- Sexton (office)
A sexton is a church officer charged with the maintenance of the church buildings and/or the surrounding
In smaller churches, this office is often combined with that of
verger. [ cite web|url=http://www.st-thomas-keresley.org.uk/History.htm |title= St Thomas' Church History |accessdate=2007-12-04 ]
In larger buildings, such as
cathedrals, a team of sextons may be employed. [ cite web|url=http://episcopalbayarea.org/joomla/content/blogcategory/0/278/ |title= The Episcopal Diocese of California Employment Opportunities |accessdate=2007-12-04 |date=2007-11-19 ]
Origin of the name
The word "Sexton" is believed to be derived from the Anglo-Norman "segerstein" which itself originated from the Latin word "sacristanus" which basically means "someone who looks after the sacred objects". Fact|date=December 2007
Amongst the traditional duties of the sexton in small parishes was the digging of graves - the gravedigger in
Hamletrefers to himself as sexton, for example. [Project Gutenberg [http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/1787 Hamlet by William Shakespeare] Accessed 2007-12-04] In modern times, grave digging is usually done by an outside contractor. The general duties of a modern sexton may include (but are not limited to): [ cite web|url=http://www.oalj.dol.gov/PUBLIC/DOT/REFERENCES/DOT03B.HTM |title=Dictionary of Occupational Titles, Fourth Edition |accessdate=2007-12-04 |date=1991 |publisher=U.S. Department of Labor ]
* Operation and maintenance of mechanical systems, such as fridges, boilers, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning units, hot water systems, kitchen equipment, and piping systems (i.e. gas, water, fire protection, and sewer systems).
* Operation and maintenance of electrical and instrument systems, such as a power distribution system, security/communication system, fire alarms, telephone wiring and computer LAN systems.
* Liaison with routine contract maintenance & supply companies regarding fire and safety, pest control and cleaning, etc.
* Ordering/receiving supplies and equipment.
* Aesthetic appearance, security, and fire protection.
* Logistics for events on church calendar (chairs/tables, lighting, acoustics, audio/video, etc)
* Emergency response during bad weather, etc.
* Other building and grounds tasks not handled by a contract service and/or church volunteers, such as the replacement of ceiling light bulbs, returning premises to a neat and orderly state following services and events, disposal of rubbish, and running any local errands or trips that are needed by the church.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Sexton — may refer to:*Sexton (artillery), a self propelled artillery vehicle of World War II *Sexton (office), a church officer charged with the maintenance of the church buildings and/or the surrounding graveyard *Sexton (surname), people with the… … Wikipedia
Sexton — • One who guards the church edifice, its treasures, vestments, etc., and as an inferior minister attends to burials, bell ringings and similar offices about a church Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin Knight. 2006. Sexton Sexton … Catholic encyclopedia
Mae Sexton — Teachta Dála In office May 2002 – May 2007 Constituency Longford–Roscommon Personal details Born 28 April 1955 (1955 04 28) (age 56) Na … Wikipedia
Jess Sexton — William Jess Sexton (b. London, October 28, 1879) came to the United States of America as an infant with his parents who settled in Walla Walla, Washington in 1880. Sexton enlisted in the U.S. Army and served in the Spanish American War and… … Wikipedia
Rachel Sexton — Meteor ist der deutsche Titel eines im Dezember 2003 als Taschenbuch erschienenen Thrillers von Dan Brown (engl. Original: „Deception Point“, 2001). Im Jahr 2005 ist der Titel auch als Hörbuch von LübbeAudio erschienen, gelesen von Anne Moll.… … Deutsch Wikipedia
General Post Office (Dublin) — For other uses, see General Post Office (disambiguation). General Post Office Ard Oifig an Phoist The General Post Office in 2006 … Wikipedia
Verger — A verger (or virger , so called after the staff of the office) is a person, usually a layperson, who assists in the ordering of religious services, particularly in Anglican churches. HistoryThe Office of the Verger has its roots in the early days … Wikipedia
Children of Men — Les Fils de l homme (film) Pour le roman du même nom, voir Les Fils de l homme Les Fils de l’homme Titre … Wikipédia en Français
Children of men — Les Fils de l homme (film) Pour le roman du même nom, voir Les Fils de l homme Les Fils de l’homme Titre … Wikipédia en Français
Les Fils de l'Homme (film) — Pour le roman du même nom, voir Les Fils de l homme Les Fils de l’homme Titre … Wikipédia en Français