- Chief Logan State Park
Chief Logan State Park West Virginia State ParkC&O 2755 Kanawha-class locomotive on static display Country United States State West Virginia County Logan Elevation 1,289 ft (392.9 m) Coordinates Area 3,988 acres (1,613.9 ha)  Established 1969  - Chief Logan Recreation Area 1961  Owner West Virginia Division of Natural Resources Nearest city Logan, West Virginia Website: Chief Logan State Park
Chief Logan State Park is located on 3,988 acres (1,614 ha) about 4 miles (6.4 km) north of Logan in Logan County, West Virginia, United States. The park, the town and the county were all named after Chief Logan, a Mingo (or Ohio Iroquois) Native American leader who lived in the region before the American Revolutionary War. Each summer the Liz Spurlock Amphitheater at Chief Logan State Park is the site for outdoor dramas, including the historical drama "The Aracoma Story" about Shawnee tribal members who lived at the present-day location of the town of Logan. The outdoor drama theater produces the Aracoma story and 2-3 other plays or musicals every year.
The new Chief Logan Lodge and Conference Center opened at the park during the summer of 2006.
Museum in the Park
The Museum in the Park features changing art and history exhibits drawn from the collections of the West Virginia State Museum, including one exhibit on local and regional history. The museum is open from Wednesday through Sunday, and also offers special programs.
- Chief Logan Lodge and Conference Center (75 rooms, indoor pool)
- Outdoor swimming pool
- Liz Spurlock Outdoor Amphitheater
- 25 camping sites (14 with electrical hookup)
- Miniature golf
- Hiking trails (18 miles)
- 7 picnic pavilions
- Wildlife exhibit featuring animals native to West Virginia, including black bears, bobcats, barred owls, red-shouldered hawks, wild boar and native reptiles
- C & O Kanawha class steam locomotive #2755 (static display)
Accessibility for the disabled was assessed by West Virginia University. The assessment found Chief Logan State Park to be generally accessible. The 2005 evaluation found issues regarding access to some walkways and ramps. The report was unclear about accessibility to the outdoor amphitheater and outdoor swimming pool. The new Chief Logan Lodge and Conference Center is completely accessible.
- ^ a b West Virginia State Parks Facilities Grid, accessed March 29, 2008
- ^ a b Where People and Nature Meet: A History of the West Virginia State Parks. Charleston, West Virginia: Pictorial Histories Publishing Company. April 1988. ISBN 0-933126-91-3.
- ^ Guide to Accessible Recreation and Travel in WV, WVU Center for Excellence in Disabilities web site, accessed August 21, 2006
- Chief Logan State Park web site
- Chief Logan Lodge and Conference Center web site
- The Aracoma Story, Inc. - produces the outdoor dramas at Chief Logan State Park
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Chief Plenty Coups (Alek-Chea-Ahoosh) State Park and Home — Chief Plenty Coups (Alek Chea Ahoosh) Home U.S. National Register of Historic Places U.S. National Historic Landmark … Wikipedia
Moncove Lake State Park — Coordinates: 37°37′11″N 80°21′12″W / 37.61972°N 80.35333°W / 37.61972; 80.35333 … Wikipedia
North Bend State Park — Coordinates: 39°13′15″N 81°06′35″W / 39.22083°N 81.10972°W / 39.22083; 81.10972 … Wikipedia
Mont Chateau State Park — Coordinates: 39°39′33″N 79°50′52″W / 39.65917°N 79.84778°W / 39.65917; 79.84778 … Wikipedia
Medicine Rocks State Park — IUCN Category V (Protected Landscape/Seascape) Medicine Rocks State Park … Wikipedia
Missouri Headwaters State Park — Three Forks of the Missouri U.S. National Register of Historic Places U.S. National Historic Landmark … Wikipedia
Droop Mountain Battlefield State Park — Coordinates: 38°06′45″N 80°16′19″W / 38.1125°N 80.27194°W / 38.1125; 80.27194 … Wikipedia
Watoga State Park — Coordinates: 38°06′13″N 80°08′59″W / 38.10361°N 80.14972°W / 38.10361; 80.14972 … Wikipedia
Delaware State Park — This is about the Ohio State park. For state parks in Delaware, see List of Delaware state parks. Delaware State Park Ohio State Park Natural Monument (IUCN III) … Wikipedia
Makoshika State Park — One of the many views in Makoshika State Park Rock formations in the park … Wikipedia