress Florence Nash.
Stage and film career
She was a noted stage actress in New York and successful in vaudeville before moving to Hollywood in 1934, where she was in films until 1946. According to Allmovie: "Nash was often cast as seemingly mild-mannered women who turned vicious when challenged, as witness her work in College Scandal (1936) and Charlie Chan in Panama (1940). ... Mary Nash's most sympathetic role was as the long-suffering wife of blustering capitalist J. B. Ball in Easy Living (1937)." Nash probably is best known for two films where she acted alongside Shirley Temple, first as Fraulein Rottenmeier in Heidi (1937) and then as the selfish and authoritarian Miss Minchin in The Little Princess (1939). She also was well known as Katharine Hepburn's socialite mother in both stage and movie productions of The Philadelphia Story (1940). She played a supporting role in the 1936 Academy Award-winning film Come and Get It and a featured role in In the Meantime, Darling in 1944.
In 1918 she married French actor, writer and director Jose Ruben (1888–1969). They were divorced shortly after.
- The Unbroken Road (1915)
- Arms and the Woman (1916)
- Uncertain Lady (1934)
- College Scandal (1935)
- Come and Get It (1936)
- The Kid and The College Girl (1937)
- Easy Living (1937)
- Heidi (1937)
- Wells Fargo (1937)
- The Little Princess (1939)
- The Rains Came (1939)
- Charlie Chan in Panama (1940)
- The Philadelphia Story (1940)
- Sailor's Lady (1940)
- Gold Rush Maisie (1940)
- Men of Boys Town (1941)
- Calling Dr. Kildare (1942)
- The Human Comedy (1943)
- The Lady and The Monster (1944)
- Cobra Woman (1944)
- In the Meantime, Darling (1944)
- Yolanda and the Thief (1945)
- Monsieur Beaucaire (1946)
- Till the Clouds Roll By (1946)
- Swell Guy (1946)
- Photograph by James Abbe, Captain Applejack, 1921
- Portrait by Ben Solowey, Diana, 1929
- Portrait by Ben Solowey, A Strong Man's House, 1929
- Photograph, Cobra Woman, 1944
- Photograph, 1944
- ^ a b "Mary Nash Dead; Character Actress Of Stage and Film". New York Times. December 8, 1976. http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F4091FFA3F59157493CAA91789D95F428785F9. Retrieved 2010-10-07. "Mary Nash, whose 40-year career as an actress included stardom on Broadway and success in motion pictures and vaudeville, died Friday at her home in Brentwood, Calif. She was 92 years old."
- ^ Great Stars of the American Stage by Daniel C. Blum Profile #103 c.1952(this 2nd edition c.1954)
- ^ Mary Nash at the Internet Broadway Database
- ^ Hal Erickson, Allmovie, 2006
- Mary Nash at Find a Grave
- Mary Nash at the Internet Movie Database
- Mary Nash at the Internet Broadway Database
- Mary Nash at NY Public Library Billy Rose collection
- Mary Nash in Vanity Fair October 1920 taken by Dorothy Wilding
- Mary Nash in Vanity Fair March 1924 wearing large plumed headdress taken by Edward Steichen
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Mary Nash — Nombre real Mary Ryan Nacimiento 15 de agosto de 1884 Troy, Nueva York, Estados Unidos Fallecimiento … Wikipedia Español
Mary Nash — Dans Petite Princesse (1939) Données clés Nom de naissance … Wikipédia en Français
Nash Bridges — Season 5 title card Genre Police procedural Created by C … Wikipedia
Mary Shakespeare — Mary Arden s home. Mary Shakespeare, née Mary Arden, (c. 1537–1608) was the mother of William Shakespeare. She was the daughter of Robert Arden and his first wife Mary Arden née Mary Webb (second daughter of Sir John Alexander Webb). The Arden… … Wikipedia
Mary Jo Kilroy — Kilroy s official congressional photo portrait, 2009 Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Ohio s 15th district … Wikipedia
Mary Davidson — Mary Frances Davidson (1902 – 29 May 1986) was an Irish Labour Party politician. She was elected to Seanad Éireann on the Industrial and Commercial Panel at a by election on 16 June 1950. She lost her seat at the 1951 Seanad election but was… … Wikipedia
Nash, North Dakota — Nash Census designated place Entering Nash, North Dakota from the East … Wikipedia
Mary Martin — par Carl van Vechten en 1949 Mary Martin est une actrice et chanteuse américaine, née Mary Virginia Martin à Weatherford … Wikipédia en Français
Mary Mara — (* 21. September 1960 in Syracuse, New York) ist eine US amerikanische Schauspielerin. Leben und Leistungen Mara studierte an der San Francisco State University und war in dieser Zeit am Haight Ashbury Repertory Theatre tätig. Anschließend… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mary River (Queensland) — Mary (Moocooboola) Wide Bay River … Wikipedia